Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: How to use bearing oil?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2015, 07:10 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default How to use bearing oil?

I have been a grease user for years but I have some bearings where I would now like to use oil as they have a double metal shield. what is the proper way to OIL bearings?
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2015, 07:22 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: How to use bearing oil?

Before I put in new bearings I like to let them sit in a small cup of CorrosionX for an hour or so. If it's after install just put a drop or two right on the seal and give'em a spin, the oil will work it's way in.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:56 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Your only option with that type of bearing is to put it on the outside and hope some gets into it.
FloridaCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:55 AM   #4
RCC Addict

First step is cleaning, then the best method is dip and drain. Let the bearing soak in the oil for a few min, rotate it while its in the oil bath if you can, then let it drain for about 20 min.

Shielded bearings should be replaced with sealed at your first opportunity with sealed if they are exposed to the outside environment anywhere.

Yeti trans internal bearings are about the only place I would be ok with using shielded bearings.
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 02:28 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

While I'm new to crawlers I've been I. The RC off-road racing and RC helicopters for a long time. I frequently remove the shields/seal on bearings, clean them, grease/oil them as appropriate, reinstall the shields/seals and reinstall the bearings.

I haven't started the build on my Axial G6 jeep yet; waiting on all the upgrades to arrive In general though I go through the manual of the kit I'm building gather all the bearing sizes then go to boca bearing and order high quality bearings to replace the kit bearings.

Not sure I'll do that with Axial u till I see the quality of the bearings first hand. The Axial G6 of course won't be running at the speeds of my race vehicles so my thought is while bearings are very important, they may be somewhat less so in this kit. But I guess I'll know more when open the box and through everything.
Dwill is offline   Reply With Quote

How to use bearing oil? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I don't understand why there are bearing grooves but no bearing Can go? Mysterious Axial XR10 12 01-14-2013 03:21 PM
motor oil as a shock oil? Mr.JayDeeM General Crawlers 10 09-02-2012 10:59 PM
Bearing Oil oxyjansen Tamiya CR-01 6 03-31-2009 09:24 AM
Thoughts on a full bearing oil filled counter rotaional tranny? DUKEMURMUR XTM Crawler 3 04-08-2006 08:56 AM