Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

View Poll Results: Which part of the hobby do you enjoy the most?
Building 28 45.90%
Crawling/driving 4 6.56%
Both equally 29 47.54%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Which part of the hobby do you enjoy the most?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2017, 07:48 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Which part of the hobby do you enjoy the most?

Question that's been on my mind lately since "finishing" my build.

Which part of the hobby do you enjoy the most? Is it the build aspect of it, watching all your ideas and parts come together or is it out on the rocks or in mud driving the wheels off of your truck?

For me it's the build itself and making something my own. All my ideas and planning comeing to life. The rush home from work knowing there's new parts In the mail box or those parts that I just can't wait to see so I have the wife open it and send pictures while I'm at work lol. I love crawling, just the build to me is much more fun.

Last edited by XJrob; 07-13-2017 at 07:53 PM.
XJrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2017, 08:12 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Which part of the hobby do you enjoy the most?

^ agreed. I only get out a couple times a month to actually drive, but I wrench a lot while watching RC videos on YouTube. If I'm not doing either of those, I'm browing forums, RC sites, parts shopping, reading. I think I'm addicted. I love starting a new build and ordering parts, seeing it all come together.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:29 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

^ it's the same for me. I spend endless time planning and installing upgrades. Can't imagine getting another RC unless it starts out as a kit ... but then the crawling / bashing is pretty sweet too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Thloftus; 07-13-2017 at 08:35 PM.
Thloftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:28 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I truly enjoy building my rigs more now from the ground up but because I truly abhor shelf queen rigs it's a must that I put them through something just because!!! I love this hobby !!!
17dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:53 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I love the build. I started out with a rtr and still love that truck. Then I built a mostly custom one off ascender and had a blast seeing everything come together and work out. I'm now just starting a complete scratch build of a big rig true 1/10 scale scaler and am enjoying the brainstorming phase right now.

I do enjoy the technical part of driving and climbing the rocks we have locally. But don't get out but maybe once a month if I'm lucky but get to wrench an hour a day or so. It's a great hobby and keeps my mind sharp mechanically while I don't have time or money to work on my 1:1 projects at my garage.

Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:56 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I enjoy building/modifying and the problem solving that goes along with it. I also enjoy the driving, particularly if I'm able to get through a challenging section that maybe I couldn't before my latest modification. Bottom line is I like them both...but probably building a bit more.
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:40 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

10% buying stuff
50% putting stuff together
40% using said stuff
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:49 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

call me weird, but the little allen head screws drive me nuts. I hate building and working on the damn things already. I like driving them and testing their limits. maybe I'm a schmuk, who knows, or maybe I spend enough time wrenching on my real life jeep on 40s that when I wanna play, I just wanna play without the work.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:35 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
call me weird, but the little allen head screws drive me nuts.
I was this way when I didn't have the proper tools. Once I bought my MIP driver set, this was a non issue. Night and day difference!
Old 07-14-2017, 08:39 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post
I was this way when I didn't have the proper tools. Once I bought my MIP driver set, this was a non issue. Night and day difference!
I have quality tools from back when I was big into mountain biking, think I paid about 3 times the price of MIP set for the ones I have... I know price and quality aren't always a direct correlation, but I built, raced, and rebuilt many many Specialized Stumpjumpers with those tools with no issue. I think the issue I'm having isn't quality of tool, I think its quality of OEM hardware. I may try and get a few of the hardware kits and see if I don't have better luck.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:41 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
I have quality tools from back when I was big into mountain biking, think I paid about 3 times the price of MIP set for the ones I have... I know price and quality aren't always a direct correlation, but I built, raced, and rebuilt many many Specialized Stumpjumpers with those tools with no issue. I think the issue I'm having isn't quality of tool, I think its quality of OEM hardware. I may try and get a few of the hardware kits and see if I don't have better luck.

Gotcha. RC4WD hardware is probably the softest I've used. Have to make sure the driver is really set in the screw head and you're nice and square to the screw to have any success. No issues with any of my Axial or Vaterra hardware, although I'm sure it's not "the best" by any means.

Team KNK hardware is the best I've used by far. Tough stuff and have yet to strip one with my MIPs
Old 07-14-2017, 08:45 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Team KNK hardware is the best I've used by far. Tough stuff and have yet to strip one with my MIPs
Looking on their website now. Bout to order the RR10 kit for my Bomber, SCX10 kit for it, they don't have one for the AX10, maybe just buy the 80 dollar mega bag and see what that jazz is all about.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:52 PM   #13

"hunting" for the parts and buildup is more fun then actually driving/crawling.
slimshaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:24 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

There are definitely difference in hardware quality. I came across a website that sells nearly limitless hardware and for cheap. A couple grades of stainless and some steel. I just placed a 400 piece order for $30 shipped. Mrmetric.com is my easy go to place. I actually ordered some m2.5 nylock nuts and some 2.5mm & 3mm pins to cut down to use for hinge pins for a road car I wrecked good enough to lose some. They all come bagged and labeled for each grouping so I just put them all in a shoebox until I need something. They had some torx head bolts when I looked today. Those may be better for you in off center spots. Of the probably hundreds of pieces I've used only one had a bad head and I've stripped maybe 4-5 more heads.

The planning, the hunt, and the build are as good to me as driving them.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:08 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

I enjoying the modding and tinkering, the driving and also some filming. It's all interesting. I think making custom stuff is really satisfying like custom links and lights etc. Saves a bit of money and you learn things. I'd love to be able to custom make a cage and totally spec a custom truck that wasn't based on a set rig from the ground up and have it work out. That would be the ultimate. Custom body and paint etc as well.
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:27 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I have to say, neither!
I love building and modifying , repair and tinkering. Driving is pure relaxation. But hanging with others , bench racing, and learning are what drives me in this hobby.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:27 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I can also recommend RTL Fasteners. They do offer stainless (which is always a bit soft) but they have a wide range of hobby-sized screws in grade 12.9 black alloy steel (highest grade I can find). Their website is a little primitive, but the product is good. They run big sales pretty regularly so I'd hold out for one of those if you wanted to buy from them. I've gotten a couple of their big assortment sets which means I always have a screw I can use on hand when something breaks.

Last edited by Pete9; 07-15-2017 at 01:34 PM.
Pete9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:33 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I do like driving, but wrenching is sanity for me. I've come home from a long day of work and said to my wife, "I need to take something apart and make it work perfectly." I will often let the kids in my neighborhood drive my rigs. When they (predictably) break them, I get to fix them. I might even use it as an excuse for upgrades....
Pete9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:15 AM   #19

I don't really know what driving is like yet. Our rig is spread out on top of the BBQ cover (it's the perfect height to work on). I keep buying things in cribs and drabs. They take a month to get to Australia. Then I change my mind or realise my plans were poo. Great feeling when something goes right. The waiting for parts bit drives me nuts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Disco Stu III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:46 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I love both aspects of the hobby. While I enjoy crawling with box-stock rigs and learning what they are capable of, as well as what their limitations are, I also enjoy modding and designing custom rigs. I just have a tendency to come up with new projects all the time and need to work on finishing projects.
Stoovey2004 is offline   Reply With Quote