Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Axial SCX10 Pro Scaler 4WD Kit on the bench!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2023, 01:11 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Axial SCX10 Pro Scaler 4WD Kit on the bench!

The kit just arrived at my LHS. I had my name on one, and it's here.

I'll get to work building it by the weekend.

Who's ready for this release? I know you can build better, but it's nice to see Axial provide all the parts in one box.

casco_bay_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2023, 01:57 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Axial SCX10 Pro Scaler 4WD Kit on the bench!

I finished mine and put a build thread up in the SCX10.3 forum, there are a few things you might wanna read there that I picked up from others or found myself to prevent making a mistake.

The biggest is when you build the axles, be sure that you pay very close attention to the lengths, the longer front tube is very similar in size to the two rears, but it is different and they aren't marked, so be sure to find the shortest one and set it aside. I would pick up a few extra eclips if you can, some are reporting one of the clips for the transmission are missing and I found the small ones for the shocks to be too soft and small, making them fly across the room real easily. There are others, but I don't wanna type it all out again, some of it I also picked up on watching Harley build his on the livestream.

Despite a few minor things, the kit went together really well for me, probably one of the fastest builds I've done if you can look past the manual. I didn't expect it until late this week, so I am still waiting on a few items to finish the electrical stuff before I can finish it, should show up tomorrow.

Harley also posted a 3d printable bed and cage for it if that is something you are interested in.
Shinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 08:19 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
I finished mine and put a build thread up in the SCX10.3 forum, there are a few things you might wanna read there that I picked up from others or found myself to prevent making a mistake.

The biggest is when you build the axles, be sure that you pay very close attention to the lengths, the longer front tube is very similar in size to the two rears, but it is different and they aren't marked, so be sure to find the shortest one and set it aside. I would pick up a few extra eclips if you can, some are reporting one of the clips for the transmission are missing and I found the small ones for the shocks to be too soft and small, making them fly across the room real easily. There are others, but I don't wanna type it all out again, some of it I also picked up on watching Harley build his on the livestream.

Despite a few minor things, the kit went together really well for me, probably one of the fastest builds I've done if you can look past the manual. I didn't expect it until late this week, so I am still waiting on a few items to finish the electrical stuff before I can finish it, should show up tomorrow.

Harley also posted a 3d printable bed and cage for it if that is something you are interested in.

Great tips!

I’ve built a dozen flat-rail belly draggers, so I’m interested in Axial’s approach. The rails they provide in this kit are stout to begin with.

I’ll post my impressions in a build thread, too.
Old 02-20-2023, 08:54 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I’m keeping an eye on these threads for sure. I’m pretty curious to see how popular these end up being.

I think it’s great axial released another kit. I’ve assembled a few flat rails myself, but lose interest fast. This might be the way for me to actually run a flat rail and compare it to some of my other rigs.

What are you planning as far as wheels, tires, electronics, etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 07:36 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I'm curious what bodies people are going to use also, I have a Cliffhanger coming in to start with but would like to do something different in the long run. I was thinking about a Sumo, but we'll see.

Electronics on mine will be SHV800, Tug Buddy, and Crawlmaster Mini. I have a Riot SS 2100kv mounted currently but I may move the ESC/motors around depending on how it feels. I have Ottsix Capone wheels and Hyrax tires going on mine.
Old 02-21-2023, 07:52 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
I’m keeping an eye on these threads for sure. I’m pretty curious to see how popular these end up being.

I think it’s great axial released another kit. I’ve assembled a few flat rails myself, but lose interest fast. This might be the way for me to actually run a flat rail and compare it to some of my other rigs.

What are you planning as far as wheels, tires, electronics, etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I imagine it will be a mid-weight LCG out of the box, so weight isn’t too much of a concern for this build. That said, I won’t chase every gram to make it as light as possible. So, I’ll run some nice Vanquish wheels I have around with some Pro-Line G8 tires. I haven’t picked out the tread yet.

I’ll run a brushless sensored setup from Hobbywing. I’ll use a Reef’s servo I have left over from a previous build.

I haven’t picked out a body yet either, but I have a Pro-Line Raptor body fully painted I want to trim to try first. I have it loosely set atop a LCG build I have, and it looks wicked with no trimming so far. I’ll trim it to suit. I’ve done Cliffhangers and Power Wagons, so it’s time for something different.
Old 02-21-2023, 09:06 AM   #7
Go Buckeyes!

Following along to see more! Glad to see another build thread for the PRO.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 10:06 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Following along to see more! Glad to see another build thread for the PRO.

It's killing me that I can't build it right now. We're in the mountains until next week.

But, I'll document as best I can and use the tips mentioned.
Old 02-21-2023, 07:10 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by casco_bay_rc View Post
I imagine it will be a mid-weight LCG out of the box, so weight isn’t too much of a concern for this build. That said, I won’t chase every gram to make it as light as possible. So, I’ll run some nice Vanquish wheels I have around with some Pro-Line G8 tires. I haven’t picked out the tread yet.
I haven't weighed mine yet, I will soon. It does seem like there is a lot of excess material in places that might contribute to weight, but it's also mostly plastic. That transmission is def gonna be on the heavier side though. I fully expect in the next few months someone is gonna come out with a skid that lets you mount a 3 gear transmission in.

I've ordered the carbon rails, when they come in I'll compare the weights and see what that difference is also.

The panhard mount on the axle needs to be burlier too IMO, the fore face of it is way too thin. Something else I'd like to see the aftermarket tackle, because I feel like that's gonna be a weak point.
Old 03-20-2023, 08:45 PM   #10

Do you have any updates to this? I am very curious to hear people thoughts on the pro
godwnlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 09:58 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwnlo View Post
Do you have any updates to this? I am very curious to hear people thoughts on the pro
I don't have a lot of time with other comp rigs, just a few here and there, so take that FWIW. People with more time on others may see it differently.

The kit goes together well, some folks are reporting a missing e-clip and a few other minor issues, but that just comes with the territory. The instructions are mediocre at best and are basically exploded diagrams in sections, it's missing 1:1 drawings for some things like gears, so you have to be really careful during assembly to count teeth and put it together right. Same with the links. Some screw lengths are wrong, also. The kit all fits together really nicely (a rarity for Axial kits), despite all of this, and I feel the fit/finish is really good.

The shocks have been smooth and leak free for me, provided you tighten everything (duh). The transmission is really smooth, although I feel the selectable UD is kindof useless given that you can't use it in C2 anymore with a servo, so it's excess weight and complexity but w/e. The axles are really nice also, hefty weight wise, slide over things really well too. Accessing the transmission is a pain, but you should rarely, if ever, have to do that. You can swap motors out without disassembly, but it can be tedious.

Driving it, you have to drive it to its strengths, which is not clearance. The CG is really low on it, but that comes with the cost of clearance on the front of the skid. It all slips and slides really well, but you will have to take lines different from portal trucks. The reward is a much more stable truck that flips less easily, gives plenty of warning prior to flipping, and handles blips of the throttle really well. There is minimal torque twist and the weight bias is really nice, if anything the rear of the truck needs a bit more weight on it. It sidehills really well and will crawl up awkward climbs really well, if you do hang up then it seems to blip over stuff really well, but you will do better to find better lines.

Mine weighs in at about 6-6.2lbs with 3s 850mah batteries and heavy Ottsix wheels, with brass knuckles up front. I plan on dropping the carbon rails and knuckle brass f/r from Axial when it is available. It seems to do better with a bit of weight on it IMO, although some seem to fall into the "added weight is bad" category, testing it both ways seems to work better for me with brass in spots.

I'd suggest looking for Supershafty Fall Crawl 2022 and Scale Nationals 2022 coverage, you'll see Wyatt driving it (white bodied truck) and the way he drives it compared to higher CG trucks, it will give you an idea of how it needs to be driven in comparison. Compared to my lighter, higher CG portal rig, I feel it offers more stability.

I'm stoked on mine, I dunno about OP, but I recommend it if you are looking for a comp truck. I wouldn't run it as a trail truck though. I haven't driven many comp rigs also, so take that FWIW.

Last edited by Shinook; 03-20-2023 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-10-2023, 08:10 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I'm building mine this week. I've been sidelined with a torn bicep tendon. Four weeks past surgery, I've regained more movement to start it now.
Old 04-10-2023, 11:17 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwnlo View Post
I've got a couple runs on mine. First time I ran it was at a comp and I got third out of ~12. That was also only my second time crawling at all in about 18 months so I made a dumb mistake.

Instructions were lacking a bit. The transmission and chassis assembly pics had a lot going on so tracking what screw/pin/gear went where took a bit of effort.

I'm running servo on axle and just locked it in UD so no shift servo. I like it a lot. Overall its well balanced and stable. Most of the folks I'm competing against are running portals so I have to pick some different lines but that is a compromise I am willing to make for the lower center of gravity. I put 50wt oil in my shocks because the stock 35wt was too thin for my liking. My shocks do leak a little but I was out of green slime when I built them. Going to try a rebuild before I write them off. They are very smooth.

Just because I cant leave well enough alone, I have SSD brass knuckles coming today, along with a SSD brass diff cover for the rear. A new body too. As a Jeep/Mopar guy, that Cliffhanger body just doesnt quite sit right with me.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 01:11 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I am gonna drop the Brazin Pacesetter in mine and see how it does, apparently it lowers the motor ~4mm and has a 10 degree skid. I'm kinda curious why Axial went with such a conservative skid angle.

I also picked up a new body, Proline Tacoma. I just gotta make sure I'm cutting it to be Class 2 legal then going to town. I do wish the stock sliders were a bit higher to trap the body better, the length is great for meeting scale points for sliders, but they don't really do much to capture the bottom of the body, I gotta sort that out next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
My shocks do leak a little but I was out of green slime when I built them.
Make sure you have the cap tight, I noticed mine had some oil residue and it was leaking from the top cap, which had come loose. They haven't leaked since.

Axial SCX10 Pro Scaler 4WD Kit on the bench! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial SCX10 II UMG10 4WD rock crawler kit celt Axial SCX10 II 72 05-19-2019 08:50 AM
NEW Axial SCX10 II UMG10 4WD Kit SHIPPING NOW!! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 5 04-25-2019 01:27 PM
Pre-order now! NEW Axial SCX10 II UMG10 4WD Kit! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 04-11-2019 09:24 AM
Advice on Axial SCX10 4WD Kit w/Dingo Body xwingman Newbie General 10 03-26-2013 07:32 PM