Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Vaterra twin hammers kit vs axial wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2014, 12:50 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Vaterra twin hammers kit vs axial wraith

I have both. At Speed the TH is skittish and unpredictable and fragile. The wraith is bigger and more stable even if a bit indirect at times having solid axels at both ends. In slow crawling the wraith is wider and can get hung up but a TH will get left behind the like of an SCX. You will have more consistent fun with the wraith. The TH novelty factor will wear off as quick as you break it.

Last edited by Oz Bruiser; 11-26-2014 at 01:01 PM.
Oz Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2015, 03:22 PM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Default Vaterra twin hammers kit vs axial wraith

personally if you want speed, stability, and with a few minor upgrades; crawling ability id go with a yeti rtr, or if you can afford it, a yeti kit with sensorless brushless for better low speed power with top end as well. Dont get me wrong i love my wraith as well and have made it 2.2 scaler- u4 basher and back but i feel like it takes a lot more to get a wraith to perform at speed. Just my two cents the twin hammers is a smaller more fragile version of the yeti and is much harder to work on from what ive gathered (considered getting one for a few weeks). Just my two cents.

Sent from the clouds

Last edited by Captainkickass; 02-16-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Captainkickass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:11 PM   #23

I built a stock wraith 2 years ago, beat the crap out of it & even run it in 4 comps in trail class last year with no problems. I love our Wraith . I was looking for something to build & ordered a twin hammers Sat. I would suggest The Wraith because It works great, Proven it's durability to me, & has a huge after market. Everybody I talked to that has a twin hammers, love them but it will take awhile for the after market to catch up to the support the Wraith has.
bill mossor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:50 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Anyone questioning the fun of driving a Wraith should watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGjHc23G838

As for its trailing and crawling capabilities, here's a video I recorded myself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mx2jeZA6gQ

I have no comment about the Twin Hammers because I've never owned one. It's smaller than the Wraith, and therefore must have lower clearance, that's all I can say from an objective standpoint.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:57 PM   #25

I have a wraith, yeti, and a twin hammers...the hammers is a great 1.9 u4 rig forsure...havnt crawled with it yet but I'm sure it'd do okay...my yeti is my 2.2 u4 rig and basher aswell...my wraith is full steel tuber now and purely set up for g6 and scale comp events....they all do what I want them to do the choice is just how you set them up and what you plan on doing with them
klubr1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:09 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

I have a yeti, wraith and a TH. The hammers actually breaks less than any of the others, and I beat it senseless, launch it off anything, etc. It did need a 32p spur, hexes, pins and turnbuckles, which really didn't cost a whole lot. Once I put 500k oil in the front diff it crawled much better.
They all need some basic upgrades and all new electronics and tires to really excel.
Turtlejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:41 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by klubr1986 View Post
I have a wraith, yeti, and a twin hammers...the hammers is a great 1.9 u4 rig forsure...havnt crawled with it yet but I'm sure it'd do okay...my yeti is my 2.2 u4 rig and basher aswell...my wraith is full steel tuber now and purely set up for g6 and scale comp events....they all do what I want them to do the choice is just how you set them up and what you plan on doing with them
For pure crawling, wouldn't an AX10 be better than a Wraith? Just asking, I've never owned an AX10 but it looks like it's better-configured for maximum articulation and low center-of-gravity.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:11 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
For pure crawling, wouldn't an AX10 be better than a Wraith? Just asking, I've never owned an AX10 but it looks like it's better-configured for maximum articulation and low center-of-gravity.
It's more of a comp style than its scale based Wraith cousin.
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:13 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
Yes the AX10 is a better choice over the Wraith Spawn if you want a pure crawler.

The Wraith is an in between of basher and crawler. I have been driving my friends Wraith and it is so much fun, it cannot keep up with his LNC(Losi) for pure rock crawling, but its still damn impressive.

If you want a bit of both, grab a Wraith.

Pure crawler get the AX10.
HSPRoboCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:26 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Yep, that's why I went with the Wraith. Just double-checking my logic.

I got the original-style Wraith though. Pre-installed running lights FTW.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:13 PM   #31
Rock Stacker

A buddy of mine has a TH that's pretty dang entertaining. Very cool for ramping up and over stuff. I believe he built it from a kit and it's dang fast. Definitely is not a crawler though.
Boover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:46 AM   #32
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Bruiser View Post
I have both. At Speed the TH is skittish and unpredictable and fragile.
Try locking the front diff and unlocking the rear diff. That should make it less skittish and unpredictable. Fill the rear diff with super-thick silicone if you get too much wheelspin on the rocks.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:59 PM   #33
Pebble Pounder

I've got a Twin Hammers. I've set it up to crawl and it is no match for my SCX10 or my friend's Wraith. I've set it up to go fast and it is no match for my friend's Wraith or Yeti. Don't get me wrong, the TH is a blast to drive in either configuration, but there are better rigs out there.

The Yeti is what a Twin Hammers wants to be when it grows up.
rcntncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:08 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Heh. That's probably the best description I've heard of the Twin Hammers.

Vaterra twin hammers kit vs axial wraith - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Vaterra Twin Hammers KIT Lentsnh2012 Vaterra Twin Hammers 27 04-10-2015 10:34 PM
Electronics for vaterra twin hammers kit? Mikael Vaterra Twin Hammers 9 11-16-2014 08:23 PM
LetsGoMuddin's Vaterra Twin Hammers Kit LetsGoMuddin Vaterra Twin Hammers 12 09-03-2014 03:35 PM
Axial SCX10 Honcho, Wraith, or Vaterra Twin Hammers? theTman Minnesota 16 04-27-2014 09:29 PM