Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: scx10 vs gelande?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2014, 05:08 AM   #1

Default scx10 vs gelande?

So, I'm looking into getting my first crawler chassis.

Tossing up between the dodge ram scx10 and the rc4wd gelande.

I'm swaying more towards the gelande, mostly because the chassis design is beautifully scaled, and so damn sexy. That front motor setup just makes me happy.
Would have gone tf2, but was informed they aren't the best for crawling fun. Ie, they are quite limiting due to the leaf spring setup. But was pointed towards the gelande due to it being better than the tf2, and still having dat sex chassis. I'd change the shell up pretty much as soon as I got it

Was tossing up the scx10, as I was told it's the better chassis to start with, as it's a bit more flexible (in a sense) and is much better for getting into it, and having fun with.
If I got an scx10 though, I'd want to swap the wheels to rc4wd stamped wheels though.
Which if the scx10 turns out to be the better option, what would be needed to chuck 1.9 rc4wd stamped wheels onto the scx10?

But yeah, which is the better option? I'd love to go the gelande, but if it's going to be too limiting/ not as fun, I'll go the scx10.
Obviously gelande is a kit, and the scx10 I can get rtr for around the same price, but lacks metal bits. Would upgrade it slowly. And brushed motor and esc aren't overly expensive. Got batts and receiver + radio already

Sucks going from drifting and racing to crawling... It's too different :(

So yeah, thoughts?
Cheers in advance

Last edited by Mr. Drifter; 10-30-2014 at 05:12 AM.
Mr. Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2014, 12:25 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: scx10 vs gelande?

I think it all depends on what you want to do with it and are wanting out of it right now. I have had both a scx10 and a TF2 and this is my opinion.

The scx10 is a great basher and semi scale rig. They are very capable right out of the box and a lot of fun. If you want to go scale with it then you will spend a good chunk of change to do a forward motor setup to be able to put an interior in it. RTR isn't exactly RTR, to keep it from falling apart you still need to go through it and tighten things, if ya get one with the infamous axial "wood screws" then you need to replace them with machine screws..etc. Things like knuckles and Chubs are very prone to breaking. I have heard some newer models have improved ones...not sure if the ram is included in that...but the servos in a lot of the old ones just didn't hold up at all. A plus is a steel chassis that you can weld to if you ever get into big customization.

The Gelande is nice and scale out of the box, has the front mount motor with the R3 single speed transmission and hammer transfer case which are pretty awesome and allow you to run a full interior like it comes with. It comes with the Badass D90 body, if you don't like it they are easy to sell for a good $50-75. And the majority of people on here will agree that a kit is almost always better as you can insure things are together properly and you learn the workings of your rig.

All in all it just depends on what your plans are for it. I say if ya want a sorta scale basher then get the scx10, if you want a true scaler get the Gelande.
R|M|D Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:00 PM   #3

So the gelande isn't a good basher as such?
Cause i want to do some bashing occasionally, as well as comps (eventually), but also keep it scale, because it looks nice, hah

Sent from my salami, with great accuracy.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:02 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I say Gelande all the way. More scale, Lots of metal, Hardbody, etc, and pretty capable out of the box. Even if you have to go with cheaper electronics to start its worth it IMO. I can get a rig running for under $60 worth of electronics
Kylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:08 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Drifter View Post
Cause i want to do some bashing occasionally, as well as comps (eventually), but also keep it scale, because it looks nice, hah

its not a good basher simply because it is a hardbody. Which is what makes it so scale and most people who are into scale comps buy them for. But bashing it around and landing it on its hardbody will easily result in a cracked or broken hardbody. Nothing to say you cant throw a lexan body on it to bash with though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylar View Post
I say Gelande all the way. More scale, Lots of metal, Hardbody, etc, and pretty capable out of the box. Even if you have to go with cheaper electronics to start its worth it IMO. I can get a rig running for under $60 worth of electronics
This
R|M|D Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:14 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:

You dont really bash a scaler per say, thats not what they are for. When i think of bashing i think of a Savage, E-maxx, Revo, etc.

If you want something semi bashable, i would look into a Wraith or Yeti.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:42 PM   #7

By bash i mean crawl around randomly haha. I have a losi 8ight-t for proper skart park bash sessions, haha.
But that's good!
Will probably get a cruiser body (lexcen one. The 80 series?) And chop it up for the wheelbase, and then get a 'lux hardbody or something for more scale look. Or even just keep the d90 body. The tf2 lux is a bit too overused for me to want 100% haha.

Curse me wanting different stuff.

Thanks heaps for the info guys

Old 10-30-2014, 04:02 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
By bash i mean crawl around randomly haha. I have a losi 8ight-t for proper skart park bash sessions, haha.
But that's good!
Will probably get a cruiser body (lexcen one. The 80 series?) And chop it up for the wheelbase, and then get a 'lux hardbody or something for more scale look. Or even just keep the d90 body. The tf2 lux is a bit too overused for me to want 100% haha.

Curse me wanting different stuff.

Thanks heaps for the info guys

Ah ok thats fine...lol Having a lexan body is always good, I have a few just for when the weather gets colder. Cold temps + plastic hardbodies = lots of cracks and breakage :(

I hear ya on the lux being over used, its a shame cause i love the look. Thats why i run a Tamiya Ford f350 on one of my TF2's and a Quad cab Blackfoot body on the other
Old 10-30-2014, 06:53 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

If you do some searching, you'll see quite a few threads where these particular rigs are compared. Here are a few recent ones:

Gelande chassis issues & upgrade options
Gelande II .. vs .. SCX10 (G6) .. vs .. Vaterra Ascender
Who makes the best rock crawler

As a first crawler with your goals of versatility and capability, I'd suggest starting with the SCX10, because there are a lot more options for customizing it to your liking and making it very capable without trying to turn it into something it's not. The Gelande is elegantly designed and engineered, but that doesn't make it ultra capable. If you want true versatility and capability out of a Gelande, you'd definitely have to ditch the hard body (too top heavy and bulky for anything other than trailing), and even after doing that, your options for performance upgrades are more limited than with an SCX10.

As far as which one delivers more fun, that's very subjective. My SCX10 can handle much tougher terrain than my Gelande or my TF2, which gives it one kind of fun factor. But it's less fun than the Gelande on a pure trail run because most trails are too easy for the SCX10. That's why I've ended up with both (and then some..).
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:48 AM   #10

Ah, had a feeling there'd be some threads related to this. Alas, my searching skills are the worst, haha

So, by the sounds of it, if you get a lexcen body for the gelande, it could do quite well on rocks and stuff? Just needs new shocks, body and possibly tyres, depending? And it'd do fairly well?

Whereas the scx10, It'd be more capable, but I'd need to get metal links, steering link, transmission gears, servo horn, and you're set for a while. Maybe change suspension for more flex?

From the sounds of it, it's a tough choice. Would end up roughly the same price after adding the metal links and stuff to the scx10, with chucking a lexcen body on the gelande, but at the same time, the scx10 would be a touch more capable on rocks, but looks less scale (I suppose scale has that downside)

Going to hit up a comp next weekend, and have a crack of a stock scx10, and the geland on some less terrible examples (ie, not a curb that both struggle on) and see how I go.

I can't help but sway towards the gelande for the chassis. Shallow/10, haha. Might also be a touch of 'everyone has an scx10, this is good, and different' added in there, not 100%.
Haven't had this much trouble trying to decide on a chassis for a long time. I forgot how painful it is, hahaha
Old 10-31-2014, 07:36 AM   #11

Gelande is way more scale, but way less capable.

SCX10 is way less scale, but way more capable.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:23 AM   #12
Scale Detail Engineering

I can't speak for rc4wd's new rigs but in the past, the axles were not very strong.
Many people in the past have broken parts nearly everytime out.

For a first rig, scx10 is the way to go.

Check out my 34' Ford build link in my sig. scx10 with leaf springs and forward motor/transfer caee (Dinky divorce kit).
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:48 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

When i was recommending the Gelande, i actually meant the Gelande2. Its a much better platform to start on

I have 2 TF2's and havent run into any issues breaking parts. I think alot of it is how you drive it, and how you build it.
Make sure the gears mesh well, also lube everything, and use locktite on all the metal connections. The only real weakpoint out of the box is the driveshafts suck, axial wildboars are a cheap strong option.
If you try to beat the hell out of it, bounce off rocks, and power through bound wheels, then yeah you might break something. The scx10's pot metal gears aren't very strong either
Old 10-31-2014, 12:51 PM   #14

Oh, yeah, mean the gelande2.

Hmm. Shall check out a few builds too.

My god... i am so indecisive. This is hurting to think how annoying this would seem, baha. But at the same time, definitely good that i'm actually thinking about what i'm doing, and not just impulse buying a chassis again

Old 10-31-2014, 01:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Oh, yeah, mean the gelande2.

Hmm. Shall check out a few builds too.

My god... i am so indecisive. This is hurting to think how annoying this would seem, baha. But at the same time, definitely good that i'm actually thinking about what i'm doing, and not just impulse buying a chassis again

Buy the Axial and be done with it. It's a cheaper truck and I believe no matter which truck you buy, you'll end up wanting the other one too. So start with the cheaper, more durable truck that has more aftermarket support.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:27 PM   #16

The Vaterra Ascender is another great choice. I've seen two in person and they're really nice trucks. The body is just killer - more realistic than any stock Axial body I've ever seen.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Buy the Axial and be done with it. It's a cheaper truck and I believe no matter which truck you buy, you'll end up wanting the other one too. So start with the cheaper, more durable truck that has more aftermarket support.
^he right.

you will be able to flog a scx, you will have to drive a gelande like a real truck.

i wouldnt say dont buy the gelande because its junk, because it isnt. its just not as tough as an scx. gelande is more scale foward, scx is more performance forward, both need work to get a good balance of scale and performance, it just depends on what you want to do.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
No doubt. Will end up with both in the long run haha
But, good point

scx10 vs gelande? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gelande II .. vs .. SCX10 (G6) .. vs .. Vaterra Ascender Rodrigo360 Newbie General 3 10-23-2014 06:39 PM
RC4WD Gelande II, I & SCX10 in Defenders of TrailSeekers ifulg Scale Videos! 0 01-31-2014 07:13 AM
SCX10 owners opinion on the Gelande II fbuonpensiero Axial SCX-10 11 12-18-2013 05:19 PM
SCX10 Or Gelande shaharg25 Newbie General 14 02-03-2013 11:40 AM