Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Vaterra twin hammers kit vs axial wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2014, 10:50 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Vaterra twin hammers kit vs axial wraith

All I'm asking is your opinion what is better for my terrain. Rocky gravel trails, dirt trails, some crawling, gravel fields and other off roading like this. No saying you can't compare these i just want which one is better in the long run with upgrades. I am choosing this as my first crawler/rock racer.
Mikael is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2014, 09:52 AM   #2
20K Club

Default Re: Vaterra twin hammers kit vs axial wraith

Any crawling at all = Wraith.

They are totally different vehicles and you are trying to compare buying Subaru Forester to a Ford F-150 basically.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:28 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Any fun at all = Twin Hammers
AngelowDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:27 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Haha you guys and can't the twin hammers crawl and is the twin hammers more fun?
Old 11-25-2014, 12:31 PM   #5
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
Haha you guys and can't the twin hammers crawl and is the twin hammers more fun?
I have owned them both, the Twin hammers does not crawl well at all. Head to head with something of similar proportions, such as an SCX, it will get left far behind in the rocks. Also durability is lacking. I've owned it, and won't own another. It's fun over marginally rocky off road terrain.

Take a look at market popularity at all and you will see the Wraith will outsell the Twin Hammers 10 to 1.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:12 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I think I'm gonna go for the wraith cause it is a bit more scale than the twin hammers and bigger. Thanks everyone
Old 11-25-2014, 04:44 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Have you considered the Yeti.
greenjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:51 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I've had my Twin Hammers for almost a year now and have loved it since the first moment I drove it. I took the time to set the shrift servo's end points correctly and still have the stock one running just fine. I put in GCM's front upright shock kit and it made the vehicle handle much better as well as Irie's steering kit and a rear sway bar. The T-Bone front bumper is also a great upgrade to save the front end from impacts.

I did have the stock tranny gears strip out, so I replaced them with metal ones. Other than that nothing has broken and I drive this thing flat out. It's my go-fast rig and I can take it trailing too.

Don't get me wrong, the Wraith looks like a lot of fun, but the TH is so much lower to the ground and can handle high speeds a lot better.

The question it comes down to is how fast you wanna go vs how technical you want to climb. I can get my TH the same places my SCX10 goes, but I have to "gun it and run it" so to speak whereas the SCX10 can take it's time and pick a specific line. The Wraith can go almost anywhere with it's 2.2 tires but is unstable looking at high speeds (granted, I've never driven one).

I also hear about problems with a Wraith's durability, but have no experience to speak on. So take all this as you will, it's all opinion anyway, you'll have a damn good time with either rig!
three2won is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:25 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Yes ihave considered the yeti but not durable enoguh for me people say you needs a lot of parts to make it cool I was looking at the xl but I do not know how durable it is.

I think the twin hammers is my choice now I say gcmracings vid on it and they had some great advice.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:48 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Does anyone have both where they can tell me about how they are?
Old 11-25-2014, 11:13 PM   #11

Harley does and if said it I'm buying it. Have you seen the stuff that guy builds? I love my Wraith but it's always a work in progress. I agree that they are totally different animals than TH. The guys at the U4rc races love their TH's. But they can't compare to the 2.2 class rigs.
big_bumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:37 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Stick with the wraith, i honestly think you will be happier with its performance for what you are doing.

My son and I have a nice little u4 track and the TH is a very fun machine to do some mild bashing at higher speeds with. Its a great little racer and handles well with some mods. Its crawling capabilities are very limited when compared though.

The wraith is an animal. You can set it up it a million ways and it will kick ass everytime. Something bout a solid axle racer is just bad ass when set up well. I love my wrexo and slaith and they race like no other but we also play with some fairly stock wraiths and they are a hoot.

Go wraith and dont look back man
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:52 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Would a wraith be better if you lowered it and is it good on brushless or really tippy. Is there. Mod I can put on it so it does smaller turns on brushless?
Old 11-26-2014, 08:17 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

To was thinking of a wrexo how do they perform?
Old 11-26-2014, 08:59 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Where can I find an exo kit other than ebay . I haven't found one at all other than this site Unlimited RC Hobbies - Traxxas, HPI Racing, Hot Bodies, Ofna, Associated, Mugen, Kyosho, Tamiya, and many more... they have exo kits for 150 is this a legit site
Old 11-26-2014, 09:50 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

The Exo has been discontinued for about a year. I'm not sure anyone would have one unless they bought out another store.

Btw....
My Exo is on ebay and also rcgroups.
drzoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:15 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

I have a different take on the TH and my thoughts are well documents on this board. I run mine with the Castle 3800 KV motor on 3S with a 28t pinion. It will hit about 30 MPH. I have heavily modified mine to make it work as best it can. However, the real issue I have with the rig is not the ability to get over objects, but instead to go straight at high speed. I have very light springs and oil in the suspension, have aftermarket steering, shock mounts, truss brace, sway bars, wheels and tires, just to name a few items. The issue at high speed is the geometry of the rear suspension. When the rear is compressed the axle shifts slightly and the alignment changes. In essence the rear axle will push at a slight angle and will make the rig turn. It could probably be cured with some of the active yaw control options, but my receive is completely full of lights fans and the like.

The TH also has limited front suspension travel which limits its ability to conqueror large jumps. It is also a little top heavy but is far more stable than the Wraith, especially if you remove the spare tire. You can finda few pics of my rig here with various wheels and tire combinations:

Nearly finished TH build with EVERYTHING

The IROC tires on the Bombshell rims are very large, 4.75 inches and nearly as large as some smaller 2.2s. I love the speed and acceleration of the TH as it is far better than the Wraith. Due to the elevated location of the motor, a Wraith will demonstrate pretty significant torque twist that the TH will not.

I run my TH in gravel pits, dirt, grass, open fields, and it performs relatively well. Is it a true crawler? Absolutely not. To get over things you gun it, plain and simple. If you put 500,000 diff oil in the front as I did it will help a lot with a high speed motor. If you run larger tires it will also help to get over things. Think of the TH as a generalist that has a limited range of specialization. The Wraith is a 1 trick pony and you will need to upgrade the motor and ESC immediately if you want to go more than 11 MPH. I should add that I have had NOTHING break on the TH. After 150 battery packs everything still works perfectly, and I bought mine off of someone from EBAY for pocket change. If you go this route, consider the T-bone bumper as it will save your A$$ at the expense of ground clearance.

I do recommend the YETI for you as mentioned above however. Given the Yeti is brushless out of the box and with new metal hexes you are pretty well set, I think it is a compelling value proposition and offers more stability than the TH or Wraith and potentially equal speed to even highly modified THs. One thing about the TH, it is an absolute pain to work on. I have a BEC that I have to add as well a few other things. I have to unscrew 20 screws to get where I need, whereas the Yeti is 2 clips. That is a very real distinction that you should consider...
MeanTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:24 AM   #18
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanTT View Post
I have a different take on the TH and my thoughts are well documents on this board. I run mine with the Castle 3800 KV motor on 3S with a 28t pinion. It will hit about 30 MPH. I have heavily modified mine to make it work as best it can. However, the real issue I have with the rig is not the ability to get over objects, but instead to go straight at high speed. I have very light springs and oil in the suspension, have aftermarket steering, shock mounts, truss brace, sway bars, wheels and tires, just to name a few items. The issue at high speed is the geometry of the rear suspension. When the rear is compressed the axle shifts slightly and the alignment changes. In essence the rear axle will push at a slight angle and will make the rig turn. It could probably be cured with some of the active yaw control options, but my receive is completely full of lights fans and the like.

The TH also has limited front suspension travel which limits its ability to conqueror large jumps. It is also a little top heavy but is far more stable than the Wraith, especially if you remove the spare tire. You can finda few pics of my rig here with various wheels and tire combinations:

Nearly finished TH build with EVERYTHING

The IROC tires on the Bombshell rims are very large, 4.75 inches and nearly as large as some smaller 2.2s. I love the speed and acceleration of the TH as it is far better than the Wraith. Due to the elevated location of the motor, a Wraith will demonstrate pretty significant torque twist that the TH will not.

I run my TH in gravel pits, dirt, grass, open fields, and it performs relatively well. Is it a true crawler? Absolutely not. To get over things you gun it, plain and simple. If you put 500,000 diff oil in the front as I did it will help a lot with a high speed motor. If you run larger tires it will also help to get over things. Think of the TH as a generalist that has a limited range of specialization. The Wraith is a 1 trick pony and you will need to upgrade the motor and ESC immediately if you want to go more than 11 MPH. I should add that I have had NOTHING break on the TH. After 150 battery packs everything still works perfectly, and I bought mine off of someone from EBAY for pocket change. If you go this route, consider the T-bone bumper as it will save your A$$ at the expense of ground clearance.

I do recommend the YETI for you as mentioned above however. Given the Yeti is brushless out of the box and with new metal hexes you are pretty well set, I think it is a compelling value proposition and offers more stability than the TH or Wraith and potentially equal speed to even highly modified THs. One thing about the TH, it is an absolute pain to work on. I have a BEC that I have to add as well a few other things. I have to unscrew 20 screws to get where I need, whereas the Yeti is 2 clips. That is a very real distinction that you should consider...
You are comparing a heavily modified TH to a stock Wraith. Modify a Wraith to the same level and then compare. A modified Wraith will handle a good amount of speed and not suck in the rocks like a TH. The Wraith is much more well rounded than a TH. A TH can go fast on small terrain, thats about it. In the rocks you have to slam it into them and hope it ends up on the other side. A Wraith is capable of handling some speed and is at home in the rocks. Look at U4 and start comparing times.

Having owned both, and worked with both, I would never chose a TH over a Wraith.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:02 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

In factory out of the box I do not think one is better than the other, completely different rigs but one is not better. Both of them are allot of fun for different reasons. The wraith is more crawler trail truck, the Twin hammer is more speed buggy Ultra 4 rig. Both can be modified to be what you would like and to suit what you would like to do with it.

For me its my Twin Hammer it is my go anywhere do anything, just have fun rig.

This could go on for ever its like Ford or C hevy, Coke or Pepsi

Last edited by Sr.Irie; 11-26-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Sr.Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:11 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Never really looked at it that way... How is the yeti compared to a wrexo? Is the yeti xl better than the yeti? Or is the xl not worth it.

Vaterra twin hammers kit vs axial wraith - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Vaterra Twin Hammers KIT Lentsnh2012 Vaterra Twin Hammers 27 04-10-2015 10:34 PM
Electronics for vaterra twin hammers kit? Mikael Vaterra Twin Hammers 9 11-16-2014 08:23 PM
LetsGoMuddin's Vaterra Twin Hammers Kit LetsGoMuddin Vaterra Twin Hammers 12 09-03-2014 03:35 PM
Axial SCX10 Honcho, Wraith, or Vaterra Twin Hammers? theTman Minnesota 16 04-27-2014 09:29 PM