Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Gate check-in via smartphone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2016, 09:57 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Gate check-in via smartphone

This is an example of a system we'll be testing out to record gate check-ins for the Big Island Rock Race - Numbah One!
The concept is that every race marker has a unique QR code and each driver scans it as they pass through.
After submitting a simple form, the driver number and time will be recorded for that marker.
We're not requiring the use of this system but it might be neat to see race results in real-time.

Try it out for yourself:

Scan this QR code and submit your response. If you don't have a QR code scanner, here's one for Android and one for iPhone
You can also click here to load the check-in form.

Your entry will show up here.
*** Google only updates this embedded sheet every 5 minutes. To see results now, go to the live sheet ***

Last edited by mikebecher; 09-18-2016 at 10:23 AM.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2016, 06:46 AM   #2

Default Re: Gate check-in via smartphone

Pretty cool. I love anything technology related so this makes me giddy. I'm not a comp guy, but I've been involved in running one and this should make scoring a lot easier. Nice work.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:19 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

thats pretty cool.
sharkattack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:23 PM   #4

I really really like the idea, but I do see a potential for problems. Over zealous drivers might scan early (scanning before passing through the gate). What if I forgot to scan one gate?? When I am out playing with my RC car, I usually silence my phone, or leave it in my vehicle, so having to pull it out at each gate would be, IMHO, a hindrance.

I offer this idea: model the gates after anti-shoplifting devices. Each gate is an electric sensor, so once your car breaks the plane of the sensor, its logged. Using the same idea as the stores, you can use the very small, light weight stickers (pretty sure they're just a weak magnet) and adhere them to a part of the car (you could go as far as putting everyone's sticker in the same general spot)!
darobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:26 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by darobk View Post
I really really like the idea, but I do see a potential for problems. Over zealous drivers might scan early (scanning before passing through the gate). What if I forgot to scan one gate?? When I am out playing with my RC car, I usually silence my phone, or leave it in my vehicle, so having to pull it out at each gate would be, IMHO, a hindrance.

I offer this idea: model the gates after anti-shoplifting devices. Each gate is an electric sensor, so once your car breaks the plane of the sensor, its logged. Using the same idea as the stores, you can use the very small, light weight stickers (pretty sure they're just a weak magnet) and adhere them to a part of the car (you could go as far as putting everyone's sticker in the same general spot)!
Yup, there's loads of possible problems - no phone, no service, dead phone, scans not registering, forgetting to scan, rain, cheaters, and so on. We had a discussion like this a while back and everything was either too cumbersome or expensive.

This method was free to implement and will be optional. Drivers can check-in electronically or fill out their scorecards and log at every gate. They can cheat either way and failure to log a gate could result in a disqualification.

Automating gate check-in is going to result in someone figuring out how to defeat it no matter what. If we were to use anti-shoplifting type sensors, what keeps a driver from pulling the ID tag off the car or lifting the rig and just passing it through the gate? And then there's the cost. You would have to put a reader with power source on every gate, a tag on every car, and devise some sort of method to transmit all the data back to a central location. It's doable but unless Motorola is going to sponsor us, I thinks it's a bit beyond our budget.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote

Gate check-in via smartphone - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Smartphone advice ??? THX_138 Chit Chat 28 04-01-2015 10:01 PM
Smartphone Disposal? BJoe Chit Chat 18 04-12-2014 05:01 PM
Smartphone question... Duuuuuuuude Chit Chat 53 06-28-2013 12:07 AM
Breaking the plain on the final Gate/ going BKWDS through a gate 4ruggy WRCCA Rules 16 03-06-2009 03:08 PM