Tzi
Quarry Creeper

Default Tziworld Beefy Highmount - ideas and interest

Name:  Beefy_Gold_Avatar.jpg
Views: 1923
Size:  11.7 KB
Tziworld Beefy Highmount

Hey guys,
Since the Quicksand is out of production, I've been thinking of making a new highmount.
I've pondered over this for a while and wanted to get some feedback from the community to incorporate the needed features and address some problems with other products so this can be the baddest winch ever.

Please let me know your interest, thoughts on these ideas and any suggestions you may have.

Free Spool
This is a must have

How important is it to be perfect 1:10 scale?

Quicksand winch #1 complaint i hear is that its too big, however due to the size of servo gears and motors it is difficult (but not impossible) to make it smaller.
A 1:1 winch motor is 12cm dia, however regular servo motors are 17mm which would be 17cm in 1:1 making it a bit oversize for scalers.

Warn replica, or other brand?

I'm keen to do a winch similar to a Red Winch Hornet, possibly even dual motor.
Clean lines, smooth detail, with minimal fine details which will reduce machining cost
RED Winch Hornet, Ultimate Performance Winch
Name:  1003662_403458719773825_1241533852_n.jpg
Views: 2840
Size:  52.5 KB

Speed vs strength
Timed competitions like G6 need a fast winch. That doesnt mean it would be weak... just doesnt need to pull a mack truck like the current Beefy winch.

Bulletproof, yet user servicable and upgradable.

Like the beefy winch, this would be built to last yet have easily replaceable/upgradable gears and motors.

2s or 3s capable
Which is more common in scale / TTC / G6 builds?

RTR
Winch hook, line and controller included
Although it will increase the price, this product will be ready to run out of the box.

Price point
I expect this winch to sit around the 200-250 mark, but wont know until design is completed

Mounting
Is it worth trying to fit existing bumpers, design a specific bumper to fit, or leave it to custom builders?

Are you interested?
If you have no suggestions or feedback on the above ideas, don't forget to just post up saying you're keen

Thanks for your time

Tzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2014, 06:41 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Tziworld Beefy Highmount - ideas and interest

Most of our rigs are bigger than 1/10 scale so I wouldn't worry too much about keeping it extra small.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:42 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Being perfect 1:10 is nice but if its not possible I wouldnt mind.
Warn Replica (with branding if possible)
Speed
3s
Just the winch with line and hook IMO (to keep down cost plus some of use have controllers sitting around)
Try to have it mount existing bumpers maybe with multiple base options?
I'd be very interested if it looked like a Warn winch.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:04 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Wow, alot of info to precess. Any who, id like a winch that works off 3s power that would spool out pretty quick with some balls. Worst case scenario, thrown on a sntch block to increase torque for those hefty situations.
Imo, most people aren't tp concerned about super scale looks, as long as it does what it's supposed to do. PULL. I have mu winch mounted under my hood. There for no one can see the damn thing.

JMHO. Thanks.

Last edited by stelerzman; 06-21-2014 at 07:19 PM.
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:29 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

3s power mount to about any bumper with the help of an adapter plate if you have to. And try to make as close as possible in looks to a red precision hornet like your showing in the pic. Almost everybody makes a scale style warn. Just my two cents. If your gonna do a warn then it needs to be the old school style not the newer stuff.
fordsuperduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:07 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I'd be in for at least 2... scale not a big concern fast and strong on 3cell ...
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:40 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I would really like a warn. Rtr would be cool but i really dont need it to be.
3 cell
Fast
Mounting like the 1:1 would be cool.
Real looking as much as possible. Would rather just run a fairlead and a servo winch under the hood than have something mounted on a bumper that looks more like a block of aluminum than a winch.

Atleast this detailed, If not more.

Last edited by joeyf; 06-21-2014 at 10:18 PM.
joeyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:41 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I think scale looks is the way to go. The original Beefy winch is already available for non scale applications.
Trump1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I've owned five or six Quicksands now and without fail I've sold them all because someone has offered me an obscene amount of money for them. I don't think you'd go wronge with building a highmount.

Free Spool - I agree
How important is it to be perfect 1:10 scale? - Being based on servo components is more important than the size of the winch. If you don't like the size there are plenty of gearmotor winches to choose from. The quicksand winches are cool because they look good and work very well. There have been other 8274 replicas that have used gear motors that everyone as forgotten about because they didn't work well.
Warn replica, or other brand? - The hornet would be awesome. I agree with the benefits of cheaper machining as well. The free spool mechanism on the QS consisted of four parts on it's own (drive from servo gear, "plunger" that you pushed in to engage and disengage, and the drum that was keyed, plus the internal spring), plus the drivers side spool mount, Two sides of the case, spool break wheel and leaver thingy, and derlin motor cover. That's 9ish machined parts per winch.
Speed vs strength: Speed! If it's got at least 200 oz/in it has plenty of power to snap 250lb line. The winch line is the limiting factor here.
Bulletproof, yet user servicable and upgradable. - Just make sure we can open the case and replace the gears. It would be nice to know what sort of servo is used so even if we torch a motor or gears it can be replaced.
2s or 3s capable - I run everything off 3s because servo motors can handle it. I've ran them on 4s too and never had an issue. Any decent servo could handle 2s too.
RTR - I don't care about line, a winch hook, or a controller. I'd much rather pay for a quality core servo like a hitec or futaba than a controller that I won't use, winch line I'll beak, or a hook I can find elsewhere.
Mounting
Is it worth trying to fit existing bumpers, design a specific bumper to fit, or leave it to custom builders? - The quicksand mount was cool because you could mount it both horizontally and vertically which makes it easy. It might be nice to include a plate that matches up with the 3racing winch plate holes since there are a lot of products based on that already.

Last edited by Highmark; 06-23-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:33 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Free spool
3s
lower price the better..
doesn't need to come with line or hook or control board for me.

scale is a good thing..

The price was the only thing keeping me from a quicksand.
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:24 PM   #11

everything thing highmark said except id prefer pull strength over speed. but i usually use a doubler pulley so whatever. ;)

tough as nails, serviceable with common servo parts. everything the quicksand had going for it.

mounting or adaptor plate for rc4wd and 3racing/integy mounting patterns would be awesome.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:54 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyf View Post
I would really like a warn. Rtr would be cool but i really dont need it to be.
3 cell
Fast
Mounting like the 1:1 would be cool.
Real looking as much as possible. Would rather just run a fairlead and a servo winch under the hood than have something mounted on a bumper that looks more like a block of aluminum than a winch.

Atleast this detailed, If not more.

X 2 PLEASE

Regards, Rick
v84x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:52 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

The specs and price on this servo from Holmes should be money for a kick ass winch----->Holmes Hobbies LLC
sam63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:15 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Free spool, 3S and scale looks of the Hornet would be wicked For me the size isn't a major issue as long as it isn't obscenely over sized. Either the RC4WD or 3Racing patterns is fine. RTR would be a nice option as long as the components are quality. Like others have said, it should be fine to come without, as everyone is going to have their own preferences on line, hooks and controller so that would keep costs down for you and the consumer. Really looking forward to see where you take this, mark me down for one at least
Jayzrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:44 PM   #15
TSK
Shelf queen

3s
freespool
RTR with a strong line and a fatty hook
Maybe make the mounting base plate detachable so it is easy to locate, mark and drill existing bumpers.
Maybe could base it off a Hitec 7954SH which is plenty fast and powerful on 3s?
And I dig the look of the RED winch. something gresh looking since everything else is Warn based.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:11 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark View Post
I've owned five or six Quicksands now and without fail I've sold them all because someone has offered me an obscene amount of money for them. I don't think you'd go wronge with building a highmount.

Free Spool - I agree
How important is it to be perfect 1:10 scale? - Being based on servo components is more important than the size of the winch. If you don't like the size there are plenty of gearmotor winches to choose from. The quicksand winches are cool because they look good and work very well. There have been other 8274 replicas that have used gear motors that everyone as forgotten about because they didn't work well.
Warn replica, or other brand? - The hornet would be awesome. I agree with the benefits of cheaper machining as well. The free spool mechanism on the QS consisted of four parts on it's own (drive from servo gear, "plunger" that you pushed in to engage and disengage, and the drum that was keyed, plus the internal spring), plus the drivers side spool mount, Two sides of the case, spool break wheel and leaver thingy, and derlin motor cover. That's 9ish machined parts per winch.
Speed vs strength: Speed! If it's got at least 200 oz/in it has plenty of power to snap 250lb line. The winch line is the limiting factor here.
Bulletproof, yet user servicable and upgradable. - Just make sure we can open the case and replace the gears. It would be nice to know what sort of servo is used so even if we torch a motor or gears it can be replaced.
2s or 3s capable - I run everything off 3s because servo motors can handle it. I've ran them on 4s too and never had an issue. Any decent servo could handle 2s too.
RTR - I don't care about line, a winch hook, or a controller. I'd much rather pay for a quality core servo like a hitec or futaba than a controller that I won't use, winch line I'll beak, or a hook I can find elsewhere.
Mounting
Is it worth trying to fit existing bumpers, design a specific bumper to fit, or leave it to custom builders? - The quicksand mount was cool because you could mount it both horizontally and vertically which makes it easy. It might be nice to include a plate that matches up with the 3racing winch plate holes since there are a lot of products based on that already.
I approve of this message...
Fingonunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:42 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam63 View Post
The specs and price on this servo from Holmes should be money for a kick ass winch----->Holmes Hobbies LLC
That is a good observation...

I'd prefer to keep the winch options a la carte meaning offer both an RTR and a winch by itself.
If designed for 3S, those running 2S can still use them as opposed to the other way around.

I'd really like a winch to mount on my SCX10 bumper, my beefy winch under the hood just won't cut it with all the other stuff I cram in there.

Last edited by gbean; 07-04-2014 at 06:23 PM.
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

As long as were making a wish list, it would be nice to have a large spool for a minimum of six feet of winch line. If one can fit eight to ten feet of line that would be even better.
Trump1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:02 AM   #19
Tzi
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the feedback guys, keep it coming.

Trump1, it is possible to fit 4m of 250lb winch line on the beefy drum but I too would like it wider (hence the discussion about this new winch)
That said, the ONLY thing I've seen stop the beefy winch in it's tracks is having too much line on the drum bunching up as it spools in.
Tzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:49 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Id be in for atleast 2. 3s capable, super scale would be nice but not a necessity, large capacity drum, and an option for high speed low torque. Ive got two beefy winches already and would like to see an upright scale version done.
fish-hunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tziworld Beefy Highmount - ideas and interest - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tziworld Beefy Winch Tzi Vendors Electronics 278 03-19-2016 06:28 PM
Tziworld Beefy Winch Controller - Now With Video!!! Tzi Vendors Electronics 42 09-07-2014 05:29 PM
New Tziworld Winch Tzi General Crawlers 37 09-25-2013 11:44 AM
New Tziworld Winch Tzi Electronics 35 09-23-2013 10:04 PM
*** GIVEAWAY *** Tziworld Beefy Winch Controller Giveaway... 2 Chances to win!! Tzi General Crawlers 67 07-21-2012 10:26 AM