Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: New house basement RC crawler shop questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2015, 06:35 AM   #1

Default New house basement RC crawler shop questions.

So i just purchased my first house and want to build a shop in the basement for my RC crawlers. My girlfriend is freaking out about me putting it in the basement, she is worried that the cars electronics will get ruined cause of the basement. Does anyone have there man cave in the basement have problems and if so what are they. Worse case i take one of the upstairs bedrooms but id rather not track dirt through the house.
mtnbker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2015, 06:53 AM   #2

Default Re: New house basement RC crawler shop questions.

I do a lot of stuff in the basement at my house, I have my media server for my house and my Xbox ONE. I think it'll be fine.
besthaticouldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:15 AM   #3
MODERATOR™

What is the basement going to do to the crawler's electronics?
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:22 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Mines in the basement with laptop and TV and Ho trains room is 26'x20'.Hey you need your man cave man and should be your space she can have the rest of the house.
rustneversleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:40 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I have some of my vintage rc in the basement and have not had any issues with them. One things that mite help if the basement Is a damper one is to get a dehumidifier to take the water out of the air. That can help a little bit.
humve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
What is the basement going to do to the crawler's electronics?
I have no idea im not the one worried she is. Mainly cause she doesn't want her crawler messed up i think not mine....lol.
mtnbker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:07 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

one other suggestion that I have is if the truck is water proof you should not have a problems either because their would be know way for it to get to the electronics but yet if their is some moisture you may have to watch for the screws rusting
humve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:24 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustneversleeps View Post
Mines in the basement with laptop and TV and Ho trains room is 26'x20'.Hey you need your man cave man and should be your space she can have the rest of the house.
any pics of the trains?

Basement work shop- Hell, I had a mini mill, mini lathe, torches, big azz work bench, roll around tool chest, beer fridge in my old basement. The space wasn't climate controlled either. No issues with mildew or rust, it would just get freezing down there by mid winter and a sweat box by mid august every year.

Are you buying this house by yourself? If so, set the tone now and take control of YOUR house and do what the hell you want to.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:03 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
any pics of the trains?

Basement work shop- Hell, I had a mini mill, mini lathe, torches, big azz work bench, roll around tool chest, beer fridge in my old basement. The space wasn't climate controlled either. No issues with mildew or rust, it would just get freezing down there by mid winter and a stay hot by mid august every year.

Are you buying this house by yourself? If so, set the tone now and take control of YOUR house and do what the hell you want to.
The trains is like a winter project i just took it apart couple years ago when i move to my new house and now it's a working project,having work on it for a while and thinking of selling it off on Ebay I'd rather work on RC really..I'll try to get pics up..
rustneversleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:28 PM   #10

Not sure what the basement would do to anything. My basement at my old house was where my electric panel/fuse box was located as well as the furnace, water softener, t.v./comm panel and wiring, etc. I think they'd be fine.
olsenjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:39 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbker View Post
So i just purchased my first house and want to build a shop in the basement for my RC crawlers. My girlfriend is freaking out about me putting it in the basement, she is worried that the cars electronics will get ruined cause of the basement. Does anyone have there man cave in the basement have problems and if so what are they. Worse case i take one of the upstairs bedrooms but id rather not track dirt through the house.

seriously
all my rigs get built in the basement, including the electronics
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:53 AM   #12

Is moisture the problem she's worried about? You could run a de-humidifier. I won't assume you waterproof your electronics, but if you do, you wouldn't have any issues.

As for a shop...If she's giving you the green light to build one, start before she changes her mind. Worst case scenario, if she's still concerned, it isn't that much of a pain to just store the cars themselves upstairs in a temperature controlled environment. Well, that is, unless you have like 10 cars like the rest of us addicts do...

Plan for more storage and bench than you think you need. It's amazing how fast the "free space" gets used up.
flexcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:39 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

i do all my building in the basement and mine gets a damp floor when it rains really hard, i run a dehumidifier any time its damp. i do all the electronics, metal work and even airbrush the parts down there. plus i have a target on the back wall for my airsoft gun when its getting stressful. and yes your free space disappears fast as soon as you start working on something.
oldcoopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:35 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Set everything up in the middle of the living room.After a couple of days of that you will be in the basement!!!
RiderZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:00 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

The probability exists that 90% of all RC projects get built in a basement and spend 90% of their time living on a shelf with the lights out thats how we do it.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote

New house basement RC crawler shop questions. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Basement Crawler Course / RC Workshop Reaper591 General Crawlers 8 02-21-2019 11:08 AM
Dropped off the Wraith at CRAWLER-DADs house marty scherer Arizona 9 11-29-2012 12:24 AM
the start of my basement crawler course. scutt Axial SCX-10 6 11-16-2012 07:29 AM
Basement crawler course SCX-10 Dingo Kit Reaper591 Videos! 2 03-03-2012 04:47 PM
Failed robbery at a Gun Shop not far from my house Harley Chit Chat 21 02-21-2011 10:26 AM