Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Does Anyone Really Use Outerwears for Crawlers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2014, 12:41 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Does Anyone Really Use Outerwears for Crawlers?

Outerwear for the longest has pretty much monopolized the market for breathable quality shrouds for all the popular entry level and pro level chassis out there. I always ran 2 Outerwears on my 1/5 Baja SS because I was so tired of cleaning it every week after we do our hard runs most of the time the track still had a bit of mud and water. So no brainer there Outwears on air filter as another protection and outwears over the pull start since it had so many gaps.

I never ran Outerwears on anything else because I waterproof everything that isn't waterproof that I know I am going to go into some deep dirty water. Never burnt up or destroyed anything since I started doing this on my own for about 4 years now.

Went on Outwears site because I am building up a second high end Slash 4x4 PE LCG for the sole purpose of retarded crazy and driving purely for the intention of what an rc was meant for = fun.

So far still collecting parts and I noticed that Outwears now claims "Water resistant" when did that happen?! Does that mean we no longer have to decase our ESC's/servos/rx's and rather just wrap them up in Outwears? Sure would save tons of time!

Electric Motor | 20-2536 ELECTRONIC SPEED CONTROL COVER | 202536

I doubt it would work for the servo though since the output spline is going to be trouble especially with usually a thick aluminum servo horn moving constantly.

But for $50 DAMN I'd rather just do it myself. Outerwears can go terrorize the noobs out there with their monopoly.

Sure hope DustyMotors gives them a good run for their money. Their product looks like an improved and definitely thought out shroud versus the Outerwears as far as chassis goes. The zipper is a great idea.

But yeah just throwing it out there to see people with Outerwears is it really water resistant and to what degree?
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2014, 03:53 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Does Anyone Really Use Outerwears for Crawlers?

Water RESISTANT means just that: It will resist some splashes of water. Good when driving in rain and/or on a damp track or so where the tires get wet.
Water PROOF is required when driving in deeper water, where you submerge most of the chassis.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:37 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The other thing is after you clean Outerwears, they have to be re-treated with Scotchguard to keep water repelling off of them.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:54 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysplits View Post
The other thing is after you clean Outerwears, they have to be re-treated with Scotchguard to keep water repelling off of them.
Very good to know bro. I've only used outer wears on my Baja Ss because dirt and grass would always get lodged up in the pull string because the plastic enclosure had to be vented on all 4 sides.

And outerwears over my prefiter on the Baja because it gets muddy reaaaal quick.

I just don't see the need if them on scale rigs or even go fast rigs.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:07 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I run outerwears on my Banshee's K&N filters. If you splash water on them, they will repel some of it. better than, say, a sock. I would not consider them ANY sort of waterproofing though.
Bansh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:46 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post
I just don't see the need if them on scale rigs or even go fast rigs.
Really spreads out the time between rebuilds. Every time the shock is extended, dirt and dust stick to it and then slowly eats the o-rings. Not too critical an a scaler, but absolutely on a race rig if you race on clay. Rebuilding shocks after a few races sucks.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote

Does Anyone Really Use Outerwears for Crawlers? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boston Crawlers Presents - King of the Crawlers, Hammond Pond, October 13th BC-Brian Massachusetts 39 10-16-2012 04:41 PM
Outerwears Performance Products Greatscott General Crawlers 4 12-31-2010 02:03 PM
outerwears on esc and motor savageman Electronics 2 03-03-2009 09:54 PM
Rock Crawlers of ATL. 10/18/08 Sponsored by Sinastir Crawlers TLTRyan Competitions 24 10-20-2008 07:02 AM