Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Crawled using FPV for first time today.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2015, 04:44 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Crawled using FPV for first time today.

Actually, more like trail driving with some crawler segments. It is very interesting to see the R1 in action from a drivers position. One thing that jumps out is that many of the roots and rocks are taller than the R1's tires but it still goes over them easily.

I stood still with the Fat Shark goggles on and drove until there was too much signal breakup and then walked to the crawler with the goggles on the forehead and repeated. It worked very well.

FPV unit was a Horizon Hobby (Fat Shark) VA 2500, 25 mw, all in one FPV unit. Power for the FPV unit is provided by plugging into any open RX channel. Or it can be powered by two 1S cells in series or by one 2S battery.

The little VA 2500 has to be handled to appreciate how small it is. Weight is 5.6 grams, mounting was on the fore deck, using scotch tape.

That's it, I really enjoyed driving the R1 from "inside".
MikeSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2015, 07:07 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Crawled using FPV for first time today.

That sounds pretty cool. Did you catch yourself leaning and bobbin' your head? I'll have to check out the system, thanks for sharing the info.
dr frankenstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:06 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Yep, trying to keep my head upright when the crawler tilted and leaned.

The front wheels are very visible and I tried to pick out rocks to use as a step when going over big roots and big rocks.

The R1 is amazing, it is very silent and travels over the worst stuff with little trouble. I did not use an ear piece to hear through the FPV unit, don't know if it has a mic.

It was fairly dark under the trees and light that made it through was very bright, this caused the camera some contrast problems, but then it is a CMOS camera, not a CCD.

If you go down a trail with good obstacles and then turn around and come back through them you see yourself up ahead.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:14 PM   #4
www.ottsix.com

I tried it once and got dizzy as hell...never again lol
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:54 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I've been fpv crawling for a couple months using my monitor and camera which is an accessory for the xc5 quadcopter, I like it but don't know about using the FS goggles, might have to try that one day..
VoodooSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:50 AM   #6

I have been using a baby camera with monitor - both camera and monitor have built in batteries, and does a pretty good job, with very low latency. Range sucks, maybe 20 to 30 meter. but for crawling, has been good enough for me.
the setup was CA$30 on sale at thesource they are only 70 degree viewing angle, I was using 2 to 1 monitor which was awesome. but now I have one camera on another toy. so i am restricted to 70 angle :(
Baladeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:18 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Update: first time out the VA 2500 unit was powered by plugging it into the aux slot on the crawlers rx, second time I used two 1S 150 mah cells so there was no electrical contact with the vehicles electrical system. Range, before getting occasional image breakup was better with the second method. Fatshark makes a power supply that plugs into the crawler battery balancing plug. This gizmo filters out electrical impulses that can mess up the image and the output of this gizmo is the power source, that provides clean power, for the VA 2500 FPV unit.

the Filtered balance lead power supply 2s-4s

At distance, when image flicker started, the image would improve if I let off the throttle. So, the crawler motor causes some electrical interference.

Distance is not very far, in the woods, and coming from a ground vehicle. 40 yards is good distance but vegetation absorbs 5.8 ghz more than the lower frequencies, so distance is less if the crawler goes around a corner and more stuff is between the driver and crawler.

When you are seeing from the crawler "driver" view, things you can go over look pretty impossible but the R1 just crawls over them.

Using the goggles sort of immerses you in the crawling. The VA 2500 has a fairly wide angle lens, things are closer than they seem.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:31 PM   #8
RCC Addict

not a big fan of FPV its rare that i watch a vid with it, , takes something away from watching the rig do its thing
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:08 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlhog View Post
not a big fan of FPV its rare that i watch a vid with it, , takes something away from watching the rig do its thing
When I used an on-board camera I also had an external camera and then alternated the views when editing the film. That way most of the time you see the crawler "doing its thing", but also occasionally see it from the "inside".

Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umuM8aLXBC8
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote

Crawled using FPV for first time today. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
killed a battery and some time today with my SCX10 iamsuperbleeder Videos! 0 10-22-2011 08:23 PM
Its been awhile since iv crawled... Dickie691986 General Crawlers 10 10-22-2010 02:40 PM
Ok ran mine today for the first time... rm25x Axial SCX-10 22 03-30-2009 09:44 AM
crawled and broke SkR8pN Videos! 4 01-13-2008 05:35 PM
anyone rc crawled 1:1 moab? Thorsteenster Chit Chat 8 01-09-2007 04:33 PM