Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Can I remove my steering link and just run 2 tie rods?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 02:07 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Can I remove my steering link and just run 2 tie rods?

Hello Guys,

I would like to gain more clearance ahead of the front axle of my 1/8 Exceed Mad Torque. I would like to do that by removing the bumper bars that clamp to the axle, that leaves the steering link that hangs below exposed.

I have checked, and I can actually run a tie rod directly from each knuckle to the servo horn and remove the steering link (I'll probably switch to high clearance aluminum knuckles too with the tab on top) One tie rod would bolt to the back of the servo horn, the other to the front with the same through bolt. The angles of the tie rods don't change much, so steering action seems like would be the same.

Is there any reason why servos are always connected just to one knuckle and then a steering link runs all the way across from one knuckle to the other?
Its not like removing the servo saver on a SCT or buggy where there is actually protecting the servo from a hit. Also the steering is connected rigidly to the solid axle, unlike when you have a servo on the car chassis and IFS might change the steering angle giving bump steer.

Maybe on smaller scale crawlers only one side is connected to the front of the horn because there is no space behind to run dual tie rods... but in this case I can.

?? thanks!
2WheelFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2014, 02:33 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Can I remove my steering link and just run 2 tie rods?

Yes,...you "CAN", but this adds more Push/Pull torque to the servo at the same time which adds more stress to the gears and internals since the actions end up fighting each other trying to steer, and not steer, at the same time. There are articles with better explanations about the same question on here somewhere.
offroadace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:17 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Typically its not done due to the Tie-Rods being different lengths and will cause one tire to steer more/less than the other. With a CMS and setup this way you'll never get rid of toe-in, or toe-out.

I'm not figuring out how it would cause more stress on the servo, all of the stresses are already transfered to the servo anyway. Having a single or double arm would only change the dynamics on the horn its self, not the servo.

I'm interested if you can provide the link for a better explanation of why it would cause more stress though.
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:29 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

well, the different lenght of the tie rods does not affect the steering angle of the wheels, because two ends would be located at the same height in both knuckles, and the other two ends would attach to the same hole in the servo horn (one in front, horn in the middle, one inthe back); so servo throw is the same for both.

?? I'll think about the servo durability, or get a spare link to cut and try
2WheelFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:05 PM   #5
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterSpec View Post
Typically its not done due to the Tie-Rods being different lengths and will cause one tire to steer more/less than the other. With a CMS and setup this way you'll never get rid of toe-in, or toe-out.

I'm not figuring out how it would cause more stress on the servo, all of the stresses are already transfered to the servo anyway. Having a single or double arm would only change the dynamics on the horn its self, not the servo.

I'm interested if you can provide the link for a better explanation of why it would cause more stress though.
The forces are actually much higher on the servo. Having the wheels tied together with a tie rod allows for forces applied to a tire to be supported by the other tire in most situations. You add odd forces to the servo horn with 2 rod ends connecting at it.

You get unequal steering to each tire due to the arc that the servo swings changing distances unequally to each side.

Overall, it's a very poor design.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:20 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Its not that bad. Ive seen some steering setups on here that wont work as well. If you can get the tie rod attachment point just below where a single tie rod would go, it will work with minimal change in toe. Sorta like a full hydro setup. Get a longer servo arm if need be.

Personally I have found it to be more responsive than a traditional draglink/tierod setup.

However these folks are right that it puts a twisting stress on the splined servo output and bearing instead of a basic push/pull force. Thats probably the biggest downside.
67mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:44 AM   #7
RCC Addict

One of the vendors used to sell a kit to do what you are talking about for the wraith. might still sell it but I'm not sure, the store just changed ownership, I never heard of more servo failures with that setup than normal try it ans see how it goes somewhere you are used to running the truck and if it is having a harder time steering ......... Swap it back

Never know till you try it
halfcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:32 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Of course you can slap a "suicide switch" steering setup on there. You can also lay your pecker on the table and hit it with a hammer. Neither seems like a great idea to me though.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:40 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Must be why you see it so often in the auto industry
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:00 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINister View Post
Must be why you see it so often in the auto industry
You sorta do but the only one that even kinda sorta works is on fords ttb suspension setup. Jeep has used it for decades, same with 66-77 broncos but they both have issues turning one tie rod into a pretzel.

Now that I think of it the early jeeps were basically a suicide switch setup. They are bump steering machines!
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:00 PM   #11
RCC Addict

The difference is this is a toy that is close to or under 10lbs and personal safety is not involved bump steer is minimal with this setup, rc onroad pancars run the same style stup all the time the best suggestion is try it, if you don't like it change it back
halfcab is offline   Reply With Quote

Can I remove my steering link and just run 2 tie rods? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
vp tie rods vito Axial Wraith 6 10-23-2012 02:01 PM
tie rods wheely king 388 HPI Wheely King 6 08-30-2007 12:41 AM
Steering rods, tie rods & links? Articulet HPI Wheely King 3 06-27-2007 02:03 PM