Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Trail riding wraith or twin hammers ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2015, 07:57 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Trail riding wraith or twin hammers ?

And why? I like the idea of the 2 speed in twin hammers. But the wraith has more aftermarket support. What one would stay together better with brushless in it?
robn69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2015, 09:47 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Trail riding wraith or twin hammers ?

They will both need some upgrades to handle brushless power for a long trail. They are both very fun, but different; Wraith will be a little more capable as a crawler, TH is narrower, can fit through smaller places, and is lighter, easier to launch off of stuff. The hammers is tougher than it gets credit for. Once I put a sensored system in the TH, the 2 speed didn't really matter, honestly.
Turtlejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:46 PM   #3

I have both, The Wraith has more aftermarket support but the twin hammers is a great rig, surprised me with its performance & toughness. It is starting to get some aftermarket support & attention. The 2 speed is not needed, locked mine in low, works great on the trail & rocks I like them both the same amount. Go with the one you like the looks of the most. they are both good, tough rigs & you will probably be happy with either one. If you are building a kit, you have to pre-thread the screw holes with a cap head screw, to keep from stripping the button head screws on the twin hammers other than that they are both fun builds.
bill mossor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:28 PM   #4

I have a wraith and love it, works better as a crawler though.
wordword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:46 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I have both, and I'm hard on equipment. I've run both as crawlers, sand pit bashers, and snow-bombers with various electronics depending on season/terrain.

The Wraith is a few years old, was a major money pit for the first dozen packs and couple months to the tune of something like $600 ontop of the kit. I seemed to break a different part every time I took it out for quite a while. It was enough fun to drive that I stuck with it and it's been reliable for the last year or so.

The Twin Hammers is 7 months old now and other than a few front axles and a bent tie rod, it's been solid. I use the 2 speed alot and find that is makes a good all around basher/crawler/trail-runner/scale-jumper/donut spitting machine. For the price of the kit you get alot of "upgrades" compared to an Axial, such as aluminum shocks that don't leak just sitting there, metal balls in the rod ends, all machine thread screws, metal geared 2 speed transmission, swaybars, and beadlocks. My only real complaint is the stock steering slider sucks, but the St. Erie bellcrank is tits.

While the Wraith is certainly better in the gnarly rocks, the Twin Hammers crawls very well considering the smaller tires. The Twin Hammers handles much better, can corner harder before rolling (if you lock the diffs and drive like and idiot it still traction rolls alot, just not as bad as my lowered Wraith), lands jumps smoother, and thus far has held up much better.

So, I guess I'd vote for the Twin Hammers knowing now what I wish I knew then. lol.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:16 PM   #6

I own the Twin Hammers, never owned a Wraith, so I recommend the Twin Hammers.
It's an awesome truck, very powerful..
crawlerchickx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:44 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
I have both, and I'm hard on equipment. I've run both as crawlers, sand pit bashers, and snow-bombers with various electronics depending on season/terrain.

The Wraith is a few years old, was a major money pit for the first dozen packs and couple months to the tune of something like $600 ontop of the kit. I seemed to break a different part every time I took it out for quite a while. It was enough fun to drive that I stuck with it and it's been reliable for the last year or so.
I agree completely. The wraith seems to be the more capable crawler. But it is definitely a money pit. The aftermarket game is on point for the wraith which makes it where no two wraiths are alike. But the Th is a very capable rig. The narrower stance helps alotif your a confident and capable driver. And it also has what it takes to launch it off the edge and keep running. I do think the 2 speed in the th is un-needed and mostly drivers choice. Put a censored brushless system is perfect especially if you have control of your finger.
JDIRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:55 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

with the wraith, you just have to really make smart decisions because there are so many goodies to look at. Keep it simple with either rig, upgrade the simple stuff everyone breaks (wraith:links, steering, batteryforward, etc) and go have some fun. And the more motor power the more crap flys off
Thechewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Trail riding wraith or twin hammers ? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith or Twin Hammers Laker67 General Crawlers 19 03-19-2014 04:12 PM
Wraith VS. Twin Hammers Blkout Newbie General 17 05-17-2013 11:57 AM