Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: TCX-10 Trail Platform - listening axial?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default TCX-10 Trail Platform - listening axial?

Just putting it out there Axial. Stop re-skinning your old (SCX is actually ancient) models and calling them new.

Focus on a TCX-10 Trail platform. Front mount motor and tranny with a transfer case and CMS. You can even share everything else with the SCX and we'd all be happy.

It wouldn't cost that much to reconfigure the SCX running gear, build a lower cost transfer case, and some delrin front tranny/motor and CMS mounts. Throw in new axle cases that still uses most of the same internals (maybe a smaller OCP?), and you would actually have a low consumer/development cost NEW kit. I know I know, GCM, Dinky, RC4WD parts all have ways of doing this, but the astronomical costs associated with it could be reduced to almost the same price that an SCX kit its now.

Add a hard body that is not (dare I say it) a Jeep product, and I think you'd have a hot selling little kit. Ok the hard body may be pushing it.

Time to move forward Axial... Thoughts everyone?

Last edited by Arctic Fire; 03-09-2014 at 12:05 PM.
Arctic Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2014, 12:26 PM   #2
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: TCX-10 Trail Platform - listening axial?

I love where you're going with that. I'd like to give Axial more business. Sounds a lot like the TF2 which I love, but with Axial touches like more plastic (not necessarily a bad thing) and more robust gears and more durable overall.

They have that Jeep license to pay for so how likely is a new truck to NOT be a Jeep?
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:31 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

They really do need to release a new platform, the scx is great, but a refresher would be nice. Maybe some new axle cases that have a removable 3rd member like the ar60 axles and universals.
Gen3_Teg_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

They can do so much with what the they already have. How much would a mass produced axial transfer case cost, like 10-15 dollars? It's a case with two pinions, 4 bearings. Why are they so damn expensive! Things they could easily update/change but keep the same internals, and things that may be a good idea

New "all in one" transmission case that has a molded in forward mount and servo mount
New axle cases (possibly new shafts if they have an OCP)
New frame, but keep the old shock mounts and shocks
plastic high clearance knuckles
scale looking links (or just different than the stock ones for a change)
35t motor from the box
Much larger, more easily accessible watertight box. My thoughts on this are an ESC case that includes a watertight compartment for radio/running electronics. maybe with snap close lid or wing nuts. An "all in one" radio/esc box

and while we are at it- cut a deal with a china brand winch- They're cheap. Include it with the stock RTR on a third channel. That would be something to get newcomers excited. A scale truck with a working winch.

Let's get excited about axial again...

Last edited by Arctic Fire; 03-09-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Arctic Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:33 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

i miss my old SCX. didnt have that much money tied up in it either excluding wheels and tires.

dut definitely an updated chassis, kit form, with CMS/front motor/tcase in the box. and SCX width ar60s would do it for me
nharkey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:51 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Im sick to my ba**z will scx10, and as you also laugh when i see a "new" scx10 released with a new shell. Lol

Definetly would be cool with a motor up front, etc...
GRU regardless had it came with a kit or rtr model.

So much you can do....agreed :-D
SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:58 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Shorter ar60 axles would be the best addition to a scx type rig. The drive train was old when the truck came out in the first place really. I also like the cms/front motor/transfer idea and less jeeps. I don't have a problem with jeep particularly but dang their everywhere. Maybe a Tahoe or 80's/90's big body Bronco would be nice but I think I'm stretching it. Or bring back the B-17 Betty. I love that body.
Attached Images

slim_chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:11 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I'd snatch up a set of SCX10 with ar60's.
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:45 PM   #9
RCC Addict

That would be to good to be true , To actually buy rig that's built just how you want it. If all they did was to make the front mounted tranny and a nice simple transfer case and narrowed ar60's to sell separately would be cool too if they kept them affordable.
old man 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:39 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

They do all that and I'm gonna want saddle-pack battery mounts, too.
KJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:03 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Axial's the only company that we're directing this to? Seems we got this kinda back-asswards. 98% of rigs on the trail, stock or custom, are at least sporting their diffs, if not the whole drivetrain. Listening every other rc manufacturer?? Let's see some REAL competition!
jado6006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:14 AM   #12
RCC Addict

I'm an Axial fan for life, but I agree with everything above....time to step it up to the next level of scale design!
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:45 AM   #13
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jado6006 View Post
Axial's the only company that we're directing this to? Seems we got this kinda back-asswards. 98% of rigs on the trail, stock or custom, are at least sporting their diffs, if not the whole drivetrain. Listening every other rc manufacturer?? Let's see some REAL competition!
I'd say the Twin Hammer is some good competition. Is that not along the lines of what many were looking for when the Wraith came out? The Exo was so far off the mark look how much of a flop it was.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:04 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim_chance View Post
Shorter ar60 axles would be the best addition to a scx type rig. The drive train was old when the truck came out in the first place really. I also like the cms/front motor/transfer idea and less jeeps. I don't have a problem with jeep particularly but dang their everywhere. Maybe a Tahoe or 80's/90's big body Bronco would be nice but I think I'm stretching it. Or bring back the B-17 Betty. I love that body.
Eh you dont really see Tahoes or the bigger bodied Broncos out on the trails crawling. You would see the Bronco more than the Tahoe for sure, but its not the first choice. The rig is too big in 1:1. I can see why they went with a Toyota look alike and then a Jeep. Seeing an FJ40, International Scout II, an older style Bronco (66-77), a Suzuki Samurai, would be pretty cool.
alpine4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:07 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I Would be more than happy with just a plastic centered AR60, 8° inclined knuckles/hubs, updated scx skid like the wraith with all upper link mounts built into it but scx width. And keep going the direction there going with licensed scale awesomeness (tires, wheels, accessories).
WAFFLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:37 PM   #16
RCC Addict

79 Toyota lexan (i agree...LAY OFF the Jeeps already!!) lol
SCX10 c-frame w/Wraith skidplate (also a wider chassis overall)
CMS/Panhard
Shortened AR60s
2-speed trans (or) motor up front and a GRU using the existing Wraith transmission?
2.2 Walker Evans on 2.2 Interco Swampers

Anthing else such as links, drivetrain components, etc can remain stock to keep costs down on a Kit.

This is one way id buy another one of these platforms. But by throwing another wraith or scx10 at us with a new body and calling it NEW? :P
SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:11 PM   #17
RCC Addict

I agree, but I'd like to see an older pick up with a separated drop bed. Maybe leaf sprung rear end.

Sent from my LG-P509 using Tapatalk 2
mitchr97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:04 PM   #18
20K Club

You know why they make Jeeps? Because that's what people buy.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:20 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
You know why they make Jeeps? Because that's what people buy.
Pretty much. When people think of offroading the rig they think of first is of course a Jeep. Jeeps dominate the 4wheeling scene followed by Toyotas and then on down the line with Ford, Chevy, Suzuki, IH, Land Rover, Dodge, etc making up a much smaller portion.
alpine4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:21 PM   #20
RCC Addict

And I don't think you guys realize the price of molds. At our company, a small fairly simple mold (just the mold and not the molding euipment) is $10000 to $15000.

And if you guys want tight tolerances on those parts, guess what, it costs more.

I don't know if axial has their own machinery or outsources but each part you guys request, picture minimum of $10000 per mold. Yeah they'll make a bunch of parts from that mold, but if they're selling plenty of what they have currently, why chance the money?

And when I sat per mold, that's not a complete (for example transfer case) per mold, each part in the transfer case needs it's own mold.

If sales slow or market changes, you'll see something new

Yeah there are aftermarket companies offering what you guys request, but odds are, they're not getting rich off it.

They do it for the love of the hobby

Last edited by Richterat83; 03-11-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Richterat83 is offline   Reply With Quote

TCX-10 Trail Platform - listening axial? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Listening to music? EeePee Chit Chat 10004 04-19-2024 01:48 PM
Axial Wraith Front Sway Bar on the scx10 platform BuhBoombuh Axial SCX-10 23 08-22-2013 11:48 AM
What are you listening to in your shop? 1tonscout Chit Chat 31 07-20-2013 08:54 PM
It is 5 am, and you are listening to Los Angeles EeePee Chit Chat 4 10-17-2010 09:15 AM
Listening To Anything Good? 2JSC Chit Chat 33 07-22-2008 04:48 PM