Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Maxstone 10 budget build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2014, 11:05 AM   #41
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Maxstone 10 budget build

I would be worried about how much of that body you have to chop up to avoid too much wheel rub with 2.2's. It looks much better than the stock body, of course that doesn't take much to get better than the stocker. On my MaxStone10 I took the 17mm Hexes and 6.3" diameter tires off my 1/8 Mad Torque and slapped them on my Max Stone 10 and it crawls at least 100% better with just the big tire change and wider stance. With the long wheelbase of the MS10, the big 6.3's keep it from high centering as much and it has greatly expanded the obstacles I can climb over now. I still need to get a handle on the torque twist and get the CoG lower.
DeoreDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2014, 05:04 PM   #42
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeoreDX View Post
I would be worried about how much of that body you have to chop up to avoid too much wheel rub with 2.2's. It looks much better than the stock body, of course that doesn't take much to get better than the stocker. On my MaxStone10 I took the 17mm Hexes and 6.3" diameter tires off my 1/8 Mad Torque and slapped them on my Max Stone 10 and it crawls at least 100% better with just the big tire change and wider stance. With the long wheelbase of the MS10, the big 6.3's keep it from high centering as much and it has greatly expanded the obstacles I can climb over now. I still need to get a handle on the torque twist and get the CoG lower.
Yep. I think I will set it up for mostly droop but will take everything below the headlights and tail lights. Custom bumpers from the "scale chassis" to round it out. I would like to see some pics of yours if you get a chance. Haven't seen one set up like that.
mowheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:26 PM   #43
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowheelin View Post
Yep. I think I will set it up for mostly droop but will take everything below the headlights and tail lights. Custom bumpers from the "scale chassis" to round it out. I would like to see some pics of yours if you get a chance. Haven't seen one set up like that.

Swapped Knuckles and axle shafts between my Max Stone 10 and my Mad Torque because I needed 12mm Hexes on my mad torque for a scale build I was doing. All the parts bolted right up together. Width with the setup is about 1" wider than stock.

Last edited by DeoreDX; 03-13-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:10 PM   #44
Rock Stacker

Sure does look like a monster truck.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:25 PM   #45
Pebble Pounder

So no issues fitting Axial shafts into the max stone? The stock shafts have a short side and long side. About 1/4" (6mm) difference. The Axial shafts are both the same length. I snapped an axle and stripped the locker. If I get the axial locker diff case locker and dogbones I can just bolt everything right up?

Last edited by DeoreDX; 03-16-2014 at 07:02 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:41 PM   #46
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeoreDX View Post
So no issues fitting Axial shafts into the max stone? The stock shafts have a short side and long side. About 1/4" (6mm) difference. The Axial shafts are both the same length. I snapped an axle and stripped the locker. If I get the axial locker diff case locker and dogbones I can just bolt everything right up?
Short answer. Yes.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:11 PM   #47

So all that is needed is the drivecups and steel lockers? and its a decent crawler? I plan to keep it stock for a while - them cups n lockers taking off bumpers n standoffs for em and mod or compleatly take out wheel foams
lower cg best I can, mess with shocks for torque roll.

Does it handle 3s stock?
if I find the motor is too weak, I may go buy a little $15 axial 540 can

my crawling areas will be bricks mud weeds road...

Edit:
I was also wondering if the axles could go together with eachother, to have 2 axels coming out to say make a 6x6 or something.

Last edited by Higgins909; 06-30-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Higgins909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:03 PM   #48
Rock Stacker

The motor is NOT weak. It is very powerful, just very slow. It's also very accurate at low speeds. I can't do the low speeds stuff near as well with my Wraith and it's 20T motor. I am thinking of trying a 35T in my maxstone.
shahram72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:47 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

You guys must be lucky cause my neighbor bought a 1/10 maxstone and the entire thing fell apart in one week. My scx10 dominated it everywhere and every way. But his did not have upgrades, it was all stock. I have to say, that thing was exceed crap...no offense to anyone.
axial 4x4 crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:11 PM   #50
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by axial 4x4 crawler View Post
You guys must be lucky cause my neighbor bought a 1/10 maxstone and the entire thing fell apart in one week. My scx10 dominated it everywhere and every way. But his did not have upgrades, it was all stock. I have to say, that thing was exceed crap...no offense to anyone.
Let's see......your Scx modded to comp versus his stock ride height, stock tire, NiCd battery way up top, driven by a rookie driver........and you say it wasn't dominant? Really?

Last edited by mowheelin; 07-08-2014 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Misspell
Old 07-09-2014, 01:12 AM   #51
Rock Crawler

cool, looks different (in a bad ass way)
Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:03 PM   #52

Quote:
Let me guess the axle lockers stripped out?
Old 07-10-2014, 09:17 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Seems like this guy just loves to bash exceed any chance he gets. I for one think that they can be decent crawlers for the price. And with a little skill and the right mods can be very capable and durable crawlers.
Anyway I like what you've done so far.
Crawlin' Lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:54 AM   #54
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowheelin View Post
Let's see......your Scx modded to comp versus his stock ride height, stock tire, NiCd battery way up top, driven by a rookie driver........and you say it wasn't dominant? Really?
Yeah really...back then my scx10 didn't have many upgrades on it..
Old 07-11-2014, 11:56 AM   #55
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgins909 View Post
Let me guess the axle lockers stripped out?
I'm not sure, I don't care either hahaha. I think the ring gear stripped out but..I don't know how the internals go together.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:58 AM   #56
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlin' Lobster View Post
Seems like this guy just loves to bash exceed any chance he gets. I for one think that they can be decent crawlers for the price. And with a little skill and the right mods can be very capable and durable crawlers.
Anyway I like what you've done so far.
Yeah I like to bash on exceed, you're right about that. I just don't see the point in wasting money on these. Look at all of you guys, putting axial parts in it just to make it work!? Why not just buy an axial..
Old 07-11-2014, 02:09 PM   #57
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Yeah I like to bash on exceed, you're right about that. I just don't see the point in wasting money on these. Look at all of you guys, putting axial parts in it just to make it work!? Why not just buy an axial..
I wouldn't pay that much for all the cheap plastic parts axial comes with. I could make a better crawler for less out of an exceed base.
Crawlin' Lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #58

Quote:
A MS10 is $140 + axial drive cups and steel lockers $20 is $160 and a axial is like $300
Old 07-11-2014, 02:19 PM   #59
Quarry Creeper

keeping an eye on ur build.

Maxstone 10 custom build is on my menu. it will be my first shafty
JCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:33 AM   #60
Rock Stacker

Keep us informed of your progress, don't let the Exceed haters get you down.
cameron20118 is offline   Reply With Quote

Maxstone 10 budget build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My daughter's trial truck build- Maxstone 16/Little tikes cabover 89redranger Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 9 11-20-2013 09:25 AM
MaxStone 1/8th build Triple88a Superclass Crawlers 1 02-10-2013 08:51 AM
best budget build??? please help drilldeep General Crawlers 3 06-17-2009 08:19 AM
this budget build ok? Bknight Newbie General 10 04-09-2006 10:29 AM