Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: AX-10/SCX-10.2 old school Hybrid crawler! Where to post build pics?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2017, 10:50 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default AX-10/SCX-10.2 old school Hybrid crawler! Where to post build pics?

I recently built a fun non-scaler crawler with the SCX10.2 drivetrain and an AX-10 Gatekeeper GC-3A chassis.
Which sub-forum should I post it in?
AX-10 or SCX10.2?
Or just leave it right here?

I saw this GC-3A new in box on eBay and couldn't resist...
Such great memories of this chassis.
At the end of the day, I just wanted to build a fun crawler/hauler combo.
Simple design. Just under 5 lbs. The best of the old/new.

The 5.2 inch Losi Carvers sit the rig a tad lower than a normal 2.2 comp tire and help for rock racing and overall faster driving.
The SLW 600 hubs seem to be just wide enough for moderate speed, but not too wide for decent crawling.

Stock electronics doing great so far. Once the 35t stocker takes a dump on 3s, I'd like to upgrade to something a bit faster.

The servo on axle kit is from TFL Racing. Took about two weeks to arrive, ordered on ebay. Seems solid. I think only a hard direct impact could damage it.

Here's a few pics of the rig...

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
J.DUKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2017, 04:38 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: AX-10/SCX-10.2 old school Hybrid crawler! Where to post build pics?

Nice find on the chassis.

I would post it in the AX10 section since is is a 2.2S and not scale.
rob5059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:49 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

but its not a ax10.. or ax10-2.. or a scx10-2.. this is what I wanted to do but with a swx chassis. I do though have a sucker punch chassis still sitting.

your "shafty" looks pretty good man. im digging it. technically you could ditch the tvp plates and weld something up to put that skid on and make a class 3..
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:59 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Badass mix of old and new! I'm really digging this rig, I had one
of those chassis back in the day and it worked very well, even with the old TLT axles I was running lol. Looks like a super fun but still very capable rig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:45 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Why don't we have a Sporty sub-forum???
supermoturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:51 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermoturd View Post
Why don't we have a Sporty sub-forum???
Because daddy and daddy don't care about us anymore. As long as the adsense checks keep coming they leave us alone.

I remember when the gate keeper was still considered a good chassis. It's been a while for sure. I'd look into a mowhawk rear upper mount so you can get some weight transfer going.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:10 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Whether or not a particular chassis is considered bad, good, or amazing largely depends on how you intend to use it. Do you wanna crawl, haul, look scale, or all three?

When the original AX10 Scorpion came out, I was content to go walking speed and make the rig as capable as possible on the rocks, but hitting a jump, or kicking up dirt was the furthest thing from my mind.

After about two years of crawling the rocky parts of the Arizona desert, (I'm talking 55t motor, 2s lipo, tiny pinion, 9oz of lead per front wheel wrapped in electrical tape, all the old school dudes have been there) I finally got the itch to go fast again, but over the roughest terrain possible.

The release of the SCX10 was intriguing, but after driving one, I preferred the more capable AX10/2.2 setup over my less capable but more scale looking 1.9 Trail Honcho.

Fast foward to today, and I have zero interest in the crazy sporty rigs with insane breakover and dedicated crawling chassis. The Bomber is just too big for my taste, and IMO, less capable than my Gatekeeper. I've seen the bomber chassis roll hard on take offs, and I havent seen it crawl in videos better than the previous generation of sportys.

On my new Gatekeeper, I can pin the throttle (35t on 3s) on pavement, and there is zero torque twist. The chassis launches with total symmetry. (I should make a video) And when I creep the front end up a wall in my house, both wheels leave the wall at the same time when it rolls backwards. Give me some forward wheel weight, and delrin lower links, and I'm fairly certain it'll hang with 95% of today's sportys. Ultimately, my point is, that the gatekeeper is a stout chassis that can handle speed with ease.

Its simple, clean, just the right size, and with the new drivetrain, it gets the job done on all fronts. I do see a faster speedo/motor combo in the near future, but everything else is dialed.

I'm confident if any of you drove it today, you'd fall in love.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:21 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Gate keeper in fibreglass I built last year, total old school build. It's fun for what it is but it can't keep up with today's sportsman rigs, at all.

For bump & go rock racing it'll be fine.
Attached Images

Last edited by WHITE-TRASH; 08-08-2017 at 11:25 PM.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:29 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Sweet rig! I used to spray those 8-hole beadlocks black. I like your wording "Bump-n-go"! Thats my happy place.

If the new sportys are that much better, I may have spoken from a place of ignorance, lol.

Last edited by J.DUKE; 08-08-2017 at 11:33 PM.

AX-10/SCX-10.2 old school Hybrid crawler! Where to post build pics? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yet another Yeti...Just wanted to post some pics of my build. molina Axial Yeti 14 03-17-2015 10:30 PM
post your gc3a build pics tbilz Axial AX-10 Scorpion 0 06-02-2013 11:08 PM
High School Wheely King Crawler Build techteacher HPI Wheely King 13 02-17-2012 10:06 AM
NEW PICS! FC-1 Franken Crawler Version 1 RS10+ Gmade R1 Hybrid Draculeos Redcat Crawlers 14 06-21-2010 10:47 PM
I'll finally post some pics... (ax-10 build) zane! Axial AX-10 Scorpion 7 10-20-2009 05:57 PM