Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Air Bubbles/stiff shocks in Gmade shocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2016, 02:52 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Question Air Bubbles/stiff shocks in Gmade shocks

I have the 85mm diaphragm shocks. I started with the 2 hole pistols but going to rebuild now with the 4 holes. When I went to take off the cap and diaphragm I noticed quite a few bubbles. I was reading another thread that possibly over tightening the cap can affect the stiffness. The shocks had 27.5w shock oil. I could still compress the shocks by hand completely just not as soft as I was hoping. Will post follow up after I re valve email to the 4 hole. Thanks in advance for replies.
VTHDAN4467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2016, 02:58 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Air Bubbles/stiff shocks in Gmade shocks

Too much oil in the shock will also make them harder to compress, but sounds like you should be all set with the 4 hole pistons.
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:21 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMM View Post
Too much oil in the shock will also make them harder to compress, but sounds like you should be all set with the 4 hole pistons.

After switching to a 4 hole it is much smoother. Only problem I can't figure out is when I go to uncapped them and look at the oil it is really murky b/c of bubbles. Any clue as to why this is happening? I check to make sure before capping that all bubbles are out but for some reason they form after I cap it and compress the shock.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:46 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Are you cycling the piston like a half an inch after your pour in you fluid? Like stated you likely have too much fluid in there. Remember, by filling too much then compressing you are now trying to displace the volume of however much shaft you push in with nowhere for fluid to go. You may know and have built them like this but ill throw it out there. Start by filling you shocks about a half way. Cycle piston from all the way down up about a half a couple dozen times slowly (this works the bubbles out from under the piston and I actually rotate it as I cycle). Fill a little more, then push the shaft AT LEAST halfway through its cycle 2/3 to 3/4 is better in most cases, and top off all your shocks and cap em up hopefully that helps.

This is just kind of a general good place to start

Last edited by Joshs4x4toyz; 01-18-2016 at 10:39 AM.
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 01:43 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Which way did you put the diaphragm in? Was the bubble up or down?
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:34 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshs4x4toyz View Post
Are you cycling the piston like a half an inch after your pour in you fluid? Like stated you likely have too much fluid in there. Remember, by filling too much then compressing you are now trying to displace the volume of however much shaft you push in with nowhere for fluid to go. You may know and have built them like this but ill throw it out there. Start by filling you shocks about a half way. Cycle piston from all the way down up about a half a couple dozen times slowly (this works the bubbles out from under the piston and I actually rotate it as I cycle). Fill a little more, then push the shaft AT LEAST halfway through its cycle 2/3 to 3/4 is better in most cases, and top off all your shocks and cap em up hopefully that helps.

This is just kind of a general good place to start
Thanks for the tips. Shocks are flowing smoothly now and never been happier with how shes performing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookyseven View Post
Which way did you put the diaphragm in? Was the bubble up or down?
Down. Followed instructions as I have never worked with G-Made. Everything is running like a charm now.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:41 PM   #7
~THE SCALE SHOP~

I love my gmade aeration shocks(same as diaframe shock, but with the bleed screw in cap). honestly the smoothest and leak free shock ive ever owned.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote

Air Bubbles/stiff shocks in Gmade shocks - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gmade 103mm shocks very stiff. Help needed!!! axial 4x4 crawler Axial SCX-10 10 05-25-2014 12:45 PM
How to eliminate/prevent air bubbles Shinjari Paint and Body 25 04-03-2013 01:48 PM
Gmade TS01 air shocks Superbeast Axial SCX-10 2 08-31-2012 03:10 PM