Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Clod Monsters - Finally complete

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2014, 08:35 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Clod Monsters - Finally complete

Yeah, so I am 99% finished with this thing. I need to balance one wheel a little better, clean up the wiring, and a few other odds and ends. That said, this thing is a beast. It's not completely Clod, so I am not sure what to call it and am not sure if it should be in that section. A summary of the handful of updates. Bear in mind I got this off of Ebay for 67 dollars and it was a mess. I am running an FS-iT4 transmitter and receiver which can handle telemetry. If I add 3 teeth to the pinion, I may, just may actually need to set up the motor temps. As an FYI, when I was running 4800 SC4X motors I was getting temps around 125 for the rear motor. I believe the difference is that the Turnigy motors are ventilated. I al also running the stock gears which have not broken.

Power and Electronics

Dual Mamba Max Pros (need to reprogram so I can run sensor wires)
2S powered, typically Thunder Power 40C 4200 MAH (20 minute run time - no idea how)
Dual Turnigy 5600 KV 4 pole (13T pinion - temps less than 100 degrees top speed of 29 MPH)
Adjustable Motor Mounts
Chassis - unknown carbon fiber in Red.
Unknown wheel extenders, look to be 1 inch per side.
Rear Steer lock out.
Savox Servo - unknown but it works very well.
Custom links with Traxxas ball ends (still need to replace the bottom links).

Show

Apocalypse Body with Summit Exo Cage and wheel arches
Summit Body Mounts on custom nylon chassis mounts
Summit light kit
Summit front and rear bumpers
Stock Clod wheels with 4MM bolts
Swamp Dawg clod tires with no foam.
Intetegy piggy back shocks made for HPI Savage with dual springs
The lightest 80MM springs I could buy (still a little too stiff IMHO)

Pretty much custom everything else.

Analysis

This thing is a beast. It has the flex for low speed and with the 5600 KV motors it hauls around 30 MPH. The high speed combined with the slight wheel wobble and play in the lower links means that it will sometimes dart off in a strange direction if I am running it on pavement at full speed. I think the rear is rotating slightly, but its an easy fix. Once I reprogram one of the ESCs, I will be able to run the sensored ports on both motors and both ESCs. The rig weights in without battery at 11.4 pounds which is not bad at all given the heavy wheels and tires together with the heavy body. Wheel base is at 15.5 inches which is just about perfect. I may lengthen the lower links to align the transmissions a little better. That would add .5 or .75 inches to the wheelbase. Since I began this project 3 months ago I have broken exactly 0 parts other than shearing off all of the wheel mounts in 2 packs. Hence the 5 bolt remedy with 4MM bolts and nuts.

Enjoy the pics. As you can see, it still has a lot of flex and the springs are firm enough to keep it from wallowing at high speed. Yes, I can pull a 3 wheel circle, but I really don't feel the need to run sway bars. I am thinking about running an anti-squat set up for the rear, but I kind of like the squat as it makes the rig more scale and I don't want the weight over the front to avoid sudden bump steer events followed by 30 MPH flips and turn overs. As it stands, this baby is my #1 rig.

FYI the ruler is 12.5 inches...

Side

Wiring yet to be cleaned up

Mystery chassis which works very well for my purposes You can see how I ordered stock nylon and cut it to function as a chassis brace as well as a platform for the ESCs. I think I will move the receiver up there as well since it;s not warerproof.

Frontal

Back

Last edited by MeanTT; 10-19-2014 at 08:50 PM.
MeanTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2014, 08:41 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Clod Monsters - Finally complete

Shoes

Sexy Flexy

Yup more than 12 inches...

Old 10-22-2014, 02:31 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

trailduster79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:38 PM   #4

Any video?
josh h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:44 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh h View Post
Any video?
Negative. I could probably get some this weekend if I have some time to take it out. Then I would have to relearn how to post to youtube. God that makes me sound old...

Clod Monsters - Finally complete - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where's the Beef: Titan 60s !!FINALLY COMPLETE!! CarterFab Axial Wraith 82 02-19-2013 07:44 AM
finally got my build complete bigbeave1 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 6 03-04-2010 06:29 PM
Finally Got Me A Clod PONYBOY87LX Newbie General 1 01-28-2008 07:47 AM
My 2.2 TLT complete (Finally!) rcguy6869 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 13 06-01-2006 05:18 PM
my clod......finally done!! sniders1975 Tamiya Clod Buster 22 04-09-2006 12:42 PM