Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: New Futaba 4PX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2014, 09:46 AM   #1
E.Y. Designs

Default New Futaba 4PX

Just saw this... Looks pretty crazy... I like the big backlit screen on it... Hopefully it still has the drop down wheel on it too.

EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2014, 09:50 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: New Futaba 4PX

I saw this too, just reviled at a show in Japan. That damn Harley guy can't give us any info yet......I already tried lol. Probably going to have to sell my 4PKS so I can get this.
cherokee95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:39 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

A bit more info here Futaba 4PX Info - Blog kentech
gpilot2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:56 AM   #4
20K Club

The new features list is pretty extensive. I need to go that link and see how much of the info is there/correct. If a lot of it is there maybe I can talk a little more about it.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:05 AM   #5
20K Club

It has been shown at a number of places now that it will work with both FASST (C2) and FHSS. Thats a nice bonus since there are some nice cheap RX options that are lightweight, small, and have the plugs oriented nicely.

There isn't much else on that link with any good info. Looks like most of the good stuff is still pretty quiet.

There are even some things in that picture that people haven't noticed.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:31 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

It will be nice when we get a description that isn't in chinglish. I am really liking the display and the fact that you can reach the rotary pot with your left thumb. Should be awesome for supers/4ws.

Last edited by Calderwood; 05-08-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:52 AM   #7
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderwood View Post
It will be nice when we get a description that isn't in chinglish. I am really liking the display and the fact that you can reach the rotary pot with your left thumb. Should be awesome for supers/4ws.
Hopefully soon. The feature list has NOT been finalized yet, I called this afternoon to ask when we could talk about it but still no date and many of the non-hardware components are still being tweaked.

Yes it should be great for the supers/4WS.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:59 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

it looks nice, but hopefully it has the same fetures of spektrum where you can have 2 radios and 2 trucks, both radios are bound to both trucks and you can still each drive a truck with out the radio trying to controll both.
minnesotamudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #9
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnesotamudder View Post
it looks nice, but hopefully it has the same fetures of spektrum where you can have 2 radios and 2 trucks, both radios are bound to both trucks and you can still each drive a truck with out the radio trying to controll both.
I don't see that nor do I really see it being recommended to Futaba. RX's are bound to one radio only. Futaba radios will run one RX on multiple models, unlike spektrum. This is a nice bonus for having specific setups for different conditions. Such as I have a high speed model and a crawling/trailing model for my latest build.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:16 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
I don't see that nor do I really see it being recommended to Futaba. RX's are bound to one radio only. Futaba radios will run one RX on multiple models, unlike spektrum. This is a nice bonus for having specific setups for different conditions. Such as I have a high speed model and a crawling/trailing model for my latest build.
I agree that that's one of the benefits, not a negative. Makes it easy to let my sons or GF drive my high powered rigs.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:12 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

At the same time, I can see Spektrum's reasoning for being model specific on binding, that way you don't switch on in a model with no end point settings and blow a steering servo, etc. It kind of idiot proofs things. Having multiple parameter sets per model would be a nice option though, like maybe having sub models.
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:37 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIMGREG View Post
At the same time, I can see Spektrum's reasoning for being model specific on binding, that way you don't switch on in a model with no end point settings and blow a steering servo, etc. It kind of idiot proofs things. Having multiple parameter sets per model would be a nice option though, like maybe having sub models.
Only idiots need something to be idiot proof.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:48 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Would figure that I would buy a 4pls and then this thing would come along!

Looks awesome! I really like the display!
2003EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:14 PM   #14

Pretty sweet on the cross compatibility, Those R2106GF receivers are perfect for the EXO, I had one inside the factory receiver box with esc, servo, two fans, bec and light set plugs all fitting in there nicely and the antenna wire as well with no issues.

I might hold out for one of these, I have approx 25-30 Futaba radios, from early 80's to current models and they have all been flawless, wish I could say the same about my glitchy DX3C currently in my wraith
Berman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:49 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Hey Harley, This is a nice move forward for Futaba but are they ever going to get away from all of the buttons and directional joystick nob thingies needed to navigate through sub menu after sub menu? Having to scroll through endless options and then push and then scroll some more. I don't think it is even easy for people that know what they are doing to operate these radios let alone a newer person like myself.

If the world has made cell phones simple to use why can't they make transmitters that way too? iPhones don't come with 1/4 inch thick instruction manuals because they are intuitive and don't need to. See what you need and touch it simple! FlySky has a unit that while I am sure it is not up to Futaba standards it works just like a phone. It even has instructions built in so you don't need a manual for everything.
Session is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:43 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I can tell you this much...my 4pls that I just got is a whole lot easier to program than my airtronics M11 was!!!
2003EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:06 PM   #17
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003EDGE View Post
Would figure that I would buy a 4pls and then this thing would come along!

Looks awesome! I really like the display!
The 4PLS is still a fantastic radio, and bang for the buck it is the way I would suggest 95% of the crawlers to go. The 4PK is really for 5% or less of the crawling community and I have no problem telling most people to save the cash and buy the 4PLS. Hell I run my 4PL or 4PLS on my rigs often times, especially trail runs where falling with the radio is a higher risk.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:14 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
.... where falling with the radio is a higher risk.
Crawlapalooza 2013 come to mind? That was the best fail and save combined ever

Also what was it in the pic you said no one had not noticed yet? I'm sub 4pk type clueless...:(

Last edited by TEDROCKZ; 05-08-2014 at 11:17 PM.
TEDROCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:25 PM   #19
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDROCKZ View Post
Crawlapalooza 2013 come to mind? That was the best fail and save combined ever

Also what was it in the pic you said no one had not noticed yet? I'm sub 4pk type clueless...:(
HAHA! Perfect example, that was my 4PLS.

You'll see on the obvious new feature as soon as details are public. I'm not totally sure on how functional it will be for me personally but it's an interesting idea...
Old 05-09-2014, 05:47 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Looks like you could move the two knobs/buttons behind the steering wheel from one side to the other? Guess I was wrong its to make it left or right handed.

Last edited by hatefulboy; 05-09-2014 at 03:32 PM.
hatefulboy is offline   Reply With Quote