Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Lubricant for metal spur/pinion?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2016, 03:49 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Lubricant for metal spur/pinion?

My stock plastic spur warped on me so I upgraded to a robinson racing metal spur/slipper clutch.

So far, I have been lubricating the gears with a hunk of unknown candle wax (something soy or beeswax knowing my wife's dislike of petroleum based candles) that is kind of on the hard side, but works decently.

I am wondering if there are specific types of wax that both stick to the gears but also are not so hard they make a crummy mess.

I have also heard of people using bar soap on their spur and pinion. I don't know if this is any better than wax, and if the kind of soap matters (irish spring?).

I lube my gears by running the motor very very slowly and grind the hunk of wax where the 2 gears meet.

I know some people say you don't need lube, but I run a 10t pinion and 64t spur. Both xtra hard robinson stuff, but still I would like to reduce wear on the pinion. Also it is horribly noisy without any waxing. I swear it is half as loud post waxing.
theTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2016, 04:16 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Lubricant for metal spur/pinion?

Why not use marine grease ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aiden102408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:21 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Good idea with the wax lube, regular grease would be super messy and attract lots of dirt which will destroy the gears. This is one reason I run plastic spurs only, they are quieter, less rotating mass, inexpensive fusible link. Even on larger scale and nitro, a good plastic spur and steel pinion should be fine. Set mesh properly and go. If you're running 48 pitch, it may be necessary to step up to 32 pitch for durability. What is the vehicle, power plant and gear pitch? Tranny top shaft loose, bearings worn?

EDIT: When you get into the 10/64 ratio ranges, gears don't mesh as well and will be noisier.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:14 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Good idea with the wax lube, regular grease would be super messy and attract lots of dirt which will destroy the gears. This is one reason I run plastic spurs only, they are quieter, less rotating mass, inexpensive fusible link. Even on larger scale and nitro, a good plastic spur and steel pinion should be fine. Set mesh properly and go. If you're running 48 pitch, it may be necessary to step up to 32 pitch for durability. What is the vehicle, power plant and gear pitch? Tranny top shaft loose, bearings worn?

EDIT: When you get into the 10/64 ratio ranges, gears don't mesh as well and will be noisier.

I never thought of dirt and debris sticking to the grease

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aiden102408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:25 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post

Axial bomber (they have a yeti trans just fyi). I also wanted a better slipper than the stock paper crap.

Another thing about using stuff like wax or soap is that it doesn't get in the slipper and lube up the pads and make them slip more.

I run with the dust cover on, but I am debating going without. Maybe at least go without it while I dial in the slipper. A good slipper like the robinson one can be tuned to work even for crawling. Conventional wisdom in the community is to lock down the slipper totally, but a good quality slipper can be better adjusted to slip at the right time. Still, hardcore comp guys might rather just lock it down so they can make risky moves in binds etc (been at comps where desperate, overly competitive guys punch the throttle in a bind so they might possibly make it out knowing full well they are more than likely to explode a driveline component somewhere than escape). I would rather fine tune my slipper and have it slip before I bust things.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:38 PM   #6

i have never lubed a steel spur and pinion other than maybe a squirt of wd to help knock the rust off.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:17 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
i have never lubed a steel spur and pinion other than maybe a squirt of wd to help knock the rust off.
Same here. Wouldn't the pinion sling off all the grease or whatever else was used to lube it and make a mess?
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:37 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepiac View Post
Same here. Wouldn't the pinion sling off all the grease or whatever else was used to lube it and make a mess?
Wax stays put.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by theTman View Post
I would rather fine tune my slipper and have it slip before I bust things.
pshaw
Attached Images

badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:59 PM   #10

Never personally used any grease, if you're having a noise you're concerned about I would recommend a shot of aerokroil.
High Angle Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:27 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

If new parts are going in, I mix up some MolyD and a touch a Teflon.. applied sparingly. Run it until things wear in slightly/ become quieter, wipe dry and go.
NitritedCarbide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:48 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I've heard people using bar soap way back in the day.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:19 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

While i have never had a problem with pinions or spur gears not lasting due to not lubricating them, a chain wax for bicycles will go on wet and most dry to a film that isn't supposed to attract dirt.

Might be worth a try, and a bottle would last a long time.

Might work good for driveshaft and front axle joints as well.
Druxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:32 AM   #14

CVDs/Universals require lube, but they also are prone to getting dirt, gravel, etc in the grease. Because of this I started using Ballistol on my CVDs. I just started doing this so I don't have any long term results to share. But Ballistol is something I use on my guns. It dries and is much less prone to having debris stick to it. I think it could potentially be great on gears.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:59 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Find yourself some "White Lightning clean ride" bike lube. Goes on wet and dries. I use it in my Hulksta Trans (which is an open design) and it works great. Dirt does not collect on the gears.
Stuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck View Post
Find yourself some "White Lightning clean ride" bike lube. Goes on wet and dries. I use it in my Hulksta Trans (which is an open design) and it works great. Dirt does not collect on the gears.
Interesting. I'm not sure why I've never thought to use chain wax from my quad on RCs.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:03 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

X2 on chain wax but I use a product called EZOX. It's intended for weapons but it goes on wet and you leave it sit over night. The stuff bonds into the metal and works awesome. Makes my Glocks super slick and is dry to the touch. I use it on sticky RC4WD shock shafts and it works wonders.
doubler is offline   Reply With Quote

Lubricant for metal spur/pinion? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
metal spur/pinion gears BLOWN HOWARD Axial Wraith 3 10-10-2013 09:05 PM
spur/pinion??? armycrawler101st Newbie General 3 11-06-2010 05:22 PM
metal pinion/plastic spur??? jpax10 Newbie General 3 05-01-2010 08:01 AM