Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Bully axles for a Landrover D90 trail car?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2014, 11:47 AM   #1

Default Bully axles for a Landrover D90 trail car?

Hello

To sum things up quickly... I like the Bully axles (both bully 2 and the 2.2 ones)
Me and my son want to take our future RC cars and go trailing (we both like the D90 body)
I plan to build our cars and not buy a kit of any kind.

Is it a ridiculous idea to use the Bully axles for our cars being that they´re MOA and everything?

Regards
Thump is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2014, 01:24 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Bully axles for a Landrover D90 trail car?

As long as you are not going to try to compete where you'll have to follow guide lines. MOA is much easier to tune and just works better. If you are not concerned with scale appearance go have fun.
josh6575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:21 PM   #3

I personally have no interest in competitions so MOA it is then.
If my son wants to join comps when he gets older then all the better for me since I can build another rig.

THank you for your help
Old 10-22-2014, 10:33 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I'm all for custom builds (I did a custom R1 Ftankenstein that I love), but I'm having a hard time seeing this one. I have a Gelande and am not sure how you would get Bully axles to fit under the D90 body without heavy modification. I'm thinking you'd have to do some combination of ditching the interior, cutting out the fenders, and jacking it up to get enough clearance underneath. There are other ways to make a custom D90 (e.g., put it on an SCX10 chassis with your choice of axles) that I think would work better. Conversely, there are other bodies (e.g., the Tamiya FJ40) that would give you more room to work with MOAs underneath. Just my .02, but I'll be cheering you on if you give it a go. :thumbsup:
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:39 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I second the vote for MoA! Do us a favor and take pictures of your build and keep us informed.
cameron20118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
I'm all for custom builds (I did a custom R1 Ftankenstein that I love), but I'm having a hard time seeing this one. I have a Gelande and am not sure how you would get Bully axles to fit under the D90 body without heavy modification. I'm thinking you'd have to do some combination of ditching the interior, cutting out the fenders, and jacking it up to get enough clearance underneath. There are other ways to make a custom D90 (e.g., put it on an SCX10 chassis with your choice of axles) that I think would work better. Conversely, there are other bodies (e.g., the Tamiya FJ40) that would give you more room to work with MOAs underneath. Just my .02, but I'll be cheering you on if you give it a go. :thumbsup:
Ok, good to know that it is a tight fit for the D90 body and Bully axles.
My first thought would be to get the K2-3S chassis from RC4WD.
K2-3S Old School Truck Chassis

Maybe I should use the K2-3S with the Bullys and build a rolling chassis, and do some measurements as to what body will fit?
Old 10-23-2014, 09:24 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

That would probably be a better route, though you may still have clearance issues between the end of he frame and the tops of the Bully axles. Remember that Bullies are designed to be used with very compact, comp-style chassis that does not extend out to the axles. You're basically trading real estate in the chassis that would be used for motor and tranny for real estate on the axles used for motors and trannies. Trying to mix and match MOA with a chassis designed for motor and tranny on the frame may still create issues. If you've done a lot of building, are comfortable fabbing if need be, and are willing to scrap either the chassis or axles if it doesn't work out the way you want, go for it. If this is your first time trying a scaler or crawler, it may make sense to try something a bit more conventional first. Before getting started started, I would definitely recommend searching the threads to see what kinds of things people have done with Bullies to get an idea of what you might be able to do. Either way, good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Bully axles for a Landrover D90 trail car? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UnlimitedJDB's Landrover D90 on TF2 UnlimitedJDB 1.5 Scale Rigs 21 02-24-2013 01:15 PM
New build info (landrover d90) Bone9 General Crawlers 8 06-07-2012 02:22 PM
LandRover Defender D90 Wild trial Scale Videos! 2 10-18-2011 04:14 PM
Trail Ready Landrover D90 V8 greasypete Axial SCX-10 29 03-18-2010 09:41 AM