Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Upgrades really needed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2014, 08:51 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Upgrades really needed?

I and others read all the time, don't buy "X" brand because you are buying cheap stuff, and will have to upgrade this and this. I only have axial based rigs, but still read you need to upgrade this and this . So then whats the difference if you are replacing most everything on both brands? I know Axial makes a better product, then X brand but thought it funny how most is replaced anyway. Are these so called upgrades really needed ? Drive shafts------yeah I can see where upgrades are necessary, but what about trans, axles, etc. I am in the process of building a wraith 1.9 for my 3yr old son, and a wroncho for myself. I have had some scx-10's that I sold off, but never really had any issues with them. I see beef tubes, bullet proof tranny's and axle sets.........oh my . Are you people running these things off cliffs? I mean is this xtra stuff really needed? Just wondering what some of you think. Oops forgot to add, yea I can see if you are in comp's and such, but for just low key trail runs, and crawling

Cheers,
Wade

Last edited by Wade; 05-03-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2014, 09:03 AM   #2
MODERATOR™

Default Re: Upgrades really needed?

I say no. Most of my stuff is bare essentials upgraded and far from overly done bulletproof. I do what I have to do, but not anymore, which is a lot less than a lot of people it seems. But it's relative to what I do, and what's powering my trucks, and even how I drive.

Off cliffs is funny. Cause it might be true...

Minimalism is good.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:44 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I'd say they are fairly reliable. I've only got kit-versions with the minor upgrades that follow them compared to rtr, and a few other things, but I can count the parts I've replaced on one hand. But again it depends on what powers it and how you're driving. My Wraith is going 4-pole brushless in a couple of week and I strongly suspect I'll have use for all the upgrades I've got laying for it. If you drive with a regular brushed motor I'd just upgrade when things break.
Odd-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

i only have one rig at the moment so my experience is kinda limited. i bought the rtr PS wraith and for casual wheeling i guess it does its job but the more i got into it the less capable it seems. after a few weeks of rock crawling/light bashing i needed new diff covers, servo and steering linkages were basically rubber bands. a few more weeks the transmission gears were stripped, the stock plastic links were completely clapped out and my lockouts were loose and wobbly. not to mention the terrible stock gearing which burned through motors, crappy bead locks, and dog bones. i have only the one rig which i take out on average 5-6 hours a week i dont know how much you guys wheel but i think its a pretty serious amount of time. rather than chase down broken parts every week or so i just bit the bullet and upgraded pretty much everything. i think it was well worth upgrading now i can spend more time out wheeling instead of waiting for the mail man.
tacocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:49 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

It is all about how and where you run your rig and what you expect from it. If you dont really have much rock in your area and its not very far from you...then you dont need much upgrades.

It sucks to go with a bunch of people, break your rig, leave the group, end your day and carry your brokenness for a mile(s) to your car.
67mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:58 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I have an scx with a 1.9 wraith, run them on the trails and love them. I put new shocks links and driveshafts on my scx, thing works every time. No hd gears, stock tranny, stock motor and esc. Recently upgraded servo but only paid for a 50-60 savox. 1.9 wraith has scx trans, completely stock. Stock drive shafts and losi comp shocks. All Powered by a ae-2 esc and axial 27t motor. These upgrades are minimal and can be done as you break parts, but as they sit now, I think they will last forever(minis that stock as-3 servo, it's about to get replaced and saved as a back up). Proper maintenance is what most trucks truly need IMO. Not upgrades that make strong enough to drive under a lake or up a almost 1:1 rock hill.

So I think a lot of the "must do's" are really eventually do's. Some of the best parts of owning these rigs is driving it stock and then the thrashing it gets every time you upgrade something to see what changed.

Last edited by Dad,Canyoufix?; 05-03-2014 at 01:01 PM.
Dad,Canyoufix? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:43 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Thanks guys for the responses. Just wondering what people think. Like I stated I am in the process of building two rigs now........the wraith 1.9 will most likely stay stock for my son until he breaks it, which I know he will , but kind of wondering which way I should go on the wroncho....thinking bombproof trans......definitely VP knuckles/chubs for the wraith axles, $200 for a tranny though seems a little bit much $$$. I do have an R2 trans from rc4wd I bought a few years ago for a different project that I may use
Old 05-03-2014, 03:01 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I think small tweaks with Axial rigs are more beneficial than replacing everything even if you don't need it. If you want more steering angle; buy some high steer knuckles and hubs. I can see metal links all around and maybe different gearing front and rear too if you feel it would help for your driving style and terrain.
KillerBlackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:05 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade View Post
Thanks guys for the responses. Just wondering what people think. Like I stated I am in the process of building two rigs now........the wraith 1.9 will most likely stay stock for my son until he breaks it, which I know he will , but kind of wondering which way I should go on the wroncho....thinking bombproof trans......definitely VP knuckles/chubs for the wraith axles, $200 for a tranny though seems a little bit much $$$. I do have an R2 trans from rc4wd I bought a few years ago for a different project that I may use
Try a set of upgraded metal transmission gears and see what happens. Or just wait until it breaks, then upgrade. How much power are you putting through it?
KillerBlackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:34 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBlackbird View Post
Try a set of upgraded metal transmission gears and see what happens. Or just wait until it breaks, then upgrade. How much power are you putting through it?

seconded. i replaced the stock gears with RR idler and one piece bottom gear. running a roc 412 3100kv on 2S these gears have held up great.
tacocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:23 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacocat View Post
seconded. i replaced the stock gears with RR idler and one piece bottom gear. running a roc 412 3100kv on 2S these gears have held up great.
Looking at running the same
Old 05-03-2014, 06:40 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Agreed that not all of these upgrades are needed. I do some of these types of upgrades because field repairing sucks and you can't win if you can't stay on course. If its not a big deal that you break something while out in your backyard and can walk a few steps back to your house then none of this matters. When I drive a couple hours to a comp or trail run, then hike a couple miles in, I don't want anything stopping my fun
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:57 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I will only upgrade to something stronger if I break it more than once. And so far with my current scx, I haven't broke chit.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:45 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

i have a kit dingo and its stock except for a lift kit and tmaxx shocks so i can run 2.2 and i run it hard up and most the time right back down hills ( not a very good driver yet still make lots of mistakes) lol but i have broke nothing yet so i say no and i do some pretty extreme rock crawling some times lol
1santaever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:06 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Steering and tire upgrades ARE really needed in my opinion. Plastic knuckles, linkages and RTR tires are junk. If you just drive sissy trails and piddle up baby hills and stuff then nearly nothing NEEDS upgraded. I'd say the majority of us though push our rigs to perform and then perform further. With that comes the yearning for upgrades.

For instance, I want a crawler that can tackle intricate rock crawls with slow, precise movement and throttle engagement. Yet also be able to blast up a steep hill climb with explosive wheel speed. Can't get that with a stock SCX and one motor choice, so I'm looking at options like the 2 speed trans from RC4wd.

If you want to do it but can't, then yes, upgrades are needed. Or you'll have to learn to be content with what you've got already... and that just won't do will it. It's all the individual really. So simple answer is "yes and no" I guess?
fatsachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:16 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Some "upgrades" are simply fanboy items such as aluminum trans case, and axle housings. I beat my junk like I hate it and seldom have issues with housings other than the random stripped hole.

Alloy knuckles and C hubs are pretty much mandatory if you beat on your rig. For a youngster I'd say getting C hubs from from HR or STRC since they have a decent budget price and decent alloy construction and knuckles from either HR or VP since they have good alloy and bolt on steering arms that can be changed as you modify is the best bang for the buck. Universal front axles are required too since the dog bones are crap. I run all Robinson trans gears but for a budget HR makes a good steel set at a lower price that holds up too. MIP shafts are the best for strength but on a budget modified 3906 e maxx shafts are pretty bombproof. Replace the diff gears and lockers as they brake. I never put stock stuff back in place of busted stock stuff. If I brake it once I'll definitely do it again.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:15 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Both rigs I have are kit versions so I do have the universals
Actually the kit I am using for the wroncho is an original AX-10 with an X Trail chassis. I do plan on going the steel trans gears, and most likely VP knuckles/chubs for the wraith axles.
For the wraith 1.9 I will upgrade as my son breaks things.

Cheers,
Wade
Old 05-04-2014, 08:38 AM   #18
RCC Addict

If your sons rig is an RTR scx10 you don't really need much for it to be reliable and work a little better than out of the box.

At minimum you would want
1.) Upgraded metal lower suspension links.
2.) Upgraded metal steering links.
3.) Bearings upgrade for the Stock servo or an upgrade servo with bearings
4.) A 16T motor pinion gear.

Other than that have fun with it until you maybe break something.

I do have a lot more upgrades myself but were more things I wanted than I needed.I still use the stock steering knuckles and C hubs and driveshafts, trans. etc...

If you drive it like Rambo expect to need to replace more on it.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:49 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
I beat my junk like I hate it and seldom have issues with housings other than the random stripped hole.
:
That's kind of the reason for aluminum trans cases, no more stripped holes.
I wouldn't call that a "fanboy" upgrade.
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:53 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

My sons rig is a wraith kit so it has the metal links So far here is what I am going with
1.9 axial 8 hole beadlock w/ proline super swampers
Solar d772 servo----- great torque for the price
Traxxas XL-10 and Integy 55t lathe motor-----until he gets the hang of driving he is only three
Stock trans
Stock scx10/ax10 axles

Wroncho
Ax-10 with x trail chassis
Trans- most likely RR steel gears
VP knuckles/chubs for wraith axles
Axial honcho body--- going Tacoma style
And either Tekin fxr/35t or brushless ROC 412 3100kv
I am looking at Mechanics Wroncho for inspiration

Cheers
Wade

Last edited by Wade; 05-04-2014 at 12:31 PM.

Upgrades really needed? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
most needed upgrades for baja 5b? Rc_Kid Non Crawler RC's 5 09-12-2009 06:48 AM