RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   General Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/)
-   -   What your Crawling Style? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/563033-what-your-crawling-style.html)

Waitwhatsthat? 05-01-2016 08:27 AM

What your Crawling Style?

Was out with some friends yesterday, doing some crawling/trailing. Like most times, I'm the odd man out with the only ax10 amongst a slew of scx10's. I usually try to keep it slow and steady. Choosing a challenging line and trying my best to get through it. I noticed that my fellow crawlers took the opposite approach, and would just power through with lots of throttle. So it got me thinking about driving styles, and what people prefer and why. So go ahead, let's hear your opinion on this. It's all about having fun, so the isn't a wrong answer.

Szczerba 05-01-2016 08:31 AM

Re: What your Crawling Style?

I like my rigs to be low, slow and predictable. Let the suspension, tires and foams do all the work. I tend to gear down my pure crawling trucks more than most. I just like the low end smoothness, plus going slow lets you back out or correct things so you do go flopping around like a fish out of water.

ADlBOO 05-01-2016 09:11 AM

Slow and thought out. There may be a few times where I hit a spot with some speed to make it over, but not often.

gottorque 05-01-2016 10:54 AM

part finesse, part hammerhead

travis c. 05-01-2016 10:57 AM

Slow and challenging."thumbsup"

WHITE-TRASH 05-01-2016 11:33 AM

I crawl what I can and jump what I can't. :lol:

There was a line last week we were trying to make that just wasn't happening. After I let the bouncer spin the tires for easily 2 minutes with steady throttle slowly working the steering back and forth the tires started to break in and it hooked. Up I went, I was the only one that made it. Another line there was no possible way to make the bottom part, it was an undercut. So I lined up with a couple ledges and jumped the cut. Crawled the rest of it. :mrgreen:

EeePee 05-01-2016 11:38 AM

Completely out of control, breaking as much as possible while complaining about breaking parts constantly.

Or the opposite.

stevetate12 05-01-2016 11:38 AM

I like driving scale.....i like building things that would be considered class 1 or streetable and driving them like a 1:1 would have to be driven.....i chose lines carefully and use the winch alot....lol....same would apply if were driving a wraith/bomber type rig.....i just like the scale aspect

msrace 05-01-2016 12:09 PM

I like the slow technical stuff, usually the stuff everyone says nobody can make. Just like wheeling my 1:1, look for the impossible. My wraith is built more like real comp buggies than anything I've seen in rc.

MattTheGenus 05-01-2016 12:43 PM

21.5t on 2s lipo, I guess I like slow.

2JSC 05-01-2016 02:03 PM

All throttle, no drag break... stock dog bones.

ion 05-01-2016 02:43 PM

Slow and steady where it needs to be, but if I need to have it pop up and over something then i swap from high to low on the rc4wd ax2 two speed and up it'll go.

idaho 05-01-2016 03:55 PM

I change my style according to terrain, I prefer slow and methodical but I'm not afraid of using a heavy finger when needed. I'll try and crawl everything first before I come at it like a raped ape.
I gear low, and run brushless on 4s, so I'm nice and smooth down low but can wheelie on demand to get on a ledge or whatever.

Jeepiac 05-01-2016 06:57 PM

Slow, precise and always on the perfect line running the perfect speed. Unless there's people watching, then it's mostly upside down accompanied by lots of profanities.

Waitwhatsthat? 05-01-2016 07:20 PM

Lol exactly! I always run much more precise when alone. Get with a group, and I lose focus and end up making mistakes.

hotwheels000 05-02-2016 08:07 AM

Slow and steady with a little bump if needed. FTW

I don't trial simply for the reason your pondering and the question the ensued. Fast pace and bashing on the TRAIL is for the Traxxas guys LOL

Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of go fast/basher rigs also. But I don't CRAWL with them.

VMGontheRocks 05-02-2016 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotwheels000 (Post 5496279)

I don't trial simply for the reason your pondering and the question the ensued. Fast pace and bashing on the TRAIL is for the Traxxas guys LOL

Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of go fast/basher rigs also. But I don't CRAWL with them.

I copied this guys driving style. :lmao:

JohnRobHolmes 05-02-2016 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gottorque (Post 5495814)
part finesse, part hammerhead

Quote:

Originally Posted by idaho (Post 5495937)
I change my style according to terrain, I prefer slow and methodical but I'm not afraid of using a heavy finger when needed. I'll try and crawl everything first before I come at it like a raped ape.
I gear low, and run brushless on 4s, so I'm nice and smooth down low but can wheelie on demand to get on a ledge or whatever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotwheels000 (Post 5496279)

What these guys said. Gotta have low speed control to accomplish any technical line. The difference between one lug grabbing can make or break the situation.

But sometimes traction isn't there, and that is when the "little bump" is needed. I like to have about 20mph of bump on tap for my trail rigs, and I swear it is just for testing low speed control of systems :mrgreen:

Strictly crawling rigs can do fine with 10mph top speed or less.

Orange peel 05-02-2016 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2JSC (Post 5495899)
All throttle, no drag break... stock dog bones.

You can't just copy the definition of crawler off Wikipedia

kylechandler1300 05-02-2016 07:51 PM

I prefer going slow. More fun.