Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Holmes Hobbies Torquemaster outdrive / spool review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2015, 10:35 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Holmes Hobbies Torquemaster outdrive / spool review

I picked up the new spool from holmes hobby for a build I am working on for axialfest. Holmes Hobbies LLC

I decided to mate it to robinson racings alum lower trans gear. Hot racing and axial also make gears that will bolt up.

Mounted up she weighs in at only 27 grams

Compared to the robinson racing 1 piece unit

hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2015, 10:43 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I picked one up also what other gears did you buy/run in your transmission?
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:55 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Holmes Hobbies Torquemaster outdrive / spool review

You will notice that he includes 2 shims, be sure to install them when assembling the trans.

Assembly was straight forward, the tolerances are nice and tight where the gear slips over the spool. I needed to take my small round file to the RR gear and remove the anodizing for a nice snug fit.

I decided to only use 3 of the 6 provided holes in the spool to mount it up, mostly because I was to lazy to drill and tap 3 new holes in the gear. In the event I shear the bolts off... there will still be 3 tapped holes at my disposal. You could mount all 6 and increase the shear strength.

After reassembling the trans I decided to hook my cordless drill up to the output and give it a quick spin. Everything spun butter smooth

Next up was installing the driveshafts. MIP units where used, again the tolerances at both the output shaft and thru hole where spot on. Next to no slop and mean nearly zero. Traxxas pins where used in the MIP's.

As you can see from the first pics this unit is 22 grams lighter. There is no doubt you can feel the additional loss of weight in rotating mass when the throttle is stabbed. Surprized me actually, I have neve ran a lightened spool other that the stock plastic units many years ago before I new better

I am running the new puller pro bl 540s "stubby" 3300kv . Holmes Hobbies LLC

Tomorrow there is a local comp, this rig will be beat on severely to test durability and for the entertainment of the local crew... I am sure I will be reporting back with a smile. Either way, I will update my findings or failures.

Last edited by hotwheels000; 06-20-2015 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:57 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapon boy View Post
I picked one up also what other gears did you buy/run in your transmission?
Robinson Racing idler gear, Locked up RC slipper eliminator, duratrax 32 pitch spur and a RR pinion.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:34 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Happy to report there were no failures of the output spool. I did my best to cause a failure...back flips, spins and all kinds of havoc. I refused to use my winch, nothing but full throttle attacks at every opportunity thru the gates.

More than one person commented on the instant throttle and torque the motor provided and the fact that the drive train could withstand it as far as the trans output goes.

I did learn that the puller pro will tear up a old school wheely king mod to the front axle. These axle are from my first axial rig back in 07 Time to beef up the r/p gears and I should be good to go

I am definitely going to start using this spool in all my future builds, hoping scale champs in AZ next year has some spots to leap and bound from gate to gate with this new found instant response. Watch out Sam, I am coming for you.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:28 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

That is very good news! I was getting frustrated with the drive line issues all the time. I now have beef tubes mip shafts, aluminum Trans case with new bearings and hot racing steel gears and super shafty top shaft. I'm hoping that it will hold up now for a run or two.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:47 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like a solid set up to me, go 32 pitch gears for the pinion and spur if you havnt already.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:12 PM   #8
RCC Addict

You sold me. Just ordered one.
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:35 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I will be buying another one if JRH still has any left. Actually I would like to install them in all my Axial rc's.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:04 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Thanks for this write up. Had some issues with the Holmes Extended outdrives fitting inside the wb8 HD and MIP yokes. Been wanting to see the new spools and you definitely answered my questions.
Nvghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:10 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Very nice write up. Being a complete noob and still learning so bear with. If the internal gears are the same for the AX, SCX & wraith, why does HH state that it does not work with the Wraith? Is it the case difference?
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:19 AM   #12
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post
Very nice write up. Being a complete noob and still learning so bear with. If the internal gears are the same for the AX, SCX & wraith, why does HH state that it does not work with the Wraith? Is it the case difference?
The gears are the same, but the Wraith rear output shaft is longer and the transmission case is different (DIG unit compatible) compared to the SCX10 and AX.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:15 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric0424 View Post
The gears are the same, but the Wraith rear output shaft is longer and the transmission case is different (DIG unit compatible) compared to the SCX10 and AX.
So technically it would work but you would have to clearance the skid due to the shorter shaft. If true, for me personally that wouldn't be a problem for a slop free spool.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:24 PM   #14
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post
So technically it would work but you would have to clearance the skid due to the shorter shaft. If true, for me personally that wouldn't be a problem for a slop free spool.
Yes it could work, you would also need the SCX10 transmission case (#AX80009) and another 8x16x5mm bearing (#AXA1225).

You could also use the Robinson Racing one-piece bottom gear/locker (#1555) specifically for the Wraith or the Holmes Hobbies Wrath outdrive/spool.

Last edited by Eric0424; 07-01-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:22 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

This outdrive/spool is intended for the ax/scx transmission. It will not work in the wraith due to the wraith having a longer output shaft on one side.

HH makes an output specifically for the wraith.

Holmes Hobbies LLC

The only way this out put would work in a wraith is if you put an ax/scx trans in the wraith. Even then, as mentioned, you may have driveline and skid plate interference due to the overall shorter length of the ax/scx transmission.

Hope that helps explain things

Last edited by hotwheels000; 07-01-2015 at 05:25 AM.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:05 AM   #16
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Thanks for the review! I except you could have flipped the gear instead of filing it a bit. One side is tighter than the other and fits better with the cinch ring.

Wraith specific lower gear are not compatible. They have a smaller id.

The extended version allows for scx tranny on a wraith skid with identical output positions to the stock wraith tranny. There is also the wraith tranny version. Also designed for scx gears and not the stupid wraith specific lower gear that doesn't leave room for much thread sidewall.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:12 AM   #17
I joined the Band!

Who's lower Wraith gear are you referring to? It appears it's just the Robinson steel Wraith gear (#1552) that has fitment issues with your outdrive/spool. Axial has the same part numbers ("gear set" AX80010 and steel AX30708 ) for both the SCX10 and Wraith lower/idler gear set. Hot Racing has gear sets compatible with both the SCX10 and Wraith. Aside from Robinson Racing, it seems others are manufacturing the same gear sets for both transmissions.

Last edited by Eric0424; 07-01-2015 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:44 PM   #18
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

The RR #1552 and the stock plastic on the wraiths I have taken apart have fitment issues. If Axial is selling the same gears for both scx10 and wraith trannies, there should be no problem with those parts.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:57 PM   #19
I joined the Band!

There may have been a production change with the gears or they may have decided to use one replacement gear set. Both The SCX10 and Wraith kit manuals have the same part number, but Axial manuals are not what I would call reliable.

Good to know the Robinson Racing aluminum SCX10 gear fits.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:21 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Your tolerances are awsome !!!!!

Holmes Hobbies Torquemaster outdrive / spool review - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Holmes Hobbies Torquemaster Hammer! Electronics 4 09-19-2014 05:51 PM
holmes hobbies torquemaster bl HELP bergin Electronics 4 08-01-2010 06:37 PM