Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Ssd d60 housing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2016, 09:33 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Ssd d60 housing

So I was crawling today and all of sudden the steering stopped, the truss had come off (I'm running axle mount servo) and the threads and pulled out of the housing. Is there any to fix this or do I buy a f9 housing?

1.9 Ibex tuber
Bmxreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2016, 10:50 AM   #2

Default Re: Ssd d60 housing

few years back when i bought a set of fancy alloy axle cases machined by cnc fairies i was super stoked. when i got them i was amazed at the detail and the quality. so happy.

when i put them together... they wouldnt spin. i tried to contact the fairies to exchange the problem part with one that wasnt a problem, since its the fairies job to make parts i figured it was an easy solution.

somehow... the fairies were able to take my money over the magical interwebs but 3 times werent able to reply to my polite requests to exchange a p.o.s. part for one that i didnt have to sand pinion bearings down to get to work. fairies never made good never got back to me.

SO... i ended up sending my fancy fairy axles to a troll who fixed them for me.

i would just get a few spare ssd axle cases and spend the rest on other stuff. maybe not torque down as hard on the truss screws. or maybe beef tubes can be tapped or are tapped to tie the truss mount to the tubes.

Last edited by badhoopty; 05-16-2016 at 10:59 AM.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:56 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
few years back when i bought a set of fancy alloy axle cases machined by cnc fairies i was super stoked. when i got them i was amazed at the detail and the quality. so happy.

when i put them together... they wouldnt spin. i tried to contact the fairies to exchange the problem part with one that wasnt a problem, since its the fairies job to make parts i figured it was an easy solution.

somehow... the fairies were able to take my money over the magical interwebs but 3 times werent able to reply to my polite requests to exchange a p.o.s. part for one that i didnt have to sand pinion bearings down to get to work. fairies never made good never got back to me.

SO... i ended up sending my fancy fairy axles to a troll who fixed them for me.

i would just get a few spare ssd axle cases and spend the rest on other stuff. maybe not torque down as hard on the truss screws. or maybe beef tubes can be tapped or are tapped to tie the truss mount to the tubes.

Ok thanks, now what about the f9s?? Will the f9 last me longer?
Old 05-16-2016, 01:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmxreeves View Post
Ok thanks, now what about the f9s?? Will the f9 last me longer?
sure... they make good stuff no doubt. my curries are working fine after i payed somebody else to machine the pinion bearing pockets so my axles would spin. in terms of durability hell yeah they will last you longer. and they look killer...

there are cheaper options that might let you put some of that money in other places. i really like the team ottsix tko housings, and beeftubes makes a pretty sweet setup for them.

team-ottsix-racing

BEEF TUBES
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:34 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
sure... they make good stuff no doubt. my curries are working fine after i payed somebody else to machine the pinion bearing pockets so my axles would spin. in terms of durability hell yeah they will last you longer. and they look killer...

there are cheaper options that might let you put some of that money in other places. i really like the team ottsix tko housings, and beeftubes makes a pretty sweet setup for them.

team-ottsix-racing

BEEF TUBES

Awesome thanks man! I will look into that
Old 05-16-2016, 04:11 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Would brass inserts work in the axle tubes? Also for the screw that holds the truss to the diff I wonder if you could use a longer screw and a nut inside the diff, although you would need to use locktite or something to keep it from coming loose. Stripped screws are annoying but I wouldn't throw away a housing just for this reason.
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:51 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookyseven View Post
Would brass inserts work in the axle tubes? Also for the screw that holds the truss to the diff I wonder if you could use a longer screw and a nut inside the diff, although you would need to use locktite or something to keep it from coming loose. Stripped screws are annoying but I wouldn't throw away a housing just for this reason.

I'm thinking about making beef tubes (I'm cheap to buy ones) and drill and tap them. What's the threads on the screws?
Old 05-16-2016, 08:17 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Silly question, did you have all three screws in the truss?
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:32 AM   #9
SSD
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSRCdesign View Post
Everytime somebody has had a problem it has been because they have not fitted the the middle flat head screw in the truss. It makes a huge difference.

SSD D60s have proven to be very strong if assembled correctly.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:09 AM   #10
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Throw some Heli coil inserts in them. Stronger than when new!

I can do this for you if needed. PM me.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:38 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

You can also do the old trick of using thick CA and putting a screw in (no truss installed). The glue will cure and you can unscrew the screw and put it all back together. Not perfect, but will hold up quite a while. I had a Wraith with this fix for the C-hubs because I was too cheap and stubborn to replace them. Ran about a year like that.
Helios RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:18 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSRCdesign View Post

Yes.

Ssd d60 housing - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Offset SSD D60 axle ctrwannabe General Crawlers 18 04-07-2016 08:58 PM
Any had this problem with the ssd d60 housing? Bmxreeves Axial SCX-10 0 01-09-2016 04:13 PM