Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Exceed mad torque 1/8 to 1/10 scale budget build!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2014, 11:57 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

My buddy just picked up this 56 F100 body for his rig. Should be sweet when it's all painted.

Sent from my 4gLTEvo
Crawlin' Lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2014, 08:28 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Broke 2 of the rock slider/body mounts today rolling down a hill. So I made some new ones out of cheap alum rod. Seem to work ok so far.

Sent from my 4gLTEvo
Old 06-08-2014, 02:34 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Might have found a new body. Any comments?

Sent from my 4gLTEvo
Old 06-09-2014, 10:53 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Did some trail runs today with my buddies honcho.

He took a tumble down a 60 ft hill. Only broke 1 link end.

Got some good video, I'll work on gettin some links.

Sent from my 4gLTEvo
Old 06-10-2014, 09:08 PM   #25
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Exceed mad torque 1/8 to 1/10 scale budget build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlin' Lobster View Post
Hey mowheelin thanks for checkin out my build and for the recommendation. I'm heavily leaning towards the wp brxl. Would just a single esc be ok on moa if I have no plans for comping?

Sent from my 4gLTEvo
Truck is lookin good so far. Fun is the name of the game. One ESC will work just fine, the only reason for two is to be able to independently control the motors for infinate dig possibilities.
mowheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:08 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowheelin View Post
Truck is lookin good so far. Fun is the name of the game. One ESC will work just fine, the only reason for two is to be able to independently control the motors for infinate dig possibilities.
Cool thanks for the info.

Sent from my 4gLTEvo
Old 06-18-2014, 05:24 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

Guys just a quick tip. Do you realize there are many other threads over these cheap crawlers? Honestly, why even get the exceed rc if you change every part out on it! Not trying to be rude or anything but tp exceed rc is a cheap brand that will end up,as a paper weight unless you dumped a ton of money into it. As always, axial leads the way.lol
axial 4x4 crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:21 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by axial 4x4 crawler View Post
Guys just a quick tip. Do you realize there are many other threads over these cheap crawlers? Honestly, why even get the exceed rc if you change every part out on it! Not trying to be rude or anything but tp exceed rc is a cheap brand that will end up,as a paper weight unless you dumped a ton of money into it. As always, axial leads the way.lol
And there are even more threads about ppl buying axials and changing every part on them so I don't see what the difference is other than $200 in starting cost. I have less than $180 total cost into my exceed and I outcrawl a friend who has $1200 into his scx. If u have any useful advise I'm all ears but don't need to hear about why I need an axial.

Sent from my 4gLTEvo
Old 06-23-2014, 09:00 PM   #29
Rock Stacker

Not every story is the same. I have an Exceed Maxstone 10 and it is quite capable and durable. Let my 4 year old daughter crawl with it yesterday and I was sure she was going to break something wedging it under cars and the shed and on trees while still holding the throttle on a high torque setup and she broke nothing. She was much harder on it than I have ever been. $135. It's a great truck. If something breaks, fix it. Upgrade to Axial if you like. Even stock it's a lot of fun and a great choice for someone on a budget. Better someone has a Maxstone than no crawler at all. The Maxstone is what got me into crawling and it's one of my favorite cars.
shahram72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Update time. I've been busy with work but have done a few mods also.

The rock slider mounts I made didn't hold up for very long due to too much stress on rollovers. There was no support for the roof so after about rolls they kept breaking.

My buddy got his 56 ford body painted and mounted up so we hit some trail runs at a local park.

Lost a rear spring cup so off came the external springs. Drained out the oil and went to a hardware store and got a few sets of small springs to run internally. Put soft in front slightly stiffer in rear. Works good so far but might need to run soft all the way around.
Some extreme ride height pics without shocks.

With new setup.

Decided it was time to make the rear skid plate/motor guard. Cut the mounts down and removed the nubs on the axle tubes so I could rotate it up.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:13 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Got a set of basically brand new axial 2.2 treps from a friend for $10. This things are super stiff so I did a little cutting to open the lugs up.

Had them mounted on my buddies extra rims at first but swapped them to my wheels and added 75g to each wheel. Made an incredible difference in performance.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:37 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Decided it was time for a new body so went to my lhs to see what they had. This one would have been perfect but it wasn't quite 1/10 scale.

I'm a ford guy and really like the raptor so picked up the proline version.

After some minor trimming.

Took a few days to think of a paint scheme. Went with krylon true blue backed by silver and black on the hood bed and bottom of the body for a two tone look. Came out great for my first lexan paint job.

Peeled the film off and applied the decals and some stickers.

Got a piece of 1/8" alum angle and made frame extensions to support the body better and for a later bumper idea. Also cut down the old bottom links to make solid rock slider/body mounts.

Lined up the body and drilled holes. So here's the new body finished and mounted.

Lemme know what you guys think.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:48 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Took it on it's first run with my buddies 1.9 scx with his new cherokee body.

The front flexes into the body nicely but still need to soften the rear. Picked up the springs today just have to change them out.

Donated my old body to the $10 ax10 project since we got it running over the weekend with the 56's old axial esc and it received a new castle sidewinder3. Now his 6 year old daughter is ready to come in trail runs.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:53 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

Not 1/10, but the Vaterra body was nice!

This is a bit more out of proportion with the rig.
But does that matters if you're having fun?

No!
xkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:57 PM   #35

Awesome rides!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:24 PM   #36
Rock Stacker

Enjoying this thread! What do you think about the exceed axle durability? I.e. both impact and drive train?
beomagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:36 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkill View Post
Not 1/10, but the Vaterra body was nice!

This is a bit more out of proportion with the rig.
But does that matters if you're having fun?

No!
I have plans of narrowing the axles a little so the tires won't be sticking out so far. I'm happy with how it sits for now.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:00 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by beomagi View Post
Enjoying this thread! What do you think about the exceed axle durability? I.e. both impact and drive train?
So far the axles are tough as hell. I've beat on them pretty hard a few times. One thing I have noticed is that the rear wheels will turn out if I get only 1 in to much of a bind do to how the c-hubs are locked out. I want to try something similar to what dlux does by cutting the tubes, adding simple beeftubes, and use ax10 lockouts. They are gonna be narrowed probably about 1" so I need to figure out if I want to just cut down my stock axle shafts or find something different that will work. Also need ideas for a cvd for the front axle.
Drive train has had no problems except for 1 gear I snapped, but that was due to the rusty bearings that it came with.

Last edited by Crawlin' Lobster; 07-02-2014 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:12 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Collected all my receipts and did a little math to figure out my total cost so far. Came out just under $210. I will be getting a couple new 55 turn axials motor in the next week so that will add about $35 to the total. Not too bad for a low budget crawler but nothing beats the $10 rig.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:58 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Changed the rears springs out today. Gets a little more flex now.

Exceed mad torque 1/8 to 1/10 scale budget build! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exceed Mad Torque - Extensive Review and build thread monkeyracer Superclass Crawlers 96 06-25-2016 07:55 AM
Budget Mad Torque Build / Custom body srosamechanic Superclass Crawlers 10 12-17-2015 12:16 PM
Exceed Mad Torque Super Build motoj550 Superclass Crawlers 38 10-22-2013 05:13 PM
Exceed mad torque Build dannymac Superclass Crawlers 17 01-30-2013 07:17 PM
New To RC, Exceed Mad Torque Build woodsracer Superclass Crawlers 17 11-08-2012 11:49 PM