Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: New (Ebay) Clod Crawler with Summit Parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2014, 10:27 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default New (Ebay) Clod Crawler with Summit Parts

I have probably spent 40 hours on this so far, and there is a long way to go. I purchased a clod off of eBAY for a really good price. However, I wanted something different, something scale, and durable. Prior to purchasing the rig, I picked up a few MMP ESCs and 4800 KV SC4x motors which I have not yet installed. The first step was to mock up the body and get it installed.

The chassis that came with the rig simply would not work. Additionally, the bumpers from the summit are integrated into the body posts and a andled slightly. The only way to make it work was to fab up some nylon, cut it to length, and then allow for the slight negative alignment of the summit parts. I had to carve channels in the 1/2 inch nylon I used to make it work. Unfortunately, I couldn't get black nylon, but I will likely due it in the future.

Since these pics were taken I have extended the wheelbase and lowered the rig slightly. The rear motor is hitting 180 degrees while the front hits 110. I need to go brushless to make this work, but thought I would share the status of things to date. This is an apocalypse body, silver Tamiya paint, the Summit exo cage, and all optional lights wired and installed. It is also running the 5 inch HPI shocks.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

Here are some pics with the extended wheelbase. I managed to burn out both motors this evening. Brushless time is soon to come!

Front shot of extended wheelbase:

Last edited by MeanTT; 07-31-2014 at 06:55 PM.
MeanTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Location: somewhere near Los Angeles...or a city looking thingy.
Default Re: New (Ebay) Clod Crawler with Summit Parts

It looks good but damn those shocks are long. I'd go with some slightly shorter shocks. But that's me. I like the armored car style you got going with the body.
OTHGbronco82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:11 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTHGbronco82 View Post
It looks good but damn those shocks are long. I'd go with some slightly shorter shocks. But that's me. I like the armored car style you got going with the body.
They are long! I moved the links out since these pics which lowered the center of gravity and put the shock more at a horizontal level instead of a vertical one. It made a huge difference.

I was thinking about going with some Traxxas shocks since they are cheap and there are a ton of spring choices, but I still have some odds and ends to tidy up!
Old 07-31-2014, 07:13 PM   #4
RCC Addict

4" big bores would be a good choice. Plus they're pretty smooth too and you can do the cap mod.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTHGbronco82 View Post
4" big bores would be a good choice. Plus they're pretty smooth too and you can do the cap mod.
I picked up some Integy 163MM piggyback shocks that will be awesome on this rig. I just need to find softer springs. The HPI Savage shocks were too skinny. Once I get everything worked out, more pics will be going up.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:28 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Should be better than the shocks on there already. More pictures!
Old 08-29-2014, 10:58 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Had to wait for new springs to arrive and now have a weekend that will require me to work all day everyday. Can't wait to get them on. The Integy 16 MM look awesome. I have to disassemble a lot of the rig to mount them but for clearance purposes but it will be worth it when done.

New (Ebay) Clod Crawler with Summit Parts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Crawler: Clod vs AX10 (quick please, ebay auction) Spiftacu1ar Newbie General 18 08-27-2009 01:25 PM