RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   General Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/)
-   -   VP Currie Rock Jock pinion bearing size? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/550497-vp-currie-rock-jock-pinion-bearing-size.html)

YeeP 11-30-2015 10:01 AM

VP Currie Rock Jock pinion bearing size?

As far as I can tell, the pinion bearing size is 11mm. I am just comparing the SSD diamond axle to the rock jock and am slightly disappointed if that is the case. Guess I need to decide if the high pinion will be worth the machine work required to get the rock jock to a 13mm pinion bearing?

HahnsB2 11-30-2015 10:28 AM

Re: VP Currie Rock Jock pinion bearing size?

It's standard size. I don't think there's enough meat for a 13mm outer bearing but the inner pocket has been bored before.

YeeP 11-30-2015 10:39 AM

Ok, good info. Thanks for the response. "thumbsup"

djjiz 11-30-2015 07:47 PM

Glad they're listening to their customers and finally over sizing their bearings

YeeP 12-05-2015 06:35 PM

At least visually (via pics on the internet) it looks like this is the only axle I would consider to be a high pinion. Anyone know of others?

I am assuming that because these gears are bevel cut vs spiral, going to a high pinion does not require finding a reverse cut ring and pinion gearset.

SCREAMER 12-05-2015 06:45 PM

It's not high pinion and it is 5x11x4 bearings. I run a 5x11x5 on the outside to ensure good gear mesh.

YeeP 12-05-2015 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCREAMER (Post 5344973)
It's not high pinion and it is 5x11x4 bearings. I run a 5x11x5 on the outside to ensure good gear mesh.

So it does not run the 13mm inner pinion bearing?

SCREAMER 12-05-2015 06:49 PM

Not on the rock jocks but I understand that the new F9 Curries do.

WHITE-TRASH 12-05-2015 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YeeP (Post 5344969)
At least visually (via pics on the internet) it looks like this is the only axle I would consider to be a high pinion. Anyone know of others?

I am assuming that because these gears are bevel cut vs spiral, going to a high pinion does not require finding a reverse cut ring and pinion gearset.

The stock axial gears are bevel cut. The HD gears are helical cut for more strength due to increased tooth contact.

Screamer is correct that the currie housing is not high pinion.

crawl-o-matic 12-05-2015 08:08 PM

Ya, the only way to get a true high pinion setup is to use a hypoid ring and pinion configuration. I know in 1:1, hypoid gears are super super finicky and also cause massive amounts of heat and torque twist; I don't know if that would translate to RC though. Hypoid gears can be informally thought of as a cross between a helical and worm gears.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/membe...2138-59661.jpg

YeeP 12-05-2015 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crawl-o-matic (Post 5345026)
Ya, the only way to get a true high pinion setup is to use a hypoid ring and pinion configuration. I know in 1:1, hypoid gears are super super finicky and also cause massive amounts of heat and torque twist; I don't know if that would translate to RC though. Hypoid gears can be informally thought of as a cross between a helical and worm gears.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/membe...2138-59661.jpg

Ya, installed quite a few. I was just hoping to find a high pinion equivalent. I guess these driveshaft angles don't cause that much of an issue like they would in 1:1. That's one of the reasons my buggy is a trailer queen now. Excited to get into this stuff now though, thanks for the responses!

Highmark 12-09-2015 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YeeP (Post 5345096)
Ya, installed quite a few. I was just hoping to find a high pinion equivalent. I guess these driveshaft angles don't cause that much of an issue like they would in 1:1. That's one of the reasons my buggy is a trailer queen now. Excited to get into this stuff now though, thanks for the responses!

Yup, most of the time we just rotate the pinion upwards for a similar effect . Most front axles have adjustable c-hubs so you can get castor back in check.

HahnsB2 12-09-2015 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HahnsB2 (Post 5341543)
It's standard size. I don't think there's enough meat for a 13mm outer bearing but the inner pocket has been bored before.

I take that back, it looks like there is enough. I'd like to do it but not sure how I'd hold the damn thing to bore it.