Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: My gears are a poppin!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2017, 02:30 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default My gears are a poppin!

OK, I just finished my newest build and during the test bashing I started getting what sounds like a problem with the transmission. Never does it while moving forward under any conditions, but when you let off the throttle and the drag brake applies it'll pop. Sometimes just once, sometimes 3 or 4 pops. Sounds like a couple of gears aren't messing well and under extreme pressure the teeth are jumping. Also in reverse it will raise hell when hitting full throttle from a dead standstill. Transmission is a stock SCX10 housing with angle cut steel gears and a 32p spur. Axles are completely new with HD gears, one piece steel lockers and the mesh is spot on with every gear in this stupid thing. At least they look and feel perfect, but evidently something is off. Can the plastic transmission case flex enough to let the gear teeth jump? I build 1.9 and 1.55 scalers and this is my first leap into a heavy weight rig (9+ pounds) and brushless on 3s. Thought I had everything beefed up enough to take the weight and power, but that's what I get for thinking Any help sure would be appreciated!
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2017, 02:40 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: My gears are a poppin!

sounds like the angle cut gears are pushing themselves out each other in reverse and braking... why did you put in angle cut gears? If I am understanding you correctly, the style of gear you used will inherently try to push themselves apart in one direction and pull themselves together in the opposite direction..the plastic case could deflect enough to cause noise in my opinion...
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:28 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
sounds like the angle cut gears are pushing themselves out each other in reverse and braking... why did you put in angle cut gears? If I am understanding you correctly, the style of gear you used will inherently try to push themselves apart in one direction and pull themselves together in the opposite direction..the plastic case could deflect enough to cause noise in my opinion...
Exactly what I've been contemplating. I've wondered myself if the torque thrust of these gears would shorten bearing life too. They are supposed to have more contact area, which they do, but I'm starting to wonder if I should have just stuck with good ole straight cut gears.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:51 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepiac View Post
Exactly what I've been contemplating. I've wondered myself if the torque thrust of these gears would shorten bearing life too. They are supposed to have more contact area, which they do, but I'm starting to wonder if I should have just stuck with good ole straight cut gears.

i would have used the standard straight cut gears...
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:00 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I've always used straight cuts till now and have never had a problem. Still not 100% sure this is what's happening, but I don't know what else it could be. Pulling the tranny out of this thing is not enjoyable at all, so it'll have to wait till I feel like being tortured.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:25 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Pull one driveshaft at a time if that's easier just to make sure it isn't a rear end. Then you'll know for sure and possibly save yourself the headache of pulling the transmission for nothing. Good luck.
Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:34 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post
Pull one driveshaft at a time if that's easier just to make sure it isn't a rear end. Then you'll know for sure and possibly save yourself the headache of pulling the transmission for nothing. Good luck.
Ben
Thanks. I've had a buddy say the same thing. Think I'll try this, but I'm ordering a VP transmission case too. Just because I really want one weather I need it or not
Old 01-08-2017, 07:21 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I did what I should of in the first place. Pulled the tranny apart and there it is. The idler gear is shiny and the teeth are starting to sharpen. Should have just done this to begin with. Been working on this thing almost 3 months now and every time I turn around it's something else Just keep telling myself it'll be worth it in the end Thanks everyone for responding and holding my hand in my moment of distress

My gears are a poppin! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Poppin stock shocks....and what I did to "fix" em. The Modfather Axial AX-10 Scorpion 13 06-11-2008 01:46 PM
Poppin' the cherry RCCrawlerTT Newbie General 41 05-28-2007 09:02 PM