Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: scx10 racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2014, 08:48 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default scx10 racing

ok so there is this event coming up in my area where its set up like monster jam and vehicles like clods and 2wd monster trucks are used etc... it also says scalers can be used so my plan is to throw in a titan 12t motor and use either a 20t or 23t pinion with the stock 87t spur gear with a 9.6v nimh battery and disconnect the front drive shaft and prolly take out the locked gear in the front axle and use my stiffer shocks since im gonna be doing some jumping and kinda tight cornering but i cant say for certain without knowing the course cause it isnt made yet i already have my tires im using which are wild willy 2 tires but my main concern is what kind of speed and jump height can i expect to see and what kind of disadvantages would i be facing im also not sure if they allow 4ws and if they do than more power to me
roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2014, 01:57 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: scx10 racing

I can't give an answer on what speed to expect but ill try to help otherwise. If you can run 4wd I would try getting open diffs front and back. This will help in turning. Even if you only can run 2wd an open diff will help in handling and help avoid spinning out in corners. If axial open diffs are not available in time it looks like exceed 4wd truggy open diffs might work. I havent tested this but I have a pair and they look amazingly close to axial units. Exceed is a clone company after all.
As far as springs go I would not go too stiff because it would cause the truck to bounce more in rougher areas andwhen landing jumps.
disadvantages
nimh battery-shorter run time, heavier weight, and lower overall power. Lipo would be more suitable
narrower wheel track makes keeping it shiney side up at speed tougher.
live axels don't take bumps at speed as good as independent suspension.

Advantages
Smaller than most monster style rigs possibly making it more nimble with the right mods.

they probably include scalers for rigs more like the Wraith. The scx10 isn't really ment for very much speed. If you do run it I would like to see how it turns out though.
slim_chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:04 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

It sounds like a roll fest. I don't think this car was built to turn fast or even go fast. I think the monster trucks will fare better because they have a much wider track making them more stable. I don't see the point of this.
shahram72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:41 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

well one of the points for this is scalers are said to be allowed at the event and its monster truck based and well monster trucks started out as regular trucks with big tires and big lifts my plan is to take a scx10 as try racing it as a monster truck yes i know what the scx10 is made for and well i want to adapt it to whatever i feel like putting it through. i also found out that there is gonna be a 4wd class as well so i can swap the axle in between and i think for now im going to keep the rear axle the same and make the front axle open or just take out the locker and have the free spinning if the corning doesnt seem to be good with it set up that way i may go open diff in the rear but 4ws is allowed so that should make it easier to turn cause i already turn on a dime with 4ws and since i got a shorter wheelbase i should have the advantage in cornering cause i dont have to take such a big turn the jumps are the scary parts and a little bit of the straight aways due to the fact that i dont have lipos to run
Old 03-20-2014, 03:49 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I am interested in how you do. I don't know if you have a lipo ready charger or time or money but zippy lipos are $20-$30 online. You just have to put what ever connecters you are using on them. I have been running some in my ax10 with no issues.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:53 AM   #6
www.ottsix.com

I was into monster trucks years ago. At the time, and I don't know if it's still this way, we would set them up to accelerate like a rocket (big motor small pinion) but they didn't have big top speed. This was because the courses were fairly compact and had a lot of jumps that were set up close to the turns...so the trucks needed a lot of "pop".

tons of fun that's for sure
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #7
20K Club

1. Get a Lipo
  2. Get some better tires.
  3. Lower the suspension so that your axle is as close to the frame rail as possible at full bump.
  4. Set the weight bias to the rear

Like Crawl-O said, crazy top speed is not going to win you the race most likely. You are going to need to stay on your wheels.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:06 PM   #8
www.ottsix.com

The driver who stays on all 4's usually wins.
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:31 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim_chance View Post
I can't give an answer on what speed to expect but ill try to help otherwise. If you can run 4wd I would try getting open diffs front and back. This will help in turning. Even if you only can run 2wd an open diff will help in handling and help avoid spinning out in corners. If axial open diffs are not available in time it looks like exceed 4wd truggy open diffs might work. I havent tested this but I have a pair and they look amazingly close to axial units. Exceed is a clone company after all.
As far as springs go I would not go too stiff because it would cause the truck to bounce more in rougher areas andwhen landing jumps.
disadvantages
nimh battery-shorter run time, heavier weight, and lower overall power. Lipo would be more suitable
narrower wheel track makes keeping it shiney side up at speed tougher.
live axels don't take bumps at speed as good as independent suspension.

Advantages
Smaller than most monster style rigs possibly making it more nimble with the right mods.

they probably include scalers for rigs more like the Wraith. The scx10 isn't really ment for very much speed. If you do run it I would like to see how it turns out though.
IIRC HPI spider gears work dont they?
DeoreDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:47 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I have no idea. Never had a set.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:00 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

If this is something you think will be done and repeated often with your rig, I would suggest investing in some wraith axles. As for suspension the stock shocks, with bump stops in, should work. if you want stiffer springs I pretty sure the buggy associated rear springs fit in place of the dual rate stock springs(pretty cheap and come in stiff med and soft). Not sure what motor you run now, but a 27t or a wraiths 20 turn stock motor should work fine for your acceleration(and if you want a little more wheel speed a 23t or so pinion), whats gonna kill you is the drag brake, definitely wanna turn that off. Without replacing axles, keep it low, watch your brace in the front above the servo, maybe run the front buggy springs in the stock shocks, decent bit shorter. I have a set, if you want a pic just pm me and ill send you one.
Dad,Canyoufix? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:09 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

thanks for all the suggestions i cant wait to see how it does but i first have to get home to fiddle with it been staying at my friends for a while due to a bad breakup and who doesnt love pics
Old 03-23-2014, 02:49 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Here's a pic of a few pinions and a 81t spur. Stock scx10 honcho shocks two have rear buggy springs on them(gold=standard & silver=firm). The other two have front buggy springs on them. Set one up with the firm silver springs and the stock smaller gray spring for absorbing small bumps by utilizing the dual rate feature. The other is just a standard front buggy spring that is slightly more firm than the stock gray spring.

Not sure what combo would be best for you but maybe some of the more experienced tuners could help.
Attached Images

Dad,Canyoufix? is offline   Reply With Quote

scx10 racing - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
can an scx10 be used for racing & bashing rcenthused Axial SCX-10 18 12-23-2010 05:22 PM