Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: SHOCK TUNING per-load vs stiffer springs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2014, 08:19 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default SHOCK TUNING per-load vs stiffer springs

I am playing around with the suspension on my wraith. Currently I am running 110mm Kings, the stock springs tha came with the wraith are really soft and make it almost uncontrollable at speed and give horrible torque twist. So I ordered the rcw4d spring kit for the kings. my question is...
Will their be a difference in performance between running stiffer springs vs cranking down pre-load adjustment?
johncraddock445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2014, 08:55 PM   #2

Default Re: SHOCK TUNING per-load vs stiffer springs

Yes there will be a performance difference. Adjusting the pre-load doesn't change the spring rate for the springs. Turning the preload down basically adjusts ride height/shock shaft showing. Changing springs will make the suspension stiffer (assuming you go with a higher spring rate). After swapping to stiffer springs you may have to back off the preload adjustment to get the ride height down. A higher spring rate will get rid of some of the torque twist and make the body roll less. A sway bar will also help control the body roll and cornering at speed.
mtublazer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:03 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtublazer2 View Post
Yes there will be a performance difference. Adjusting the pre-load doesn't change the spring rate for the springs. Turning the preload down basically adjusts ride height/shock shaft showing. Changing springs will make the suspension stiffer (assuming you go with a higher spring rate). After swapping to stiffer springs you may have to back off the preload adjustment to get the ride height down. A higher spring rate will get rid of some of the torque twist and make the body roll less. A sway bar will also help control the body roll and cornering at speed.
On the same hand, doesn't adding preload also give you a stiffer ride as well??
johncraddock445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:53 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Unless you have progressive rate springs (which the Kings don't) changing the collar position changes the ride height (& if you change it enough to coil bind limits travel) it does nothing to stiffen anything.

All you've discovered there is the small body scale shocks (Kings/RockKrawlers/Ballistic) from RC4WD look great but have to small a piston to dampen at any kind of speed.
If you want to persist with them you'd be better trying to improve their dampening with a higher rate shock oil than heavier springs.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:40 PM   #5

So if I pre load the springs to make them a little stiffer, does it make the ride height lower or higher
4runner530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:17 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4runner530 View Post
So if I pre load the springs to make them a little stiffer, does it make the ride height lower or higher
neither,preload spacers take out some of the slop out of the springs when the truck is sitting on a table it just stiffens them. it wont make your shocks any taller or shorter.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:28 PM   #7
MODERATOR™

Preload does not change the spring rate, only the ride height.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:30 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Also, King scaler shock pistions are too small to effectively control 1/10 rig at high speeds.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:54 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Also, King scaler shock pistions are too small to effectively control 1/10 rig at high speeds.
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote

SHOCK TUNING per-load vs stiffer springs - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Egressor Shock Pre-Load Collars RcBro Chassis and Suspension 4 11-20-2015 08:37 PM
Help with suspension: stiffer springs needed on custom build cragv 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 07-25-2014 03:30 PM
Need Much Stiffer Springs for Trail Trekker Mod rampa202 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 11 04-28-2012 07:01 PM
Stiffer high lift internal springs? 1BadJeepBruiser General Scale Talk 15 04-11-2007 07:48 PM