Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: King Shocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2016, 08:54 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Question King Shocks

I am having some trouble with getting the air bubbles out. When I think I have finally got them all out I cap it and cycle them a bit at a slow and then faster pace. I have read multiple threads on here about bleeding out the air. Has anyone else had problems with king. Just trying to figure out if it's the shocks or just me. It's getting to become a thorn in my side as I have four shocks to do but can't get these Damon bubbles out

My process is as follows, fill 1/4-1/2 way with oil. Move piston up and down until air bubbles are out. Fill to required amount and double check for bubbles. Cap and cycle.
Thanks for any tips in advance.
VTHDAN4467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2016, 01:23 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: King Shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHDAN4467 View Post
I am having some trouble with getting the air bubbles out. When I think I have finally got them all out I cap it and cycle them a bit at a slow and then faster pace. I have read multiple threads on here about bleeding out the air. Has anyone else had problems with king. Just trying to figure out if it's the shocks or just me. It's getting to become a thorn in my side as I have four shocks to do but can't get these Damon bubbles out

My process is as follows, fill 1/4-1/2 way with oil. Move piston up and down until air bubbles are out. Fill to required amount and double check for bubbles. Cap and cycle.
Thanks for any tips in advance.
Bubbles should come out easily if you move the piston up and down SLOWLY so as to not create more (and smaller) bubbles. These are aeration type shocks (non-bladder) therefore a little air in them is not terrible. Get the bubbles out, top with oil, move piston to top of stroke (fully compressed), wipe off excess oil, screw the caps on snugly but not overly tight...done.

King Off-Road Scale Dual Spring Shocks (90mm)
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:43 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Bubbles should come out easily if you move the piston up and down SLOWLY so as to not create more (and smaller) bubbles. These are aeration type shocks (non-bladder) therefore a little air in them is not terrible. Get the bubbles out, top with oil, move piston to top of stroke (fully compressed), wipe off excess oil, screw the caps on snugly but not overly tight...done.

King Off-Road Scale Dual Spring Shocks (90mm)
Thanks for the tip! Going to try and get all four done tonight for a sesh this weekend!
Old 03-03-2016, 08:31 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

As Natedog says, there will invariably be a little bit of air in the shocks because they are bladderless, but that won't affect performance. Just get the big bubbles out, fill almost to the top with the shaft fully compressed, and put the cap on. Once the cap is screwed all the way on, test the shock to make sure it compresses fully without springs. If not, take out a drop or two of oil and try it again.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:31 PM   #5

Tuning shocks is a pain in the ass. I am a rookie and just started with this hobbie and i spent a good 3-4 hrs just trying to fine tune my ebay shocks. One or the other kept on not compressing to the same height but after trying and trying i finally got it work. you just have to go slow and not be so OCD about the air bubbles. just have to make sure that your shocks are compressing to the same lvl and has the same rebound.
MrHmgSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:31 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

If anyone else has these shocks then a PM to me on how you deal with these shocks would be great. I filled the shocks with oil two days ago and let the bubbles come out by letting them sit per the advice of an employee at my LHS. There wasn't a single bubble. After capping and cycling the shock a couple times I uncapped and to no surprise filled with bubbles. I am not sure why this keeps happening. I am getting to the point where I think it's time to upgrade the shocks. I know everyone has told me not to stress about a couple bubbles but I don't think couple bubbles should in to an entire shock body filled completely with bubbles.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:43 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHDAN4467 View Post
If anyone else has these shocks then a PM to me on how you deal with these shocks would be great. I filled the shocks with oil two days ago and let the bubbles come out by letting them sit per the advice of an employee at my LHS. There wasn't a single bubble. After capping and cycling the shock a couple times I uncapped and to no surprise filled with bubbles. I am not sure why this keeps happening. I am getting to the point where I think it's time to upgrade the shocks. I know everyone has told me not to stress about a couple bubbles but I don't think couple bubbles should in to an entire shock body filled completely with bubbles.

These shocks (as well as any bladderless shocks) are supposed to have bubbles in them. If you don't feel the shaft skipping or jumping as you compress it, you're fine. If you feel skipping as it compresses, you probably need to add a bit of oil.

When I set these up, usually end up filling each shock just over the level of the piston when the shock is fully compressed. At that level, once everything is sealed up, the shock has no problem reaching full extension and compression. That also ensures enough oil that the piston is not traveling through air pockets without oil resistance.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:38 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I filled mine to the bottom of the threads with oil, raised the piston, screwerd the cap on, wiped off any oil that got on the exterior of the body.

This isnt rocket science.
Mega Fattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:12 AM   #9
ion
Quarry Creeper

After watching the oil leak out of mine multiple times, because they suck at holding any oil, I turned to some marine grease just to lube the piston, and they work damn near perfectly for me.
ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:28 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I rebuilt mine when I bought them with green slime and haven't a leak yet. Fingers crossed they stay that way for a while. They still don't perform the greatest but as long as they don't leak I'm pretty happy.
Rjohn929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:45 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

I will have to give that marine grease a try. That was another thing I noticed. But all is good for the time being.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:32 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I'll expand on what new2rocks said. Start with general rule number 1, air can be compressed but shock oil cannot. You can fill a shock with oil and no air inside the shock body but this creates a problem when you try and push on the shock shaft. As the shock shaft moves into the body of the shock it needs to displace oil. Since shock oil cannot be compressed it will be forced out either the seals or through the threaded cap. A shock needs air inside the shock body to allow room for the shock shaft. With an emulsion shock the air and oil mixes together but a diaphragm shock keeps the air and oil separate.
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:59 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

What Spookyseven said and I find emulsion shocks to be easier to assemble/bleed and are more durable and consistent for me.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

King Shocks - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
G-Made Piggyback shocks vs. RC4WD King shocks crwlnCreeper Axial Wraith 33 01-20-2016 09:48 AM