Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: scale you driving your rig!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2014, 02:04 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default scale you driving your rig!

I don't know if anyone has seen this. Its pricy but a cool idea. You could have you in the rig instead of an angry faced wrestler. https://www.yahoo.com/tech/such-a-do...592431558.html
slim_chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2014, 03:17 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: scale you driving your rig!

Cool , who's gonna be the 1st?
crazy nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:32 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I'll stick to my Bob & Doug McKenzie figures. much cheaper.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:33 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy nick View Post
Harley
Dostradamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:24 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

For the Apple users, there's an app that allows you to take a few different images of yourself, send them to "the cloud" and a few days later you get a 3D image. The file can be saved as an .stl file, which is what a 3D printer needs to me a copy of the image.

I'm patiently waiting for the Android version of the app!
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:53 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I've messed around with the "app" mentioned, and there's a PC version that you can take pictures with any digital camera...

123dcatch

However, the software is finicky, and it takes quite a bit of set-up to get it right. I have yet to get a printable file. Way too much work messing with surfaces on .stl files to correct the photogrammetry quirks.

My 3D printer is more than capable of it, and I definitely planned on swapping my head onto one of the target skater bodies I have, but I need to get someone that is willing to take like 60 pictures of my head...

If someone wants to try this with their own head, send me a PM, I'd be willing to look at the 3D file and try to print it out.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:37 AM   #7
No idea what I'm doing

You can do it with 2 photos (front and side view) and Blender 3D. I did this years ago on our old printer...it's one of our engineers here at work. I have a larger version as a tap handle on my keg at home. Blender is free.

C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:01 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim_chance View Post
I don't know if anyone has seen this. Its pricy but a cool idea. You could have you in the rig instead of an angry faced wrestler. https://www.yahoo.com/tech/such-a-do...592431558.html
Very cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy nick View Post
Do eeet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
For the Apple users, there's an app that allows you to take a few different images of yourself, send them to "the cloud" and a few days later you get a 3D image. The file can be saved as an .stl file, which is what a 3D printer needs to me a copy of the image.

I'm patiently waiting for the Android version of the app!
Nice app, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
I've messed around with the "app" mentioned, and there's a PC version that you can take pictures with any digital camera...

123dcatch

However, the software is finicky, and it takes quite a bit of set-up to get it right. I have yet to get a printable file. Way too much work messing with surfaces on .stl files to correct the photogrammetry quirks.

My 3D printer is more than capable of it, and I definitely planned on swapping my head onto one of the target skater bodies I have, but I need to get someone that is willing to take like 60 pictures of my head...

If someone wants to try this with their own head, send me a PM, I'd be willing to look at the 3D file and try to print it out.
Do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
You can do it with 2 photos (front and side view) and Blender 3D. I did this years ago on our old printer...it's one of our engineers here at work. I have a larger version as a tap handle on my keg at home. Blender is free.
Cool, but definitely not as accurate.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:12 PM   #9
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Cool, but definitely not as accurate.
True, but keep in mind this was done almost 10 years ago, and modeled during just a few lunch hours. The printers that are out now can keep incredible detail. If I was to do it again, I'd send the file off to Shapeways.

Actually, I may have to do that in order to get the size helmets I want for one of my current builds.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:12 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post

123dcatch

The target skaters are already perfect otherwise. New heads for them would be great.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #11

Helmets would be perfect option! Safty 1st right?
Yaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:00 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Another option for a Scale "You" driver.

"That's My Face"

You can get just the head for your favorite 5-8" figure too!
offroadace is offline   Reply With Quote

scale you driving your rig! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
who's DRIVING your scale rig?action figures chicostaxxs007 Scale Accessories 333 08-15-2023 03:59 PM
Scale Driving..am I the only one? DieselJC General Scale Talk 73 09-30-2014 03:19 PM
Super scale driving of a super scale Wraith pardonmyn00b Scale Videos! 0 12-02-2012 03:45 PM
Scale driving TAT76 General Scale Talk 44 10-22-2010 10:45 AM
gearing for under driving and over driving the diffs ax10oz Axial AX-10 Scorpion 10 04-12-2010 08:52 PM