Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Father Daughter Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2017, 04:19 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Father Daughter Project

So, my daughter has been playing around with some of my rigs and the other day she asked if she could have her own. I know - cool right!?

Anyway, like most of us, I've got a ton of spares laying around. I had one of those "Integy" tube chassis that I was never going to do anything with, so I started a project with her. Honestly, this thing may not crawl that great, but it's been awesome spending the time with her and teaching her the basics.

Below are a couple pics of the build so far. Pretty sure this chassis was designed to be MOA because there is ZERO real estate for packaging electronics, etc. But, I fabbed up a little aluminum plate for the ESC at the back of the rig, and just below that I'm going to make another aluminum plate for the receiver. Then, up front, just under what would be the "windshield" area, I'm going to cut out the small cross member and make a battery tray for a smaller, LiPo pack. (probably something for Heli's/planes for size). I looked on FleaBay and found some 3S, 1200mah packs for around $20. Not a ton of run time, but perfect for her.

I'm really not sure who is having more fun - me or her! Also, she asked if we could paint the chassis and I quote, "a cool LIGHT BLUE, or GREEN." I told her I'd let her pick the paint herself. The best part of the whole deal is I think I have about $18 in to at this point as I had to buy AR60 axle bearing kits for the axles.
Attached Images

mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2017, 04:24 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Father Daughter Project

Looks pretty cool. Love the idea, too. I e tried to get my kids involved but it digresses to bumper cars after 15 minutes.

You wouldn't happen to have a link for that cage do you?
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:04 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Brake Weight - I know what you mean!

As far as the chassis, just go to Ebay and search "Integy Crawler Tube Chassis". You can find them for like $25-$30. Honestly, it's probably not the best chassis as far as quality, shock set-up, etc. And, it's gonna be tough packaging all the electronics - but, it's cheap and I know the kiddo will have fun with it so that's what counts!
Old 10-05-2017, 05:25 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

That is a cool and odd chassis. Looks like a GMade R1/Bomber love child with an scx10 drivetrain. Absolutely no mounting points either.

You may be able to make a tray and zip tie it on the front end as long as the servo clears. Then attach the ESC and Rx there. The battery on some sort of similar tray in the rear or possibly beside the tranny if it's skinny.

It looks different naked.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:10 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Yep - it's a small chassis with no shock positioning. (I may make a "ghetto" droop kit for it. I'm still playing around with placement of everything, but I think I will be able to cram everything in. I am considering a battery mount on front axle as well.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:40 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

If you're not 100% set on this exact chassis, have you looked at the GMade R1? The sides can be had on fleaBay for about $10-12. The advantage is there are two shock mount points, although close together, and several tabs for attaching panels. The Integy one has a useful front stinger that may prove very useful.

Use an Ax10 or Scx10 skid, homemade standoffs, and custom links.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:29 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

That thing looks good! I'm going to try and get everything together on this one. If she really starts getting in to it, I may buy that chassis for better shock mounting. All the parts i've used so far on it,
Including the skid, are from my AX10 which was upgraded over time.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:55 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Made a ton of progress last night and this morning. I got all the electronics situated and tidy. I was able to pickup a 3S 1200Mah LiPo flight pack from my LHS and it worked out great in terms of dimensions. (We'll see about run time - I've got this thing geared real low though so it should be good for 20-25 mins based on my calcs).

As far as mounting the battery, I was hemming and hawing about fabricating a battery tray, but sometimes the simplest solutions are the most elegant! Given the size of the pack, I was able to run it right through the frame rails and secure it with a velcro strap right to the front cross member. Super tight and secure. I'm probably going to fabricate a "hood" for this rig for additional protection though - Just need to figure out a mounting system that won't make it a pain in the a-- to remove for swapping out batteries.

I'm real pleased with the location and fitment of the ESC and Receiver as well. Fabbed up a couple simple aluminum plates for mounting points and used servo tape for the esc and rec. Now I'm just waiting for my LHS to open at noon so I can grab a servo extender cable and take this thing out for a shake down. Best part of this whole process as I mentioned before was working with my daughter on it. She was genuinely interested in what "we" were doing and why. Once we confirm everything is working properly, we'll strip it back down and I'll let her paint it up however she wants - she's probably the most excited about that!
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2017, 08:28 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

That came out looking good. An you do a side/profile shot and a head on shot? What sort of flex with those shocks?
Old 10-07-2017, 09:27 AM   #10

That's very cool!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:29 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Thanks man! I'm pretty pleased with it. After buying the servo cable extender today, I think I'll have a grand total of $25 in to it to get it running.

Below is a pic of flex from the front. I'm not getting full compression on one shock in front and one shock in rear. Think I just have a bit too much oil volume in those units. I'm also going to play around with the links set up. But, not bad for right outta the gate. I'll know more after I get her on the rocks today.
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2017, 09:44 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I think it'll just fine like that. It's flexing in a static position. If you force it by hand it'll top and bottom the shocks. It'll likely top/bottom them out on the rocks under its own power.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:26 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Just got done testing on my little backyard course. I was pleasently surprised how well it was working. Good articulation and flex with no binding anywhere. The rig is really light, and if there was one culprit in terms of hooking up / traction, it was the RTR version Trepadors that were on it. So, I guess i'm gonna have to spend a little more coin and get some good, soft tires. Maybe some Hyrax. The only other bugaboo was brown out. I thought I might be able to get away without running a BEC, but at turning lock it cuts out. No biggie though. I've got one laying around from another rig that's not being used. Can't wait to turn her loose with this thing and just let her thrash on it!
Old 10-07-2017, 11:51 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Whatever tire you get don't forget a good foam. If you're unsure just ask and someone who has had more experience will chime in. I'll go ahead and suggest the Crawler Innovations Double Deuce.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:16 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

That thing is rad! And great job placing the electronics, thats where i was thinking it should all go.

I love hearing about kids enjoying this hobby with parents all on thier own genuine interest. My 9 y/o son has a barrage and loves hitting the trails and looking for rock piles to conquer!

Cant wait to see some action shots!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 01:02 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Ok - So after being out of town all week for work, I was able to get the BEC installed in the F/D project machine. It's definitely the 10lbs of "stuff" in a 5lb sack with this chassis! But, overall, everything is packaged away pretty tidy and protected. Surprisingly, everything is pretty easy to get to / work on as well. Anyway, below are a few pics - First one shows where the BEC is stashed and next two are some quick action shots. I put my basher tires on (Duratrax Showdown's), and it hooks up way better. So good in fact, that it pulled the bead right out of the plastic beadlock wheels. I'm going to either have to glue and clamp these down in the beadlocks or get some new wheels! :o
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2017, 01:09 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I just put some Deepwoods on my Wraith using the same beadlocks, just not painted, and am currently waiting on a motor to show up for it. I noticed that the rubber on these is a lot softer/thinner than any of the other RTR and kit tires I have.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:28 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

So I decided to throw the beadlocks and Pitbull Rock Beast II's off my Wraith on this little rig for a bit. Wow! I was laughing to myself what this little thing was getting through and over. I think I'm going to add some universals up front versus the rtr dog bones I threw in that were cast offs from my AX10. That, and underdrive the rear. This thing should turn on a dime at that point. Can't wait for the kiddo to thrash on it now!
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2017, 01:30 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
I just put some Deepwoods on my Wraith using the same beadlocks, just not painted, and am currently waiting on a motor to show up for it. I noticed that the rubber on these is a lot softer/thinner than any of the other RTR and kit tires I have.
The Showdown's work surprisingly well! They are definitely a lot softer than rtr tires. It took about 2 packs to get mine scrubbed in nicely. I use them as my overall basher tire on the Wraith primarily.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:38 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Another shot. My backyard course is a bit grown over right now:(
Attached Images

Father Daughter Project - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
xr-10 father and son project. bert8975 Newbie General 3 03-01-2013 12:13 PM
Father-Son: Project Truggy Crawln Coles 2.2 Scale Rigs 28 08-04-2008 07:58 PM
father and son project chino438 Chit Chat 5 10-29-2007 07:29 PM