Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Exceed mad torque 1/8 to 1/10 scale budget build!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2014, 12:08 PM   #81
Fan of wheelspeed

Default Re: Exceed mad torque 1/8 to 1/10 scale budget build!

Nice work man. I turned a Redcat into a decent "scale-ish" crawler a while back and it handled great. I do have to say that your friend who you split the AX10 with got the better end of that deal for sure. Stock Axial axles are worth far more than $10. Eitehr way keep up the good work. You've got some good ideas going on there.
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2014, 05:42 PM   #82
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdady View Post
Nice work man. I turned a Redcat into a decent "scale-ish" crawler a while back and it handled great. I do have to say that your friend who you split the AX10 with got the better end of that deal for sure. Stock Axial axles are worth far more than $10. Eitehr way keep up the good work. You've got some good ideas going on there.
I wasn't too worried about it. I got what I needed and his now his stepdaughter can wheel with us. So it was a win win. Thanks for checkin out my build. Like all the work u do.
Crawlin' Lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:53 AM   #83
RCC Addict

looks like you are having fun with your exceede. name of the game.
making our own parts and coming up with ideas like your shock and link mounts adds
a lot to the enjoyment, and keeping the cost down is a nice plus.

if you get a chance to show details of the bottom links you made, i am curious to see
what you did. are you using balls? where does the flex come from in the lower links?

will be watching to see what more you come up with yay ford

i was about to buy one of them when i found a redcat rs10 on cl. got it for $80 3 years ago and am
still using it to try new ideas. thinking of making a 6x6 and maybe even an 8x8.
cabron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:01 AM   #84
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabron View Post
looks like you are having fun with your exceede. name of the game.
making our own parts and coming up with ideas like your shock and link mounts adds
a lot to the enjoyment, and keeping the cost down is a nice plus.

if you get a chance to show details of the bottom links you made, i am curious to see
what you did. are you using balls? where does the flex come from in the lower links?

will be watching to see what more you come up with yay ford

i was about to buy one of them when i found a redcat rs10 on cl. got it for $80 3 years ago and am
still using it to try new ideas. thinking of making a 6x6 and maybe even an 8x8.
Which bottom links are you referring to? I've made 2 different sets for it so far. I wanted to start with something different and cheaper and see what I could turn it into. I almost got a rs10 instead but now I'm kinda glad I didn't. I like the beefier setup of the madtorque.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:39 AM   #85
RCC Addict

the first set, the ones you made from the cutting board. I did not see any rod ends
and was wondering what you had come up with for the pivot. and the shape was different from the norm
I see now you went with rod ends and bent tubes
cabron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:07 AM   #86
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabron View Post
the first set, the ones you made from the cutting board. I did not see any rod ends
and was wondering what you had come up with for the pivot. and the shape was different from the norm
I see now you went with rod ends and bent tubes
I did have balls in the cutting board links. Just drilled a smaller hole and used a file to get it where the balls pop in with little force. The axle side would pivot very smoothly but the chassis side did rub a little but pivoted ok for the most part. I really liked those links but it was time for a change.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:20 PM   #87
I wanna be Dave

Never mind the trucks, that scaler park you have is insane, nice work.

I have a good chunk of land to do something like that, but have no idea where to begin. How did you start it out?

Nice work on the trucks too!
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:19 AM   #88
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Never mind the trucks, that scaler park you have is insane, nice work.

I have a good chunk of land to do something like that, but have no idea where to begin. How did you start it out?

Nice work on the trucks too!
It started with this.

And after a group effort it's grown to epic proportions. It's nice cuz there are 3 different sections mainly designed by 3-4 different ppl so we have a good variety of challenges. As for how we went about building it, a lot of digging and brush clearing then marking off trail and adding rocks or other obstacles. The hardest part is collecting the big rocks without buying them. There's always free broken concrete on cl. Pallets make great bridges or just free wood to make whatever and are given away at a lot of places. I have a bunch of friends in construction who frequently have left over material too. The pangolin's owner is a roofer and he just dropped off a load off old tile from a job he did. Most is for the driveway but some will end up on the course.

Basically if u build it they will crawl! Lol
Old 08-03-2014, 12:33 AM   #89
Quarry Creeper

Helped my friend with some changes to the pangolin today. Added some frame extension like I did to the mt and made a drop trans mount.

Driveshaft angle is way better but I think I can make a better plate. This one was all done with pliers, I forgot to grab the vise. Will make a battery holder and mount electronics and try to do some testing tomorrow.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:40 PM   #90
Quarry Creeper

The pangolin turned out good. Made a couple hangers for a battery plate and mounted electronics.

The new skid worked great at reducing torque twist but could use a little reworking of the bends.

While we were testing his truck I had a catastrophic failure with my rear upper link mount.

In the pic you can see how I now have it mounted. I put the rear servo plate back on with a link end attached. Took the ball out of the end and put in a spacer cuz it was shifting the axle. I have to figure out a permanent mount. Might see if I can use a berg upper link mount.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:47 PM   #91
Quarry Creeper

Also use the left over 1/4 alum rod from my links and made some new rock sliders.

Attached them to some alum angle and then to the frame.

Put some Velcro under the hood and bed at both ends of the frame extensions to hold the body in place.

Did a quick test in the driveway.

They should work a lot better than the plastic axial ones. And they fit the body better.

Last edited by Crawlin' Lobster; 08-06-2014 at 03:30 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:04 PM   #92
Rock Stacker

Just saw your thread today and wanted to say "Great Job!" I have a non-comp low budget super running Exceed MoA's and saw some stuff I will try on mine (like the skid/motor plate) soon. It's good to see someone take a run of the mill and make it there own with ingenuity and what parts and tools they have access to. Next time I head up to Aberdeen (in Denver now) to visit my sister
beer is on me!
cameron20118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:54 AM   #93
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron20118 View Post
Just saw your thread today and wanted to say "Great Job!" I have a non-comp low budget super running Exceed MoA's and saw some stuff I will try on mine (like the skid/motor plate) soon. It's good to see someone take a run of the mill and make it there own with ingenuity and what parts and tools they have access to. Next time I head up to Aberdeen (in Denver now) to visit my sister
beer is on me!
Thanks for the feedback. I wanted to make something out of the norm and I think it's gettin there. Once I finish with the mods I have planned and I'm happy with the setup and performance I may think about getting some of my custom parts machined or made for me so they will look a little prettier. But maybe not I kinda like having the handmade look. The motor/skid I think is a must cuz it not only guards the motor and case, I've noticed it provides a nice sliding surface for crawling over stuff. Without the skid the front motor takes a good beating in really rocky terrain. The back doesn't hit on much due to my links and the axle it slightly clocked up. I also think a lighter weight skid is better. The first ones were about 98g a piece, I think the new front is about 20g maybe less. Thanks for the beer offer, how bout I'll pack the first bowl.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:22 AM   #94
Rock Stacker

Hey man, how are the axles and gears holding up from wear? It looks like you're putting as much run time as build time into it. Did you modify the axles to make them narrower? Or just made the truck shorter to bring the scale down.
beomagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:24 AM   #95

Have to say that I read through your post and I enjoyed it! I picked up a MaxStone 8 to play with and see if I enjoyed the sport. I know the whole deal on how people do not think much of them but I can let me grandson play with it and not stress over him beating on a 500.00 rig!!LOL! I am inspired by your mods! I plan to do several homebuilt deals on my truck as well!! Keep up the great work!!!!!
Twinhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:30 PM   #96
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by beomagi View Post
Hey man, how are the axles and gears holding up from wear? It looks like you're putting as much run time as build time into it. Did you modify the axles to make them narrower? Or just made the truck shorter to bring the scale down.
I have gotten a good bit of run time throughout the build. It has helped me figure out what works and what I still need to change. The axles and gears are holding up great. I had the rear case apart a couple weeks ago and everything looked perfect. Haven't narrowed the axles yet still planning exactly how I wanna do it. Right now they are just less than 12" to the outside of the wheels and I have a 14" wheelbase with the new link setup before it was 13.5". Even if I don't narrow the axle I do plan on adding better c-hubs and lockouts.

Last edited by Crawlin' Lobster; 08-06-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #97
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinhuey View Post
Have to say that I read through your post and I enjoyed it! I picked up a MaxStone 8 to play with and see if I enjoyed the sport. I know the whole deal on how people do not think much of them but I can let me grandson play with it and not stress over him beating on a 500.00 rig!!LOL! I am inspired by your mods! I plan to do several homebuilt deals on my truck as well!! Keep up the great work!!!!!
With the stock replacement parts bein so cheap u don't really have to worry if the kids break anything. I would recommend changing out the stock hardware as the screwheads strip easily. Hope you have fun modding your maxstone.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:18 PM   #98
Quarry Creeper

Gave the new rock sliders a good testing today at a local park that has a big rock section on the beach.

They worked 10 times better than the plastic ones I had. Also hit up the backyard course.

I get more articulation and it is a lot smoother with the new link setup.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Nice work.

Becoming rare to see someone actually BUILD a part as apposed to buy a part.

Who cares if it's not an Axial? It's different, looks cool, and works.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #100
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
Nice work.

Becoming rare to see someone actually BUILD a part as apposed to buy a part.

Who cares if it's not an Axial? It's different, looks cool, and works.
Thanks. I enjoy tryin to make parts myself. With basic hand tools I am kinda limited to what I can make but it's still fun and rewarding to know it's a one of kind part.

Exceed mad torque 1/8 to 1/10 scale budget build! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exceed Mad Torque - Extensive Review and build thread monkeyracer Superclass Crawlers 96 06-25-2016 07:55 AM
Budget Mad Torque Build / Custom body srosamechanic Superclass Crawlers 10 12-17-2015 12:16 PM
Exceed Mad Torque Super Build motoj550 Superclass Crawlers 38 10-22-2013 05:13 PM
Exceed mad torque Build dannymac Superclass Crawlers 17 01-30-2013 07:17 PM
New To RC, Exceed Mad Torque Build woodsracer Superclass Crawlers 17 11-08-2012 11:49 PM