Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Shafty's or MOA Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2017, 05:36 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Shafty's or MOA Question

I was curious to know why you would run a shafty or a MOA. I currently have a Wraith and had many clods in the past as Monster trucks and not a MOA crawler.

I'm just trying to understand it better.

Thanks
RCCasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2017, 06:37 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Shafty's or MOA Question

Crawling capabilities.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:54 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Clearance Clarence.
No spinning shafts to hang up or get caught and break. Direct drive motor to axle smoother and no torque twist

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:15 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Its A Berg Thing.......
roksloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:15 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

A moa will have better weight placement nice and low. Shafty's are there own animal to. Both work great if set up right. Some feel moa is cheating because of the not being a real truck thing and its many added benefits make it easier to use. I feel the moa needs some really hard stuff or it gets a bit boring. I have and use both just depends on the day and where I feel like going. I do find myself going for a scale truck most the time now.
351Beno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:08 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Moa is robot crawling. Crazy capable in the hands of a good driver. All I run are shafty, since they're slightly cheaper to build and there isn't the steep learning curve as there is in pro vs sporty.

I'll probably end up with a berg dipped in dlux goodness one of these days though just because.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:24 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

"shafty" is like the "beginner class" but its not really anymore. moa is a money pit in itself. ive been down that road 3 times and don't know why I go back.

just crawl man. go to a few local get togethers.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:01 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

It's just what you like most.. A shafty is way more difficult.. You have to predict your line of driving way better... Is's harder to drive so i find i way more fun.. A MOA is you can correct little mistakes when not driving the right line by using DIG.
Prices are also way higher on a MOA (but you can do it as wild as you can on a sporty also)
douwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:52 AM   #9
Custom Carbon Fiber

For me its the level of competitiveness around me and in me. I really enjoy the shafty rigs and making them do some incredible things. I swapped over to MOA years ago due to the drivers around me (and community) getting them and the course design was more in favor of them.

My little LCC did great and worked its ass off beating them. Locally its still an MOA world but would love to see the attention to Pro class get shown in Sporty around me. I think we could really turn the hobby around for us and make some good drivers even better.

Its def a different thought process driving a sporty, not a difficult one but keeps your mind going for 5 minutes.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
For me its the level of competitiveness around me and in me. I really enjoy the shafty rigs and making them do some incredible things. I swapped over to MOA years ago due to the drivers around me (and community) getting them and the course design was more in favor of them.

My little LCC did great and worked its ass off beating them. Locally its still an MOA world but would love to see the attention to Pro class get shown in Sporty around me. I think we could really turn the hobby around for us and make some good drivers even better.

Its def a different thought process driving a sporty, not a difficult one but keeps your mind going for 5 minutes.
Ditto that! You'll have the most fun if you build something similar to what your friends/locals are running. Most of my friends run SCX10's so it's not as fun when I bring my custom shafty out.
WarpedWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:13 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I don't have any fellow crawlers, so I went MOA and love it. Soon I will be almost as good as my rig

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 12:33 PM   #12
Hal
Quarry Creeper

It is a tough choice if you are only doing one or the other. I started out in shafty world but no one around here wants to do any comps with shaftys. I wound up getting MOA so I could have somebody to run with every week. Most of the shafty guys by me hibernate at 40 degrees or less. MOA has it's learning curve just like a shafty does. I feel we do different lines depending on the rigs capability as well as drivercapability. I have been doing MOA for about 6 months and am just starting to get a feel for what my rig can do and what changes will help me as a driver. Either one will have it's challenges.
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote

Shafty's or MOA Question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First MOA question Hoser1869 Axial XR10 4 03-09-2014 02:54 PM
Moa question Dezertdirt Newbie General 1 07-29-2013 05:11 PM
Anyone running shafty's? Lukescb7 Michigan 49 05-20-2013 05:40 AM
DX6i MOA Question rcrawler13 Electronics 6 02-29-2012 03:51 AM
MOA question ToyZuki Scale Comp Rules 46 09-10-2011 09:46 PM