Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: 3d Printing Chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 01:10 PM   #1

Default 3d Printing Chassis

Hi,

I have scaled up an axial wraith chassis to be compatible with an HSP. The idea was that I would build it by brazing. Just out of curiosity I uploaded (not yet complete) 3d design of the chassis onto i.materialise.com. They can also print in stainless steel. Does anyone have any experience with 3d Printing chassis. Is the end result strong enough to work as a crawler chassis?

Any opinions?

[/url]

Thanks,
Sean
seansammut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2014, 01:21 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: 3d Printing Chassis

I am currently in the process of printing a tuber too. I am in a 3D Printing class my gallery is offering (it's free, so I'm in it).

My application is strictly WE Rock unlimited class, so pretty slow and scale.

The metals is definitely an intriguing material for these printers... Game Changer...
tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:30 PM   #3
RCC Addict

There was a guy on here and on scale4x4 that prints a Wild Willys chassis.

Haven't heard much lately on that project.
tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

That's really cool, I had no idea that was an option let us know how it turns out
1tonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:54 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I'd be curious to the process to see if it uses a fill material for support while the main part is being printed.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:59 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I would be curious to know it was durable enough to handle full on action. It certainly should be good enough to check clearances and other prototyping.

Last edited by Fishmaxx; 04-02-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Fishmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:06 PM   #7
20K Club

Not an application I would consider 3D printing. I have tons of 3D models of chassis and have the 3D printer at home, but the amount of support material, the number of direction changes in the tubes and such would cause odd printing requirements. A rail chassis would be different but still not where 3D printing is ideal. It's strong but not that strong. I would not use it in suspension applications at all.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:32 PM   #8
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Not an application I would consider 3D printing. I have tons of 3D models of chassis and have the 3D printer at home, but the amount of support material, the number of direction changes in the tubes and such would cause odd printing requirements. A rail chassis would be different but still not where 3D printing is ideal. It's strong but not that strong. I would not use it in suspension applications at all.
I guess I should me that I'm referring to a scale truck. Small scale rigs or rigs that are going for an optimal minimal design I can see some applications.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:45 PM   #9

Its been scaled to fit an HSP 1:8 crawler. According to their website:

"Models made in stainless steel are printed in stainless steel powder that is infused with bronze. Stainless steel is the cheapest form of metal printing, very strong and suitable for very large objects."

I've seen a few videos of designs made by them in stainless steel. Seem to be quite solid. Not yet sure but its not expensive so I might give a try and see how it goes.

There are also some guidelines (tips and tricks) to get a better product. Minimum thickness etc..
Old 04-02-2014, 09:08 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Shapeways is also another option. They offer several types of materials also.
tgh117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:22 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Wouldn't the 'sintered' type of construction that 3D printing gives result in embrittlement?
stewbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:23 PM   #12
TSK
Shelf queen

Be the pioneer and just try it. If it fails, you know for a fact it isn't strong enough.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:22 AM   #13
RCC Addict

I work for a 3d printing company and I'd probably print it out of SLS nylon or SLS titanium because those print without supports for the most part and you don't have any weakness between layers. The metal printers are limited to the size that they will print though. You'd have to break it down into a few sections. Even the $1,000,000 printers only print a volume about 6" x 6" x 6". There are a few out there that will print up to 12" x 12" x 12", but they are generally reserved for aerospace and government type jobs. I've actually printed stuff like that out of nylon before for other projects and it holds up well. I don't know about the other products out there, but using my stuff I'd do the following:

1. Use Geomagic Design to double check the printability. You can pick the different printers and materials and it will tell you where it's too thin and needs beefing up.
2. Submit job to QuickParts and talk to one of the project managers. It would be assigned to them and they can explain exactly how it would be made. Heck, if you're going to beat it up too badly, they can even have it welded or braised out of tubing or solid rod. QuickParts will have anything you want manufactured in any method you need.
3. Wait and the item is shipped to you.

I'm not trying to sound like a commercial, but there are definitely technologies that are doable for that type of part. FDM isn't applicable like Harley said because you need a ton of supports. Another reason why FDM isn't going to be ideal is the stratification (layers). When you have those long tubes traversing more than one layer, you have a week point (especially if a tube is printed in Z). SLS and SLM don't need supports for the most part and don't have defined layers. SLS and SLM printers are too expensive for the home still and this is why you need to have a service bureau print them for you. I have them at work, so I get to cheat and work in jobs when it's applicable.

Lastly, it's probably about $1,000 to print that part when you use a service. The amount of material isn't that much, but you're paying for post processing and knowing how to do it.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:08 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

@ ik632

Do you work for 3D or does your company have their stuff?

@ seansammut

If you don't mind, can you let us know approx how much the want for the job?
7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:30 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Wait! The ability to print with metals? Where the hell have I been? I need to start paying attention to the 3d printing field. Dang new stuff happens fast. Probably been printing metal for years.
slim_chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:00 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim_chance View Post
Wait! The ability to print with metals? Where the hell have I been? I need to start paying attention to the 3d printing field. Dang new stuff happens fast. Probably been printing metal for years.
You can print titanium as well as other metals. There is an outfit 3d printing glass. Heck, the bio firms are printing cells to start making skin and simple organs.
7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:57 PM   #17

Sorry guys :( I made an awful mistake. It seems that when I uploaded the file its taking the measurements divided by 10 so instead of being 398mm it showing 39mm which is obviously not the correct dimension. Adjusting the dimensions set the price over 200EUR :( !!! arghhh

back to brazing!
Old 04-03-2014, 04:35 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7echo View Post
You can print titanium as well as other metals. There is an outfit 3d printing glass. Heck, the bio firms are printing cells to start making skin and simple organs.
Just for reference, I recently had a part quoted in Metal SLS, Titanium cause I didn't want to machine it. It was less than 1 cu in of material and smaller than the palm of my hand. Any guesses on the cost........ If you guessed $1,100 per piece then you were correct. In aluminum it was only a mere $600 per piece.

: \ I wish it was cheaper but we are not quite there yet.

That being said I have had really good success printing chassis skids with the ABS stuff on an FDM printer. A little teflon tape on the bottom and you are good to go.
BC-Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:55 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

200 euros isnt a bad price for that kind of chassis imo.
Master Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:02 PM   #20

Wow I did not know you could 3d print with metal powder that's awesome my buddy is looking at getting one going to have to learn to use it any good places too read or programs to download

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk
nismortrd is offline   Reply With Quote

3d Printing Chassis - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3D printing section Tontos_Touch Comments, Suggestions, and Help 3 03-06-2014 12:10 PM
Who does 3D printing? *Call out* Lentsnh2012 General Scale Talk 2 11-29-2013 05:27 PM
3D printing Micropuller Chit Chat 25 11-01-2013 11:47 AM
Looking for 3-d printing help scale4x4 Chit Chat 2 05-02-2013 04:14 PM
3d Printing losikid Tools, and Procedures 12 11-08-2010 12:21 PM