Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Drive line help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2016, 10:16 AM   #1
mta

Default Drive line help

hi i have a cheap hg401 an i cannot for the life of me keep drivelines there line are like a 6 point star an it is swirling twisting the lines beyond use an managed to break my axle over it aswell ive been looking but most axial stuff is off set in lengths any idea where to look ive tried ebay an much is from china 2 month ship times
mta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2016, 10:22 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Drive line help

Good thing you saved money on a cheap rig isn't it.

If the trans output and pinion on the axle is the same 5mm as most of the industry then pretty much any plastic driveline can be made to work if it's too long. T &E maxx axles also make great drivelines.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:28 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

You may have to shim the shaft there is a whole thread on those crawler

149 r/c worx team driver
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:33 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Use 4mm i.d. and 5mm o.d. aluminum tubing. Very cheap. Cut sections out to slip as a sleeve inside a 5mm drive shaft. Drill the hole for the pin to drop through. Now you can use any 5mm driveshaft. Pointers. They are budget crawlers. But really nice with some work. First,,,all ball bearings. Get rid of the brass bushings as they wear out quick. Second, shim all outdrive shafts. Diffs and center tranny. This is the most crucial since they are not hardened steel. Third, pack both diffs and center tranny with marine grease. I am sure some of u guys will be playing in water sooner then later. Marine grease repels water better then all other greases and its thick. Helps keeps tolerances tight. I am runnjng a 35T Axial trailbreaker motor and a Hobbywing WP-1060 ESC on 11.1v lipo pack. It rips and no broken gears..I dumped money in mine. But still under 250.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Last edited by Ctrain57; 09-23-2016 at 12:50 AM.
Ctrain57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:58 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

The duratrax wheels and tires are amazing for climbing and conforming into rocks. Used AX10 shocks. They were about 5mm longer then the stock shocks. Savox waterproof servo. RC4WD servo and steering link made for an SCX10. All metal diff housings, frame rails, and servo mount. I friggin love this scaler. Metal really adds weight significantly.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:00 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Oh yeah...and relocated battery to front.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:17 AM   #7
mta

thanks for the help guys i ended up trading parts an was able to grab some metal shafts i went through shimming everything an i went with the metal replacement axles just waiting on banggood now for front an swapped to a mg995 metal servo Now i am thinking about those 60$ axial stripped kits on ebay they have metal frames an links lots of upgrades for what i have marine grease was a huge thing my kid loves to mud bog this thing an since i cannot for the life of me keep water out with red grease the marine stuff was awesome thanks again i actually bought a hg 601 for my daughter later on ill throw up some pictures thanks again!
Old 10-14-2016, 07:22 AM   #8
mta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrain57 View Post
The duratrax wheels and tires are amazing for climbing and conforming into rocks. Used AX10 shocks. They were about 5mm longer then the stock shocks. Savox waterproof servo. RC4WD servo and steering link made for an SCX10. All metal diff housings, frame rails, and servo mount. I friggin love this scaler. Metal really adds weight significantly.

with the weight transfer of the battery is it super top heavy toward the front or do you get that torque twist rocking toward the rear ? i to moved the battery an did nothing for me so just put it back What rx tx are you running with the savox an i have some buds who run gear reduction boxes what do you think with our h/L set up with a grb on top of that

Last edited by mta; 10-14-2016 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:39 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Awesome Mta. I like your build on this 601. So the thing is. I have all the metal on mine. Except forvtge bottom skid plate. Have yet to order that. Both diff housings are metal. I have the metal frame. My front rims are weighted with lead taped on the inside if the rim. Its is a damn heavy rig and most of the weight being from the frame and below, so it helps pull it down. It crawls amazing.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:45 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Relocating the battery to the front made 0 difference on it being top heavy. Its at the same height as it was in the rear. I dud end up turningg my motor and trans. So I could fit bigger batteries. Currently, I run 3s lipo wuth a RC4WD 65 turn motor. It works so much better then the lower turn motor at 7.4 volt. I havent broke any gears in 8 months with constant use everyday just about. The secret is meshing the gears really tight. Cheap pot metal. Take all the slack out that u can. And dont be too herky jerky on the throttle. I will post a pic.

Last edited by Ctrain57; 03-21-2017 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:01 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Still running the original stock 4mm driveshafts. Knock on wood. No problems at all. I thought after the 3s and torqier motor I would have broken them or the gears. But nope.

Drive line help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
drive line help Aaronb Axial AX-10 Scorpion 5 02-18-2010 10:44 PM
drive line help? n0b420 Venom Creeper 13 01-06-2010 05:34 AM
drive line help!! minicracker Tamiya CR-01 9 12-05-2008 10:22 PM
drive line issues dipstick Axial AX-10 Scorpion 10 09-03-2007 09:43 AM
anyone tried this drive line for anything?? STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER Tamiya TLT Crawlers 4 03-29-2006 09:21 AM