Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Shock oil weight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2017, 06:08 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Shock oil weight

I have a D90 rig that is weight about 4kg or 8.8lbs and I have installed Gmade RSD Scale shock. Noticed when running it, it bounces on rough terrain.
Is this cause from thinner shock oil (stock Gmade shock oil)? Or other?
How to determine proper shock oil on a rig?

deephis
deephis46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2017, 06:15 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Shock oil weight

I haven't worked on these shocks specifically, but any shock depends on the piston design and body size to make a comparison to another shock (all other variables equal). They are about the same diameter as RC4WD King Shocks, and if the piston is similar, you'll want some pretty heavy oil. Start with 1000 CST (about 80 wt.). If that's too much, try 40 wt. If 1000 is not enough, try 2000 CST, 5000 CST, or 10k CST. I run 10k in my Kings and it works great. This is why it is called tuning!
RCMFMaxxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:25 PM   #3
MODERATOR™

Yep, tuning. But it basically could be too much spring causing undamped bounce, or the shock is overdamped and packing up causing bounce. Got to get all up in there and watch it to see what's happening.

And, crawlers aren't supposed to go fast so you could just be expecting too much from the thing. I mean, the new Traxxas Defender does a reported 11 mph, so that'd be like 110 mph and that's just dumb.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:32 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Just tried 10k diff oil lol, just for test and it works but to stiff. I will try 1000cst. The pistons I used are 2 holes on it.

RCMFMaxxMan, how heavy is your rig running with Kings with 10k oil?

EeePee, The spring on them actually little bit stiff than Kings.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:38 AM   #5
RCC Addict

It's actually fairly light compared to yours: about 3kg. I just checked and the Kings use a 3-hole piston, and I even remember there being a bit of a gap between the piston and the body. This rig is setup to be pretty slow too, so I like the slower suspension response. If it were faster, like EeePee said, the truck would probably be bouncy on rough terrain due to over damping. Try the 1000. That will probably be much more appropriate. On another note, my rock racers generally run about 35wt. oil, but in a bigger shock, so if you are in fact running a faster rig, I may be pushing you too far in the wrong direction! Good luck!
RCMFMaxxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:17 AM   #6
RCC Addict

My Wraith weighted around 3.8kg with my Pro-line PowerStroke shocks, I used 30wt and happy with the result. Since I was doing bashing more than serious crawling , so I think I would try 25wt oil next time( I was hoping more faster rebound with lightest spring in front of my Wraith )
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:58 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMFMaxxMan View Post
It's actually fairly light compared to yours: about 3kg. I just checked and the Kings use a 3-hole piston, and I even remember there being a bit of a gap between the piston and the body. This rig is setup to be pretty slow too, so I like the slower suspension response. If it were faster, like EeePee said, the truck would probably be bouncy on rough terrain due to over damping. Try the 1000. That will probably be much more appropriate. On another note, my rock racers generally run about 35wt. oil, but in a bigger shock, so if you are in fact running a faster rig, I may be pushing you too far in the wrong direction! Good luck!
I have tried 1000, looks still stiff on my rig. I will try change the pistons. If not enough I will down to 800.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:23 PM   #8
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

The stock springs will be way too stiff on a typical crawler. There are a couple of threads going on the rsd shocks (scx10ii section). Most people are going for the rc4wd krawler springs to get it right. I run rsd's with stock spring in my modified Twin Hammers - i needed 10,000wt dif oil to settle it down, and it still has a bit of bounce when landing jumps.
Dbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:07 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teng View Post
My Wraith weighted around 3.8kg with my Pro-line PowerStroke shocks, I used 30wt and happy with the result. Since I was doing bashing more than serious crawling , so I think I would try 25wt oil next time( I was hoping more faster rebound with lightest spring in front of my Wraith )
I just went from 25 to 45 in my yeti powerstrokes. Still a little soft. Great articulation, but horrible for jumps. I mean, ANY airtime results in chassis slap.
Might even need stiffer springs. Stiffer is a word, right?

As for the d90 in question... man thats heavy! I would double the oil weight until its right.
I mean a bottle of oil costs less than a frappacino. Just test and tune! Feels so good when its finally dialed in.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote

Shock oil weight - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shock Oil Weight? raddad1975 Newbie General 4 05-08-2016 03:59 AM
what weight of shock oil do you use k_ogre Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 4 04-25-2011 11:02 PM
What weight shock oil? Denny Axial AX-10 Scorpion 2 05-11-2009 01:43 PM
Shock oil weight??? dpim General Crawlers 6 10-30-2005 02:23 PM