Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Shocks with no oil?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2016, 06:36 PM   #1

Default Shocks with no oil?

I got Pro line powerstroke shocks for PRO 2SC Pro 2 biggy shocks for my vaterra ascender and I fell like they may be better without oil. For more of an off-road flex usage. I may be wrong though what do yall think?
EZGoing486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2016, 07:30 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Shocks with no oil?

in the ax10 scorpion days this was a popular thing. Put a little in just for some lubrication. I dont know how it would do with a scale crawler though. Maybe just use super thin oil?
onebullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:33 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Oil doesn't affect "flecks".
CrawlinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlinMike View Post
Oil doesn't affect "flecks".
I don't know what you're saying with "flecks". I feel like you don't understand the question.

Alright thank you onebullet. I think I'll fill it up halfway or something.

Last edited by THX_138; 01-01-2016 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Repeat posts seconds apart , merge
Old 01-01-2016, 07:51 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Flex.... Oil weights affect rebound.
Shocks with no oil are just springs.

Half oil is really just as silly. Especially if you've already went the extra mile to buy quality shocks.
There's many thin weights to be explored really and different piston hole combinations to be used. For crawling I use 2 hole pistons and 40-50wt. For something like u4 and mix I use 2 hole and 30-35wt oil.

Last edited by THX_138; 01-01-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:53 PM   #6

Gotcha I'm sorry about that Mike I thought you were trying to be smart about it haha. I see what you're saying though. I just figured that the oil would make them stiffer but I forgot about the spring adjustment.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:03 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Flex.... Oil weights affect rebound.
there are multiple forms of rebound some of which would relate to "flex"

Quote:
Shocks with no oil are just springs. Half oil is really just as silly. Especially if you've already went the extra mile to buy quality shocks.
no, if you ran just springs you would get alot of side to side movement out of the axle. Not using oil does take a component out of having a shock obviously but people have done this before and for awhile it was somewhat of a standard thing. Another option is forced droop via internal springs
Old 01-01-2016, 08:09 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebullet View Post
there are multiple forms of rebound some of which would relate to "flex"
no, if you ran just springs you would get alot of side to side movement out of the axle. Not using oil does take a component out of having a shock obviously but people have done this before and for awhile it was somewhat of a standard thing. Another option is forced droop via internal springs

Well I didn't say with no shafts or suspension links..... I am aware of usage by previous newbs and no oil and have myself ran with internal springs for limiting and droop. I'm not arguing. Hell I ran axle grease in some cheapo plastic Losi mrc shocks once years ago because they were so leaky and sloppy. Oil weight does not affect flex. It will just let it get to full flex faster or slower. Period. Guess it depends on your terrain and handling characteristics you want is what it boils down to.

"Newbs" was a strong word.. I'm sure it was the standard for that time and situation because it worked best for the trucks and terrain.

Last edited by THX_138; 01-01-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:16 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZGoing486 View Post
Alright thank you onebullet. I think I'll fill it up halfway or something.
how much "flex" are you expecting to get? There is such a thing as too much.

for a comp crawler enough to raise a tire almost over tire height is pretty much the max you want. If you are using a scale rig doing that would be in the too much area.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:22 PM   #10

I just don't want it to be stiffer than a brick haha. I just don't want to go over something and have every other tire up in the air. I filled them up and adjusted them now they work pretty good
Old 01-03-2016, 10:06 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebullet View Post
in the ax10 scorpion days this was a popular thing. Put a little in just for some lubrication. I dont know how it would do with a scale crawler though. Maybe just use super thin oil?
In the AX days? So why does Axial still send shocks out like that?They probably save thousands by not filling them up

OP, these guys got you squared away, ill see myself out, I'm late for church.....
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:41 AM   #12
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I don't run oil in my scaler shocks. I like the way the suspension cycles over bumps with out it. Not bouncy at all either.. I just put about 10 drops of 30wt oil in once 'n a while to keep the o-rings happy. Doesn't hurt to try it, if you like how the truck handles, well there ya go.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:23 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I think I just got stupider reading this thread...

Let me start first by saying, there's a reason almost every RC doesn't come with friction shocks now... If these were effective, manufacturers would supply them as OEM to save money.

I all seriousness. Keep oil in your shocks. Play around with oil to get the effect you want. I pay close attention to how the suspension reacts when I'm driving. Sometimes you honestly want to slow down how quick the weight transfers from one wheel to another. You'll be able to see this after driving for a while. Anyone who runs oilless shocks doesn't maintain their rig is or is driving a SCX10 with a 55 turn on 2s with 87/17 gearing.

Also, keep them as full as possible without "pack" the shock should be able to fully compress once assembled with little air inside. If you push the shaft in after putting the cap on and it springs out significantly, remove some oil. The closer you can get these to "ideally" filled the more consistent the damping will be. Air will make it inconsistent as it turns from one big bubble into zillions of microscopic ones. While this is happening the only thing that can be assured is that the rate of damping will decrease.

Last edited by DrewHammer; 01-04-2016 at 06:26 PM.
DrewHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:25 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Stupider how. This thread evolved and informed nicely.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:55 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

stupider isn't a word
FloridaCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:08 AM   #16
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewHammer View Post
I think I just got stupider reading this thread...

Let me start first by saying, there's a reason almost every RC doesn't come with friction shocks now... If these were effective, manufacturers would supply them as OEM to save money.

I all seriousness. Keep oil in your shocks. Play around with oil to get the effect you want. I pay close attention to how the suspension reacts when I'm driving. Sometimes you honestly want to slow down how quick the weight transfers from one wheel to another. You'll be able to see this after driving for a while. Anyone who runs oilless shocks doesn't maintain their rig is or is driving a SCX10 with a 55 turn on 2s with 87/17 gearing.
I've been playing with scx10s almost every day and definitely every week since they first came out, and AX10s before that. I think I know what I like by now. You're way the hell off so stop painting with such a broad brush. I've won a couple 1.9 comps without oil in my shocks so I also think I know how to drive. My trucks are maintained meticulously and my Deadbolt runs a 3300kv Holmes motor on 3s so I got wheel speed. Accept the fact that the unconventional can work for some. I just suggested trying it. Nothing wrong with experimenting. That's how you learn what you like and what works.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:45 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaCrawler View Post
stupider isn't a word
it is, it's the comparative form of stupid. stupider, stupidest, stupidly, stupidity and stupidness are all words in the English language. a few just don't sound right for some reason. dumber, dumbest, more stupid, these sound correct but stupider is also correct
Soldat Vaillant is offline   Reply With Quote

Shocks with no oil? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No oil in shocks JCO245 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 6 02-24-2010 03:08 PM
shocks and oil siriussr Axial AX-10 Scorpion 5 07-18-2008 03:37 PM
need help with oil shocks Gekopro60/40 Newbie General 7 03-02-2007 09:47 AM
No oil in shocks? chevellian General Crawlers 17 12-29-2006 05:54 PM