Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Want a 2-speed kit, recommendations?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2015, 05:36 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Want a 2-speed kit, recommendations?

So far I'm liking the way the twin hammers truck kit looks but it has some things I don't like (front shock setup, limited body styles).

Are there other options out there for a 2-speed kit that's similar? I'd like something I can put a normal truck body on and look somewhat like a scale rig. I like to go fast more than slow, but I feel the 2-speed would be neat to try out.

1.5/1.9 is about the max tire size I'd like to go with, I prefer smaller scale since I don't have much storage space to keep anything when not in use.

Thanks for ideas!
Blind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Want a 2-speed kit, recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind View Post
So far I'm liking the way the twin hammers truck kit looks but it has some things I don't like (front shock setup, limited body styles).

Are there other options out there for a 2-speed kit that's similar? I'd like something I can put a normal truck body on and look somewhat like a scale rig. I like to go fast more than slow, but I feel the 2-speed would be neat to try out.

1.5/1.9 is about the max tire size I'd like to go with, I prefer smaller scale since I don't have much storage space to keep anything when not in use.

Thanks for ideas!
Get a ascender and put the two speed gears in the tranny. Has the same tranny as the twin hammer but has one speed gears.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:07 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vater...two-speed.html
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:15 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

that seems like a really expensive conversion, quick look about $80 to do it? There's really no other 2-speed trucks available?
Old 01-23-2015, 07:32 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

https://traxxas.com/products/models/.../56076-1summit
Tamiya America Item #58415 | RC Toyota Tundra Highlift - 4x4-3SPD

If you scope the net you can find a TH 2 speed trans for under 100$, then you need a servo, along with a 3 ch radio. You can try to find a summit trans and install it, will likely require modification. Still need a servo and 3ch.
AX2 2 Speed Transmission for Axial Wraith & SCX10/Honcho
Still need a servo and 3 ch.
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:35 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

no crawlers/scalers, except for the Tamiya bruiser/mountaineer that have 3speeds in them. you can get the rc4wd ax2 transmission and put it in an scx10, or convert the summit tranny to fit.

edit: dangit, sdmf posted while I was typing.

Last edited by makya; 01-23-2015 at 07:45 PM.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:02 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I have a Twin Hammers and an Ascender. While the Twin Hammers has the suspension travel and low COG to benefit from the potential speed increase offered by a 2 speed, the Ascender quite simply IMO does not. It's stock setup is very stiff and is really biased towards crawling.

If you look hard enough you'll find pics of people mounting the front half of a truck body over the Twin Hammers cagework. If you can tolerate the look of a "truggy" than this might be a viable option.

There are multiple options for alternative front shock mounts. I'm running the St Erie tower (and steering bellranks, which are the only MUST HAVE upgrade) and am quite happy with it.

Another option, although one definately not ideal for going fast, is a Trail Finder 2. A few of my friends have them and they are a lot of fun to laugh at in high range as they bounce around uncontrollably.

I've never had a 2 speed equipped truck before, but the Twin Hammers always makes me smile when I pull WOT from a stop in 1rst and it spins the tires, than switch into 2nd without letting up and it burns them again. Yeah, I'm hard on equipment, but it takes it time and time again.

It seems crazy to me that it's roughly $85 for the 2 speed conversion, when an entire Twin Hammer's kit is only $250. Considering the 2 speed, metal geared trans, aluminum shocks, sway bars, decent Swampers, it's a pretty good deal.
meatmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:30 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
I have a Twin Hammers and an Ascender. While the Twin Hammers has the suspension travel and low COG to benefit from the potential speed increase offered by a 2 speed, the Ascender quite simply IMO does not. It's stock setup is very stiff and is really biased towards crawling.

If you look hard enough you'll find pics of people mounting the front half of a truck body over the Twin Hammers cagework. If you can tolerate the look of a "truggy" than this might be a viable option.

There are multiple options for alternative front shock mounts. I'm running the St Erie tower (and steering bellranks, which are the only MUST HAVE upgrade) and am quite happy with it.

Another option, although one definately not ideal for going fast, is a Trail Finder 2. A few of my friends have them and they are a lot of fun to laugh at in high range as they bounce around uncontrollably.

I've never had a 2 speed equipped truck before, but the Twin Hammers always makes me smile when I pull WOT from a stop in 1rst and it spins the tires, than switch into 2nd without letting up and it burns them again. Yeah, I'm hard on equipment, but it takes it time and time again.

It seems crazy to me that it's roughly $85 for the 2 speed conversion, when an entire Twin Hammer's kit is only $250. Considering the 2 speed, metal geared trans, aluminum shocks, sway bars, decent Swampers, it's a pretty good deal.
thank you for the input!

I'm pretty set on getting a twin hammer, after you post I started looking through more threads of mods people have done to them and the front shock tower conversions make them look like a pretty capable truck. There's no perfect truck for sure, but that's probably why I own about 15 r/c cars currently...I just have the itch to get a new one

I actually have a 4 channel radio already so that really isn't an issue, I just can't see spending $80-$100 on a 2spd transmission conversion when like you said the whole kit for a twin hammer is $250!
Old 01-24-2015, 12:42 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

It's also worth looking into the RC4WD TF2, which comes standard with a 2-speed. If you do the 4-link conversion, you'll end up with a very capable crawler that can handle a bit of speed. And it comes with that sweet body.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Want a 2-speed kit, recommendations? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4WS Comp crawler kit recommendations? cyborgx Newbie General 4 05-16-2014 02:48 AM
High torque / Low speed recommendations for the following idea ? melon Electronics 0 05-13-2011 01:52 AM
Speed control recommendations Tbone Electronics 24 09-12-2009 04:03 AM