Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Axial currie axles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2014, 01:19 PM   #21
TSK
Shelf queen

Default Re: Axial currie axles?

I think the problem with a multipiece modular design made in plastic will be durability and slop.

There is no way a plastic ar60/currie center housing could reliably hold twp plastic tubes and all the associated hardware.

Best bet is to hope for Axial to make an SCX wdth ar60 housing and shorter XR style universals.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2014, 05:23 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
more info please
RCCA article from when the Wraith first came out...spring 2011? Ish? See if I can find it
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:30 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
I think the problem with a multipiece modular design made in plastic will be durability and slop.

There is no way a plastic ar60/currie center housing could reliably hold twp plastic tubes and all the associated hardware.

Best bet is to hope for Axial to make an SCX wdth ar60 housing and shorter XR style universals.
I think he was talking about a modular mold for creating a one piece housing... not a modular housing itself. This way they could make AR60's AR44's and AR30's with the same mold by adding or removing parts. At least thats what I think.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:20 PM   #24
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
I think he was talking about a modular mold for creating a one piece housing... not a modular housing itself. This way they could make AR60's AR44's and AR30's with the same mold by adding or removing parts. At least thats what I think.
If that's the case, I definitely don't see that happening anytime soon
Old 07-23-2014, 08:12 PM   #25
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
If that's the case, I definitely don't see that happening anytime soon
Not being cost affect?
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:21 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
RCCA article from when the Wraith first came out...spring 2011? Ish? See if I can find it
Interview with Matt Kearney, June 2011 RCCA. Didnt say much more thsn its a 4 piece sliding mold for the AR60's. Assuming its tricky and expensive.

Good article if you can track it down.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:26 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

If it's from 2011 I'm sure its a dead idea now.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:36 PM   #28
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
Not being cost affect?
Definitely not cost effective.

Besides just the time lost in setup, they'd probably end up having a lot of product just sit. By that I mean, by having too many choices, people end up just questioning more than buying. By giving people less choices it's easier to decide.

It'd be easier for the average hobbyist to answer...

"Hmmm, do I want narrow or wide?"

It'd be much harder to make a god decision if they had to answer...

"Do I want wide, narrow or middle of the road?" "Offset or center diff?" "What shafts will I need?" etc etc etc.

At some point the guy is just gonna be like "F it, I want to play with my truck" and he'll just keep running his stock truck.

With the release of the Yeti, it shows that Axial listens to what people want. The people wanted an IFS.solid axle 2.2 tig and that's what they got.

So instead of giving Axial too many options to consider, why not just have a poll asking for either SCX width ar60's with matching universal shafts or XR width ar60's with matching length rear shafts. The numbers will show which way to go and I'm certain Axial will entertain the idea a bit more seriously.

My vote, would be for an SCX width ar60 with matching universal shafts. The XR width axle makes no sense. But IMO, the strength and steering angle of the XR universal is a must have. Going this route will allow all their current SCX platforms to benefit from a fresher, updated and more scale housing with potential for far more steering and strength than currently available (at a reasonable price point)

Last edited by TSK; 07-25-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:17 PM   #29
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Definitely not cost effective.

Besides just the time lost in setup, they'd probably end up having a lot of product just sit. By that I mean, by having too many choices, people end up just questioning more than buying. By giving people less choices it's easier to decide.

It'd be easier for the average hobbyist to answer...

"Hmmm, do I want narrow or wide?"

It'd be much harder to make a god decision if they had to answer...

"Do I want wide, narrow or middle of the road?" "Offset or center diff?" "What shafts will I need?" etc etc etc.

At some point the guy is just gonna be like "F it, I want to play with my truck" and he'll just keep running his stock truck.

With the release of the Yeti, it shows that Axial listens to what people want. The people wanted an IFS.solid axle 2.2 tig and that's what they got.

So instead of giving Axial too many options to consider, why not just have a poll asking for either SCX width ar60's with matching universal shafts or XR width ar60's with matching length rear shafts. The numbers will show which way to go and I'm certain Axial will entertain the idea a bit more seriously.

My vote, would be for an SCX width ar60 with matching universal shafts. The XR width axle makes no sense. But IMO, the strength and steering angle of the XR universal is a must have. Going this route will allow all their current SCX platforms to benefit from a fresher, updated and more scale housing with potential for far more steering and strength than currently available (at a reasonable price point)
I see where you coming from.

Lets say they had scx10 width and wraith width. That simplify alot of it.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:46 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

My 2 Cents !!!!

I can see your point
This would be awesome in the above mentioned respects

But dont forget that there are different rules for each class
1.9 U4 has a track width of 11" and I wouldn't want to
just use wheel wideners to accomplish that

IMO,
As far as maintenance
the 60 with removable diff cover has already been done by GCM (In a way)

I heard from a little birdie that the CURRIE's will be coming down in price soon
and Vanquish brought some Center Pumkin Proto-Type Currie's to the PA scale show for display
So the XR-SCX length is on its way and will dominate the U4 classes

Me personally............
I take apart my complete SCX10 axles after every event
To inspect and clean them
Just like my trans and shocks..........
It's just part of maintenance of any Off road vehicle

But hell
If you guys can get AXIAL to re-invent the wheel then I say go for it

Best Regards Rick

Last edited by v84x4; 09-25-2014 at 05:56 PM.
v84x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:13 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Vanquish brought some Center Pumkin Proto-Type Currie's to the PA scale show for display

Been waiting
fatroofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:26 PM   #32

I have bitched about this ever since the ar60 came out..why not right then make them in scx width also..the scx10 is the flagship scale kit for axial and they make their most and only scale looking axles for the wraith??? To me this makes no since..the scx is the kit that made them what they are and they have left it unchanged for almost 10 years now it seems..I mean even vaterras scale blazer has better looking housings..I think axial has let us and the scx10 down for long enough lol...I have always been loyal to axial and have waited and waited for at least better housings and am close to giving up and just going another rought.i so hope they do something for the scx besides a new lid for petes sake..please axial listen!!!
Jaketheone46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:21 PM   #33

i would love to see the scx10 width axles. I have been contemplating installing wraith axles in my deadbolt but keep going back and forth whether to actually do it or not. If Axial made this type of axle I would purchase!!
LapuaKrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:51 PM   #34
Moderator Rule Breaker

Or even if axial made the ar60 or currie diff unit like the curries diffs with bolt on tubes in say scx10 and wraith width to simplify, then everyone could mod to their own liking.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:31 PM   #35
RCC Addict

This all sounds great but do you really think axial going to invest any money in this at all , They have done so many remakes with the same platform and didn't invest a dime. They'll ride this setup till its dead. It would be great to see this happen , But don't get your hopes up.
old man 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:09 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

I think they have to with more scale truck kits coming out.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2014, 06:11 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Maybe not this exactly but they need to do something.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2014, 01:12 PM   #38
Gold Star Baby!

If they were to do anything it should be a modular system that would work on all their rigs. It would be more cost effective.
vwmopar is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial currie axles? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Badger's Axial SCX10 Jeep JK w/ VP Currie Rock Axles badger Axial SCX-10 283 01-23-2016 08:04 PM
Axial SCX-10 TR Links with Vanquish Currie Axles? traxx2003 General Crawlers 0 05-17-2014 04:00 AM
VP Currie axles or GCM Metalhead axles for scx10 Swamp Dowg Axial SCX-10 8 03-31-2013 11:03 AM
Axial links with Vanquish Currie Axles raiders32 Axial SCX-10 5 02-20-2013 05:54 PM