RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   General Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/)
-   -   My servo keeps shifting position (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/566809-my-servo-keeps-shifting-position.html)

fyrstormer 06-30-2016 07:38 PM

My servo keeps shifting position

The steering servo on my Wraith keeps shifting position. Presumably it's getting jarred by the titanium steering linkage, and slides one way or the other, throwing off the steering trim. I've ignored it for a long time, but everything else on my Wraith works so well at this point, it's starting to bug me that I haven't fixed this problem yet.

I could probably hack something together that would do the job, but I'm curious to know if there are any ready-made solutions, or at least well-proven homebrew solutions, for this problem. Ideas?

ScaleFreak93 06-30-2016 09:47 PM

Re: My servo keeps shifting position

So your whole servo is shifting position? Or your servo horn?

fyrstormer 06-30-2016 09:54 PM

The whole servo is shifting in the mounts. I have a clamping aluminum servo horn, and there's no evidence that the servo gears are skipping teeth. It's a Hitec HS-7955TG servo, it's pretty much bulletproof.

ScaleFreak93 06-30-2016 09:58 PM

Are you still running it on the stock plate with the stock plastic mounts?

mikebecher 06-30-2016 10:07 PM

VP servo clamps and if that's not enough add a VP servo mount "thumbsup"

ScaleFreak93 06-30-2016 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikebecher (Post 5527625)
VP servo clamps and if that's not enough add a VP servo mount "thumbsup"

Yea, best bet is right here. Stock and stock style blow. That actual mount is a rigid mount instead of having the two pieces bolted to a plate that can move. Between those your issue should be solved.

fyrstormer 06-30-2016 10:16 PM

Ah, very good. That should do nicely.

mikebecher 06-30-2016 10:24 PM

Full disclosure - I don't actually have the VP servo mount. I'm using a DCW DeWanger with aluminum posts but that one-piece VP design looks even awesomer!

fyrstormer 07-01-2016 03:26 AM

Yeah, I jumped on it. It's listed under SCX10 parts, but it says it fits AR60 axles, so it should work fine. I got the servo-ear clamps too.

I don't need the DeWanger because I partially unscrewed the ball-ends on the titanium lower suspension links until they were long enough that the diff pinions were level when the truck was sitting on the ground. That had the side-bonus of tilting the servo backwards just far enough that it doesn't "whang" the servo horn on the frame of the truck. I've had it that way for about two years and I've had no problems with the ball-ends slipping on the threads as a result of being partially-unscrewed -- even after many, many flying nosedives off rocks that had no good descent options. (which brings us back to why I need to secure the servo better.)

mikebecher 07-01-2016 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fyrstormer (Post 5527674)
... I've had no problems with the ball-ends slipping on the threads as a result of being partially-unscrewed -- even after many, many flying nosedives off rocks that had no good descent options. (which brings us back to why I need to secure the servo better.)

In case you don't already - use the longer Jato rod ends to gain more length in your links without having to partially unscrew them, if you do happen to bust one.

fyrstormer 07-02-2016 03:03 AM

I'll have to double-check, but I think the Jato rod ends are actually too long. I had them on my Yeti though, they worked well on that truck.

mikebecher 07-02-2016 08:42 AM

You can always trim them down. I just know that one of my recurring problems was pulling off rod ends so I make sure all threads are engaged, no more and no less.

fyrstormer 07-05-2016 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikebecher (Post 5528202)
You can always trim them down. I just know that one of my recurring problems was pulling off rod ends so I make sure all threads are engaged, no more and no less.

Good point.

fyrstormer 07-05-2016 08:35 PM

That'll do. Thanks for the suggestion.

http://i.imgur.com/Bk26R2M.jpg