Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: TF2 SWB, MST CMX, or STRC SCX10 SWB?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2016, 07:46 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default TF2 SWB, MST CMX, or STRC SCX10 SWB?

I recently found a New Bright Chevy Colorado, and I noticed the wheelbase was about the same as a CC01 or MST CMX. I'd like to make make the body look like my 1:1 Colorado - it's even an extended cab with the half rear doors - and mount it on a hobby grade crawler chassis.

I have an MST CMX with a Wrangler body already, and finally got to try it out last weekend. I also have 2 full-size SCX10s - one stock, and one with IFS and rear leaf springs on an LCG chassis.

Aside from the scale aspect, is the TF2 SWB worth nearly twice the cost of an MST CMX or SCX10 with the STRC SWB frame? I suppose I might even consider a CC01 chassis. I also saw a prototype for an MST CFX with a front motor. I do need to check the width of the body - I have a feeling that the SCX10 axles would be too wide to look right.
aver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2016, 07:45 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: TF2 SWB, MST CMX, or STRC SCX10 SWB?

I like the TF2 SWB. $379 (maybe less with a tower hobbies coupon code. I got mine for $340) and no need to change much if anything really. Comes with steel driveshafts, chassis servo mount, front transmission and transfer case etc. Leaf springs stock too if you are looking for that extra 1:1 realism. The only downside would be the transfer case mount. They provided one that accomodates a 4 link setup so you can change it later if you like. It sits way low and looks rather dumb if you are not going to use it with the link suspension. You may want to get the standard trailfinder transfer case mount.
If you do go TF2 SWB, I recommend checking and shimming your transfer case mount because every RC4WD I own failed at a smooth line-up of the intermediate shaft and had some stressing issues on the trans and xfer case shafts/bearings and needed shimming for alignment.

Just my personal opinion. My SCX10 is a great basher, but my RC4WDs are greater scalers and possibly better crawlers overall.
Scotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 07:26 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Default Re: TF2 SWB, MST CMX, or STRC SCX10 SWB?

I ordered a TF2 SWB from Tower with their pre-Black Friday coupon. I think it was $357, including a 45T motor and an AE5 ESC, with another $15 for faster shipping. I think I'm going to put my YJ body on the TF2 since it has leaf springs an put the Colorado body on the CMX.

Last edited by aver3; 11-23-2016 at 04:50 PM.
aver3 is offline   Reply With Quote

TF2 SWB, MST CMX, or STRC SCX10 SWB? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TF2 SWB YJ project Killa-Cotton RC4WD Trail Finder 2 57 02-16-2020 11:19 PM
TF2 SWB Wrangler 1tonblazer RC4WD Trail Finder 2 28 10-06-2017 05:54 AM
YJ Jeep on TF2 SWB seychelles RC4WD Trail Finder 2 18 06-22-2016 10:12 AM