Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Rig for my son

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2015, 12:08 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Rig for my son

So my second youngest is super into RC and his birthday is in August. I wanna get him a rig but can't decide between a scx or wraith. I run a wraith now but out of the box the scx will last a little longer ( servo likes 1.9 better then 2.2). So have any of you got a rig for your kid? Did you get them the same or just what?
big daddy smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2015, 12:39 AM   #2

Default Re: Rig for my son

I suggest the scx10 deadbolt. It's well equipped out the box and your not breaking the bank with it. And it is open to endless modifications so he or you can do what ever your imagination desires.
ethan dezwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:30 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

My little one loves my scorpion. she likes teh fact it can go good and slow and she can crawl pretty good with it.. She has her choice of veh the scorpion, 2 summits, emax, and bandit and will grab the scorpion every time.
Zrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:53 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

The Vaterra Ascender is a great option also. Has better steering angle, clearance and articulation than an scx10, but they are both very capable rigs.

If i were to choose between the 2, i would go the former.
Bully2RockRomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:40 AM   #5

Anyone have an opinion on the Gmade Sawback Sports vehicle? Looks capable.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:28 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

if it were me, i would let my kid pick after telling him/her the pros and cons to each one. my son is almost 7. i let him crawl with my old scorpion and he loves it but, when given a chance to pick he goes for one of my bergs every time.
crawlerwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:27 PM   #7

I picked up a SCX10 Deadbolt for my 8 year old son's birthday back in May, and he's loving it so far. I chose the Deadbolt because I already have an SCX10 (with a ton of spares/replacement parts from my rig)...
CreoUCLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:25 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I have a Wraith Spawn kit and a SCX10 Deadbolt. The Wraith is my daughters and the SCX10 is mine.

Durability: Tie. The Wraith will bash into anything with the 2.2s out front where the Deadbolt gets hung up on the bumper. Put a 27T or greater turn motor and you won't hurt the wraith unless you try hard. The SCX10 has less drive-train stress because of the 1.9s. It all evens out in the end.

Turning: Wraith wins. The Wraith Spawn kit comes with CVDs which allow a smaller turning radius. A set of vanquish VVDs will solve this for the Deadbolt.

Scale coolness: SCX10. I like scale and the SCX is way better than the Wraith. That said a SPawn body with the fenders intact would be killer on a SCX10. Wish I didn't have to cut them off on the Wraith but Tires would not allow.

Capability: Tie. Really set up with similar motors there isn't much difference other than the 2.2s roll over things easier. Difficult SCX climbs are difficult Wraith climbs when set-up similarly. That said I am sure if you hopped up a wraith things may be different. I am speaking crawling here with similar motors and escs.

Build: Have not built a SCX10 but I imagine it is better than assembling the Wraith tube chassis.

Value: if money is a factor buy the Deadbolt.

Fact is they are both durable and fun. See what the kid likes and if it is within budget buy it.
scaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:00 PM   #9
RCC Addict

depending on the age, it will be easier for a young kid to carry around the SCX10 platform and the tumbles and rolls do less damage with the lexan to absorb impacts.

Then again, there is the buying parts for 2 different vehicles thing...that didn't stop me. Besides, you'll rarely need parts for an SCX10. My son started when he was 2 yrs old with his SCX10 and rarely broke it on the trails with me.
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:28 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

There isn't a right or wrong answer. It has much more to do with how you include him in the hobby than which particular rig he drives. My little guy (age 6) goes through phases. At first, I had him driving the SCX-10. After a while, he wanted to drive the Wraith and nothing but. He's now back to the SCX-10 but sometimes requests the TF2, CR-01 or Ascender.

He has an equally great time with any of them, and they're all built to withstand the occasionally indelicate driving of a 6 year-old. I make it a point to include him in the builds as much as he wants (which is usually quite a bit), and to give him lots of encouragement when we're out driving. If I were in your shoes, I'd feel out his preference for getting something just like daddy vs having something a little different. If he wants one just like daddy, get him a Wraith. If he wants something a little different (maybe something that looks like a Jeep, which he'll recognize), go for an SCX-10. Either way, the quality time with daddy will stay with him much longer than the choice of rigs. Good luck and enjoy!
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:39 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Only reason I'm going axial is I'm on #6 (lots of trading and selling I only have one now) so I have accumulated lots of stock parts for quick fix or doing a sc-xr mod and already got knuckles and c's. I was looking on line and asked him what one he liked the most and he liked the spawn and deadbolt equal (probably cuz I have a deadbolt body on my spawn) so thanks again guys! This will be even more fun now!
big daddy smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:59 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I'm currently building a rig for my 7 year old. I used almost all parts I had laying around from my other builds. The only things I had to buy is an ESC, a bearing kit, transmission, and axle housings. Two benefits, one, I get to do wheeling with my boy, and two, cleaning up some clutter of spares laying around.
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:06 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan dezwart View Post
I suggest the scx10 deadbolt. It's well equipped out the box and your not breaking the bank with it. And it is open to endless modifications so he or you can do what ever your imagination desires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bully2RockRomper View Post
The Vaterra Ascender is a great option also. Has better steering angle, clearance and articulation than an scx10, but they are both very capable rigs.

If i were to choose between the 2, i would go the former.
X2 on both, I used to prefer Axial SCX Deadbolt, but now I prefer Vaterra Ascender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
There isn't a right or wrong answer. It has much more to do with how you include him in the hobby than which particular rig he drives. My little guy (age 6) goes through phases. At first, I had him driving the SCX-10. After a while, he wanted to drive the Wraith and nothing but. He's now back to the SCX-10 but sometimes requests the TF2, CR-01 or Ascender.

He has an equally great time with any of them, and they're all built to withstand the occasionally indelicate driving of a 6 year-old. I make it a point to include him in the builds as much as he wants (which is usually quite a bit), and to give him lots of encouragement when we're out driving. If I were in your shoes, I'd feel out his preference for getting something just like daddy vs having something a little different. If he wants one just like daddy, get him a Wraith. If he wants something a little different (maybe something that looks like a Jeep, which he'll recognize), go for an SCX-10. Either way, the quality time with daddy will stay with him much longer than the choice of rigs. Good luck and enjoy!
Great answer, get your kids involved and let them actually do some build work and then trail work with their new rig.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Rig for my son - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
a rig for my son ( surprise build ) viper6171 1.9 Scale Rigs 5 03-23-2014 07:57 PM