Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: PRODUCT WARNING: CRC QD Electronic Cleaner (DO NOT USE)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2014, 09:23 AM   #1

Default PRODUCT WARNING: CRC QD Electronic Cleaner (DO NOT USE)

I apologize if this is in the wrong place to post, but please learn from my mistake.
So I bought this thinking it would be a great product to clean my RC's. It says on the bottle:
Cleans and protects sensitive electronic equipment
Plastic safe
Helps prevent contact faliure
Leaves no residue

As you can see, only the last statement is true. I used this to clean my Hpi Blitz, and the truck chassis went from jet black to WHITE. It thinned the plastic, and it is very brittle now. Parts are warped on the truck as well. It is not electronic safe either ironocally. It fried my Viper Copperhead R ESC, even after it was evaporated 24 hours after applying. That ESC is even water resistent, so it must have destroyed the water resistence as well. I contacted CRC for a monentary compensation for the loss of my entire truck. Luckly they were willing to help, but this one product murdered my very first hobby grade RC. It is much too fragile to drive now. So I don't want anybody else to go through this, so whatever you do, DO NOT use this product! It WILL destroy your truck!
Just a warning,
Hpi-guy

EDIT: Photobucket is being a idiot, so here are links instead. Honestly pictures do not do the truck justice, but they are there if you want to look:
http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/hp...9cb61.jpg.html
http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/hp...69c4e.jpg.html
http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/hp...a8a0b.jpg.html
http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/hp...tml?sort=3&o=0

Last edited by Hpi-guy; 11-27-2014 at 09:48 AM. Reason: add links
Hpi-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2014, 09:57 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: PRODUCT WARNING: CRC QD Electronic Cleaner (DO NOT USE)

I've been using this stuff for years and never had an issue with it damaging anything, I've never even had discoloring happen? Did you just spray it on and leave it to dry or run it in with something?
sickcivic95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 10:11 AM   #3

Nope, just sprayed it on and left it to dry. When it dried, it thinned the plastic and discolored it. I can live with it discolored, but now it isn't even half as durable as it was before because of the plastic getting thinned.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:43 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I'm with Civic, been using this stuff for a long time, no issues
Postclanker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:14 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Same here, never have I "proofed" my AE2 ESC so whenever it gets wet or w/e I blast it what that and let it dry for a few minutes. Have done this for maybe 1.5 years now and still works fine!
wilbywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 03:37 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I've used it as well.. But only to clean my brushed motors.. Never on anything else..
No issues..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 04:03 PM   #7

After getting on the phone again with CRC they said it might be a bad batch. So for now I suggest you don't use it until it gets sorted out. They might call a recall on it.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:22 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I would approach them and get a hold of a manager or whoever is in charge if distribution to the store you purchased it from. Heck I use Tuff Stuff to clean my 1/5 bajas and they are MUDDY as well as my short course rigs.

That chemical is meant for carpet so it forums up. After foaming it lifts all the I'd and dirt plus oil gone and just use a a air compressor...voila!
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:24 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

If that sort of nonsense happened to my firearms, my Bimmer, or my r/c's I don't stop fighting and writing letter after letter plus emails to corporate HQ emails and physical letters.

Then I call back 3-4 times a week. That's how I got 4 brand new struts and labor covered in my 05 Lexus LS430 with 109,543 miles years back when I traded it in for my bimmer.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:00 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

By the way if you use that cheap aerosol electronic cleaner from Harbor Freight & Tool I think it maybe the same brand as well I remember QD Electronics Cleaner meant for I guess keyboards, terminal plugs if they get dirty, or maybe even a deep cleaning inside a laptop or PC.

Problem is that QD Electronics cleaner will eat right through all types of chrome paint even if you have 2-3 coats and backed it properly.

I totally ruined my lexan chrome hood I used Spazstix Chrome on even with their Soazstix chrome backer. When I went back to get a rag I saw that the lexan hood had become very soft as well....so stay away from electronics cleaner unless it's for escs, water resistant servos, and extremely lightly if you have to on an exposed receiver unless it is waterproof like the new Spektrums.

Now I only use Tuff Stuff it comes in a huuuge yellow aerosol from Walmart, and just spray it everywhere on any r/c and air compressor clean...then a little WD-40 to dry up the excess moisture. I use it on 1/10 on-roads to get rid of the gummy Paragon tire juice they add as well as the track being coated with grape soda and water. It is completely safe for all electronics waterproof or not. Safe for plastics, graphite, lexan bodies, lexan paint, carbon fiber, urethane drive belts, mud, dirt, sand, water mushed with ice, it all comes off after you let it sit 5-8 minutes! Been using it on electric and nitro cars, basher MTs, my Losi 8ight 3.0 nitro, Associated RC8Be Factory Team brushless, short course buggies and rigs, GT8 cars, and both my Baja SS as well as my Baja 5T.

And you can use it in your car as carpet cleaner too!

WD-40 means water displacement #40 I thought I should let those that don't know know. WD-40 is hardly any lubricant at all it was never designed for that purpose. Depending on the RC sometimes I completely strip it all down after the deep clean because it does take away some lubricants from the bearings shielded or not.

Good luck!
Old 12-02-2014, 04:02 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Great, now I'm all paranoid because I used this stuff last night on an ESC and motor before waterproofing.

I've used this stuff in the past without issues, but I wonder how large the "bad batch" really is?
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:21 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I would guess it may have been damaged by the COLD when it was sprayed on, rather than any chemical reaction.

If you spray too much too fast it gets VERY cold.
That with rapid defrosting could do some serious plastic damage.
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote

PRODUCT WARNING: CRC QD Electronic Cleaner (DO NOT USE) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BVRC's CRC XV-01 bvrc Rally 218 06-21-2021 10:31 AM
lcd cleaner? screen cleaner? D-ran83 Electronics 2 08-22-2007 12:12 PM