Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Derlin Link Material?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2015, 03:26 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Derlin Link Material?

I searched but could not find an answer or a link. I am looking to build some custom links out of Derlin and was curious if the below link is what everyone is using. I am going to use a Jeepindoug drill guide. Thanks for any info.

McMaster-Carr
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2015, 04:03 PM   #2
MODERATOR™

Default Re: Derlin Link Material?

Wanna be more specific other than a link to all their plastic choices?
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:32 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

My bad.

I was looking at the:
Wear- and Water-Resistant Delrin® Acetal Resin Considered the workhorse of plastics, Delrin® acetal resin combines moisture resistance and a slippery, wear-resistant surface with an ability to hold tight tolerances. Also known as acetal homopolymer, it's often used for gears, bushings, impellers, and other parts that require its strength and rigidity."

McMaster-Carr

Last edited by cmbscx10; 08-22-2015 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Link Correction
Old 08-22-2015, 04:36 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Just ebay "1/4 delrin rod" or whatever size you are looking for and there are a few stores out there.

easier and cheap setup is listed here in the two links below. AL rod tapped 8/32 and some revo rod ends. use a small pipe cutter to get your exact link length. 8/32 drill/tap is good to have, in case you have to drill further in and retap after cutting a link down. Easily under $40 for 8-piece link setup on a truck.

How To: Make your own links

Szczerba's Montero

Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:47 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Just ebay "1/4 delrin rod" or whatever size you are looking for and there are a few stores out there.

easier and cheap setup is listed here in the two links below. AL rod tapped 8/32 and some revo rod ends. use a small pipe cutter to get your exact link length. 8/32 drill/tap is good to have, in case you have to drill further in and retap after cutting a link down. Easily under $40 for 8-piece link setup on a truck.

How To: Make your own links

Szczerba's Montero

Thanks for the links and info Shane but these will be for my 1/6 scale F350 and 7-1/4" long so i need / want to make them out of something different than Allthread & brake line. Too bad the longest stand off McMaster has is 4".
Old 08-22-2015, 07:46 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Vanquish sells 155mm (~6.0") Ti links. I bet those paired with jato ends could get yah close?
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:54 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Sorry, "derlin" not found. Delrin?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:57 PM   #8
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

I have some black 5/16" and some 3/8" solid Delrin rod, 5' lengths.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:23 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I bought a stick of 1/4" delrin rod to make links with, and it was way to flexable. Even at around 4". I don't see it working to well on a 7" link at all.

Maybe the 5/16 or 3/8 would be better, but I didn't bother to find out.

I have been using 1/4" aluminum rod from home depot drilled/tapped to 3mm, and using rc4wd rod ends with axial width balls. However the rod ends keep snapping on my 10lb. Wraith.
My plan is to drill/tap my links out to 8/32 threads, and make 8/32 althread couplers to use revo rod ends.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:33 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poprivet View Post
I bought a stick of 1/4" delrin rod to make links with, and it was way to flexable. Even at around 4". I don't see it working to well on a 7" link at all.

Maybe the 5/16 or 3/8 would be better, but I didn't bother to find out.

I have been using 1/4" aluminum rod from home depot drilled/tapped to 3mm, and using rc4wd rod ends with axial width balls. However the rod ends keep snapping on my 10lb. Wraith.
My plan is to drill/tap my links out to 8/32 threads, and make 8/32 althread couplers to use revo rod ends.
Thanks for the info. I decided to pass on the Delrin based on your feedback and due to my build being nearly 15lbs. So i decided to give making links from scratch a try. I like most have bought solid links, studs and Revo ends for custom links and the allthread w/brakeline route. With these links being 175mm & 180mm eye 2 eye, i couldn't find a pre-made solid link long enough from RPP, RC4WD etc without dropping serious $$. I have never been able to accurately drill a center hole without it walking to one side or the other so I did a little Google searching on how to drill a "center" hole and though 1 or 2 are maybe .5mm off it is good enough for me. I made the lower links out of 5/16 Steel for a little weight down low and the uppers out of 1/4 Aluminum. Happy with how my first ones turned out.

** I need to cut the studs to length for the Revo ends after loctite cures and give them a little sanding. **

Derlin Link Material? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with link material Hittman General Crawlers 4 12-25-2011 10:55 PM
size derlin link for super berg with hustler se ? pascal Superclass Crawlers 1 05-27-2010 03:08 PM
derlin link material smokediver Tools, and Procedures 3 03-21-2010 05:54 PM
derlin link material rockslyder General Crawlers 8 07-02-2009 02:28 PM