Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Need help choosing next truck kit to get

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2014, 04:32 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Need help choosing next truck kit to get

I want to build a class 1 rig so I was thinking the gelande d90, d110 or the tf2. I really like the looks of the defender but not sure. Anyone have any experience with either of these trucks? If so, what are pros/cons of each, must have upgrades, etc. Lmk thanks

Kenneth
jeepscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2014, 06:29 PM   #2
20K Club

Default Re: Need help choosing next truck kit to get

There are specific sections for those, go check them and read some of the threads. It'll give you plenty of info.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:45 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
There are specific sections for those, go check them and read some of the threads. It'll give you plenty of info.
I looked and couldn't find one for the gelande is it in the tf2 section?
jeepscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:09 AM   #4

Tf2 looks great but
No articulation what so ever
Drive shaft plastic weak as hell
Other than that I like the tf2
But dont expect the tf2 to go where scx10 go
Heheh no articulation you need to modify it
They do have those mods you need tho
knightcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:12 AM   #5

Heres my tf2

static rig
knightcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:12 PM   #6
I joined the Band!

wa~look good!I also buy a ARTR,3weeks ago
Fuamuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:06 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Default Need help choosing next truck kit to get

Gelande stuff is usually posted in the 1.9 section, and there is some pretty good info there. I would definitely recommend searching those threads. I also recommend watching some youtube videos of D90s and D110s, as they will give you a pretty good visual of how those trucks handle and perform on different terrain. I have both a D90 and a TF2. I like them both a lot, though they're very different. The D110 will probably be my next build.

As far as out of the box mechanical upgrades, I would put new driveshafts (the stock nylon punishers don't seem to hold up well, but the steel punishers are very good) and shocks (I went with Proline Scalers on my D90 and RC4WD Emulsions on my TF2) on the list right away. If you get a TF2, you'll need to be sure to swap the shims on the front axle pinion (sounds trivial, but you'll strip gears if you don't). Apart from those things, the kits are very stout and durable. After that, it's all a question of how far you want to take each platform.

As far as pros and cons of each, I would say that the D90's biggest pros are the incredibly detailed interior and the 4-link suspension. The biggest con is that the gorgeous body and interior make the truck top-heavy, which will ultimately limit performance if you intend to comp. But if comping isn't your primary purpose, it's a blast, particularly as a trail rig.

As for the TF2, the lower center of gravity compared to the D90 gives it more performance potential, though the suspension takes some work to get there. The leaf suspension in stock configuration doesn't offer much flex, so it takes some work to get it to perform. You can get the leafs to perform pretty well with a few basic mods (adding t-boxes and shooters, performing the chino mod, putting in longer shocks front and rear), or you can swap to a 4-link setup. I chose to stick with the leafs and am very happy with where I ended up. It can go most places my SCX10 can go, though it takes more work to get there. The TF2 section has a lot of great info about how to get the most out of the suspension. I created a thread to show my progression:

TF2 = time to push my scale envelope

A couple of other things that are worth noting about the TF2. On the plus side, the kit comes with a 2-speed transmission, which adds another dimension to the driving experience. I really like having it and make use of it very regularly. On the minus side, the transfer case bracket (which looks seriously cool) has a tendency to get hung up on rocks and roots. It's not much of an issue if you're just trailing, but you need to be aware of it if you plan to push the limits or comp it.

Ultimately, it comes down to a question of preference. They're both great kits with lots going for them, and they're both great fun to drive, especially on trail runs. If youre primary goal is to comp and get the best-performing rig between the two, I'd probably recommend the TF2 with a heavily upgraded suspension. If you want something a bit different (TF2s are very popular) and don't mind not winning the comps, a D90 or D110 is a great way to go. Or you can do what a lot of people have done - get both!

Last edited by new2rocks; 12-26-2014 at 12:51 AM.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Need help choosing next truck kit to get - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new Jeep JK-8! (truck kit!) STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 32 07-15-2011 07:47 PM
Choosing a scale truck. Need help!!! skipxor Newbie General 3 11-08-2010 01:19 PM
berg truck kit ? cavie98 Newbie General 5 03-18-2009 09:44 AM
AX-10 kit or Berg 2.2 Truck Kit CowboysYJLT1 Newbie General 11 09-01-2008 07:02 AM