RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   General Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/)
-   -   Wraith center axle Diff cover for 6x6 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/490932-wraith-center-axle-diff-cover-6x6.html)

rockhugger 04-10-2014 03:08 AM

Wraith center axle Diff cover for 6x6

has anyone with the capability thought about making a AR60 Diff cover that would allow you to add a second pinion making it a center axle for a 6x6?

1tonscout 04-10-2014 08:36 AM

Re: Wraith center axle Diff cover for 6x6

Gcm metalhead axles are the only "wraith" axles that I've seen with the potential. I've never seen it done before, but I'm sure Clay at Carter Fab could make it happen"thumbsup"

rockhugger 04-10-2014 11:29 AM

I think all that needs to be done is a diff cover (aluminum of course) with bearing pockets and ready to bolt on would be fairly simple to do. Stock housing would work to keep the cost down. "thumbsup"

1tonscout 04-10-2014 01:11 PM

Do you have a wraith axle? there are 4 tiny screws that hold the diff cover on. Definitely not enough material structurally to mount a pinion on the cover side unless it bolted to the bearing caps

Harley 04-10-2014 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1tonscout (Post 4740925)
Do you have a wraith axle? there are 4 tiny screws that hold the diff cover on. Definitely not enough material structurally to mount a pinion on the cover side unless it bolted to the bearing caps

You would use the 4 3mm bearing cap screws. The 4 small screws could be used additionally but probably not worth it.

I've seen a couple drawings of people planning to do it but never seen anyone follow it through. The 6x6 market just isn't very big.

1tonscout 04-10-2014 01:50 PM

The gcm axles could easily be converted

Meatwad 04-10-2014 07:42 PM

It's a good idea, also seen a couple decent looking protos. One in particular looks very decent. Indeed a small market but hope to see one make the light of day.

rockhugger 04-10-2014 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley (Post 4740946)
You would use the 4 3mm bearing cap screws. The 4 small screws could be used additionally but probably not worth it.

I've seen a couple drawings of people planning to do it but never seen anyone follow it through. The 6x6 market just isn't very big.

that's what I was thinking, along with having the cover extend out to the plug weld holes, drilling and tapping them and adding screws, or tying it into the truss screw holes (top & bottom), all these things along with thickness can add rigidity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1tonscout (Post 4740969)

I don't want to buy a new axles ( that I can't afford anyway )

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meatwad (Post 4741292)
It's a good idea, also seen a couple decent looking protos. One in particular looks very decent. Indeed a small market but hope to see one make the light of day.

that's kind of why I finally posted it, maybe if there is rumble and interest, it could happen.... I could make one for myself, albeit crude, I just could never produce them.

I went through my materials today, I'll post up whatever I make here for you guys to see.

"thumbsup""thumbsup"

slim_chance 04-11-2014 03:14 AM

Not really the way you are talking about this guy just used a second transfer mounted between the rear axles.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...64542518,d.cWc

monkeyracer 04-11-2014 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1tonscout (Post 4740969)

That is exactly why the design was done this way. Early in the design it was brought up that it would be nice to be able to convert these to 6X6 center axle capability. So far, I don't think a single person has done it, but that was a factor when I was designing them.

As far as making something capable for the wraith, it would need to mount to the bearing cap screws (M3 vs tiny M2) and machined from aluminum. For something machined, you would need enough interest for it to be worth doing (one offs are expensive). 6X6's are already rare, but one the size of AR60 axles is even more rare.

I think what might help is that if enough people see a viable prototype, that might spark some interest in making a big 6X6, causing some demand for the conversion piece, allowing a manufacturer to get on board with actually making it.