Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Tummy tuck questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2016, 01:41 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Tummy tuck questions

I have been reading quite a bit about the idea of raising the skid plate higher into the chassis, and I'm seeing some mixed reviews. If the shocks stay the same, wouldn't the CoG be higher? Is the increased clearance worth the higher CoG? Would this negate any benefits of a droop or lowered shock setup? Would it be beneficial to do both?
Thanks!!!
Turtlejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2016, 01:54 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Tummy tuck questions

I didn't think of it so much as moving the skid up but rather moving the entire chassis down by shortening the shocks. On my Bomber I run the shocks at about 80% droop and still maintain decent skid clearance.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:46 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Sure, droop or lower shocks plus tummy tuck, then. Makes sense. Any reason not to? Has anyone regretted doing the TT?
Old 07-02-2016, 07:47 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Here's my .02. It completely depends on the truck and the rest of the setup, and it's best to think of it separately from other mods like shorter shocks or shock limiters (you can do those with or without lifting the skid). On the TF2, lifting the skid is a no-brainer, because it has almost no effect on CG. The only thing that gets lifted is the t-case, which weighs nothing, so on that truck, there are only pluses. That's why Nick and I created the high clearance TF2 skid. On a rig with a center-mounted tranny and motor (stock SCX10, Wraith, Ascender, Bomber, etc), raising the skid has a bigger impact on CG and can adversely impact performance. Any benefit from less high centering and better clearance on break overs would be more noticeable on longer WB rigs (more susceptible to high centering) than on shorter WB rigs (less susceptible to high centering). So all else equal, a tummy tuck would make more sense on a longer WB rig than on a shorter WB rig, and on one where it either doesn't impact CG much (because it's only lifting the t-case) or where other changes (shock limiters, shorter shocks, etc) could offset the higher CG without otherwise compromising performance.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:00 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I am thinking about doing this to a bomber, so long wheelbase, I'll run super droop shocks, pretty low.
I am 50/50 about doing this mod, mainly because of potential durability issues, but also because of any potential performance trade offs.
I'll be doing about equal amounts of high speed U4 bashing, and steep technical crawling.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:50 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

That would be an interesting question for a Bomber. I have just enough run time on mine to know that the center skid gets in the way, but not enough to have a good feel for whether it's worth raising the skid vs. other mods like shortening the WB, switching to a Wraith skid and tranny, etc. My suggestion would be to make your other mods first and see how it performs. You can then test the tummy tuck in isolation to see if it's a net plus or minus from there. Either way, let us know what you decide.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:12 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I'd like to see the results of just a tummy tuck as well. I've done all the things new2rocks mentioned so it's hard to tell how much just the tummy tuck helps on a mostly stock rig. Heck, if it doesn't work out I'll make you a deal on a new-in-package set of side rails which I won't be using.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:32 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebecher View Post
I'd like to see the results of just a tummy tuck as well. I've done all the things new2rocks mentioned so it's hard to tell how much just the tummy tuck helps on a mostly stock rig. Heck, if it doesn't work out I'll make you a deal on a new-in-package set of side rails which I won't be using.
It's really your thread that got me interested in doing the tummy tuck, Mike! Having a good deal on the parts I'd be cutting would totally make me much more likely to try it out!

I really like the idea of running it for a while, and then doing the mod without changing anything else, to isolate the variable. I am moving this week, but luckily there are tons of rocks in my new yard, and a big rocky mountain a few hundred feet away.

I will absolutely do this kind of test once i get set up in NY, and try to take before and after video.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:17 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

If the skid is moved up with the upper shock mounts remaining the same, you will change how the suspension reacts if the links are mounted to the skid. More than likely this will increase the antisquat and further reduce traction. To me it seems like you are adding width to the lowest part of the rig causing more interference than helping.
msrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:22 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrace View Post
If the skid is moved up with the upper shock mounts remaining the same, you will change how the suspension reacts if the links are mounted to the skid. More than likely this will increase the antisquat and further reduce traction. To me it seems like you are adding width to the lowest part of the rig causing more interference than helping.

Yeah, I was worried that may be the case. I hear many folks raving about how great the difference is, and several folks, most of whom haven't tried it, sounding skeptical. I am hanging up on the belly quite a bit, so it seems logical to give it a try. I'm going to put it through its paces for a while, and get a real feel for it, and then I'll mod it, I guess...
Old 07-15-2016, 08:59 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Well, if you are running droop shocks, or lowered suspension, and a tummy tuck, wouldn't the geometry be basically the same as stock?
Old 07-15-2016, 11:55 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

A "shorter" body / frame is almost always better (until it hinders suspension geometry) for crawling. That could mean more ground clearance, or a lower center of gravity or a mixture of the two.

For a lower center of gravity you would adjust the pre-load in your shocks and / or raise their mounting points on the frame to bring the body down so that you're maintaining the same ground clearance and geometry, but a lower center of gravity. Think of it as lowering the frame over the skid, not raising the skid into the frame.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:29 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I thought of it this way; Skid and trans stayed in the same place and everything else in the chassis got lower. As long as you run a droop setup.
Crawlin' Lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:03 PM   #14
Hal
Quarry Creeper

TT in the Bomber may be a problem with the link mounts. Mine has a 60/40 droop setup on the shocks. I would think with the motor high up as it is with this tranny you would want to keep it low as possible. I was thinking doing shorter rear suspension using the Verterra rear arms. I don't get hung up too much now, but I run a pretty tall tire. I have the TSL Swampers 2.2 so for me it makes sense to maybe try a shorter wheel base. Interested to see what you do and how it works.
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:40 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrace View Post
This dropping the widest part of the frame lower is why I didn't do it.

If you do tummy tuck, you gotta raise the upper shock mounts to get the full cog benefit.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tummy tuck questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tummy Tuck Therichardpowell Axial Wraith 102 04-28-2021 08:43 AM
Tummy Tuck How To? lwarc HPI Wheely King 12 11-16-2008 05:02 PM
tummy tuck questions. taylor smith General Crawlers 14 03-13-2007 10:13 AM
My Tummy Tuck currupt4130 General Crawlers 3 10-21-2006 09:18 AM
Tummy Tuck questions? Jeepernick General Crawlers 14 05-05-2006 11:10 PM